News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kindly tell me about this old McCoy engine  (Read 2786 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Kindly tell me about this old McCoy engine
« on: January 15, 2015, 06:45:58 AM »
     Hi:

Can anybody tell me anything about an old McCoy engine that I have in the attic?

It has the following features:

All plain sand cast case.

Removable front and back crank case parts.

Rear straight intake that has no venturi and is set up to run on crankcase pressure.  It has a pressure style nva and a pressure fitting where a crankcase screw would be placed.

The prop drive is quite long with a spool that is keyed into the crankshaft via a 1/16" key.  The shaft has a 1/2" nut on the end of a male sleeve that require the props to be opened quite a bit. This nut also has has female threads that may be tapped for a spinner.

The piston has two rings and the compression is such that it gives me hope that I may be able to run it.

The head has the glow plug in the centre.

The right lug has the number 5XXX stamped into it.

Any of you Speed fliers remember an engine like this?  If so what is it?

I had a .36 and a .49 McCoy ignition engines that looked much looked this engine but they were black and had points on the front of the engine.

Any information about this engine?

Tia,

Frank McCune

I have not attempetd to run this engine nor do I think that it has ever been run.  I have owned this engine for many decades.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Kindly tell me about this old McCoy engine
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »
It reads like you have a Series 20 McCoy -60- Red Head Racing Engine. They were the mainstay of Class D or later, Class C, C/L Speed until the Rossi -60- was introduced in the mid 1960's. They were also used in Class D FF. Dura-Matic and Testors produced a ton of them.

There were two versions. The early one has a flat by-pass casting. The final version had some metal added in the form of bulges on each side of McCoy name on the by-pass. That gave some meat to open up the internal passage way.

I had one that would do mid 150's. The good guys went a lot faster.

It's a good, honest engine.

P.S. I don't now about the 5XXX on the lug. Neither of my Series 20's are serialized.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I have two McCoy Redhead .60's that were set up for carrier flying back in the day before Rossi came along.   Very strong engine and I won a lot of contests with the first one in a Sterling Gaurdian.   In fact I was just looking at them just this week.   Keep arguing with my self about building another Gaurdian to put the one in.   By the way they are the Bill Johnson throttle control set up.  How about a picture of yours.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 06:15:21 AM »
      Hi:

I should have posted that the engine in question has a 36 cast into the side of the crankcase! I hope that this helps!

I had a new McCoy .60 RH stolen from me before I had a chance to run it.  I wanted to see what they were all about but I will have to wait! They were the hot setup when I was a kid.

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
      Hi:

I should have posted that the engine in question has a 36 cast into the side of the crankcase! I hope that this helps!

I had a new McCoy .60 RH stolen from me before I had a chance to run it.  I wanted to see what they were all about but I will have to wait! They were the hot setup when I was a kid.

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Any way you can post a photo?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here