News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aero Tiger 36  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Richard Hutlet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Aero Tiger 36
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Howdy,

I can't get the OS engine I was going to put on the Vector 40 Kit I plan on building this winter.
A friend of mine suggested the Aero Tiger 36. Anyone had any experience with the engine and
would this be a good combo for that plane? Also can the engine be used out of the box
or are there mods that have to be done like the ones I was looking at if I had got the LA46.
FYI my supplier told me that OS is no longer making this engine.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Aero Tiger 36
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
Richard    use the search engine H^^
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Richard Hutlet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »
Worked great..Thankee  H^^

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
So is it true that OS have finally ceased manufacture of the LA46 or for that matter the rest of the LA series.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Richard Hutlet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
I deal with Great Hobbies up here in Canada. They had to special order
the engine from OS for me. When everything was ready to ship they phoned
me and told me that OS said they MIGHT put that engine back into production
in the spring, but highly doubted it for this year anyway. Maybe someone
with better connections than myself can verify that. D>K

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
Howdy,

I can't get the OS engine I was going to put on the Vector 40 Kit I plan on building this winter.
A friend of mine suggested the Aero Tiger 36. Anyone had any experience with the engine and
would this be a good combo for that plane? Also can the engine be used out of the box
or are there mods that have to be done like the ones I was looking at if I had got the LA46.

The Aero-Tiger is already modified, and it's one of the best 4-2 break engines ever made - straight out of the box.

There's also no very good modifications required for a 46LA, it also runs very well straight out of the box, although it will likely be too powerful to easily handle in this size model.

The Aero-Tiger is a much better choice for the Vector 40.

This notion that every engine now requires modifications to work is very strange. Almost every engine I ever tested (and that is A LOT, when you include the "small engine" experiment) worked pretty well if you put it in the right airplane with the right prop, with only minor tweaks and an appropriate venturo (on RC engines). I don't think I EVER found a particularly good internal modification and only in very rare special cases was adding head gaskets beneficial.

Brett

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
Hi Richard,
Try Tower Hobbies. They have the os la46-s in stock. Very good service.
Dan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Hi Richard,

I think the Aero Tiger .36 is the best .35-.40 stunt engine ever made!  I have used a couple and they are basically plug and play!  Getting the best prop for your plane and flying style is about all you need to do.

Thanks!
BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:01:25 AM »
Richard,

You might have some problems finding an Aerotiger.  The Thunder Tiger .36 Randy used to make them are no more  along with the other .36 size motors that were popular for stunt.  Best bet may be the BAY for a TT, or Magnum .36.  You could then talk to Randy about getting it reworked.  I did see that Brodak has found a new manufacturer for the .40 which should be available mid summer.

You could also go electric.  No prop flippin', or oil cleaning.  Big plus in your climate.  How many days above 50 deg up there?
Gonzo

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
The LA46/Vector combo is ubiquitous, an all time pop competition setup. The 46 can be run sloppy rich, even with the stock .283 venturi. That will slow the Vector down. I have seen many a Vector ambling along with an LA46 in the nose. Nice break when tuned to do the figures. I used an LA46 on a Tanager, a smaller lighter plane. It flew so slow folks often predicted imminent demise. But it hung out there. Very soft break at the top of the vertical eight and loops. One incredulous friend actually timed the laps. A legit 6 seconds. Issue for the Vector might be fuel consumption. The sloppy rich Tanager burned all of 6 ounces a pattern. The biggest tank I could fit in a Vector, without cutting into the leading edge, was 5 ounces. A smaller venturi, .257-272, available from Lee machine, will reduce fuel consumption. Also cut power. Look around at swaps and check RC listings for an LA46. The RC and Stunt version are the same internally. Use an FP40 needle through the venturi, when making a conversion. Supertigre type needles are thicker, more precise in adjustment, choke area is lessened when using those needles. A .283 venturi should work well with that needle.

Aerotigres are $240 list, if one is available. Excellent engines, true, if anything more powerful than an LA46. I have purchased LA46s for as little as $20. Most ran very well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here