News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:54:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phoenix Vintage Race March 28  (Read 15848 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Phoenix Vintage Race March 28
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Central Arizona Control Line Club is having it's next vintage race March 28th at Esteban Park.
Rules are posted below:

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Phoenix Vintage Race March 28
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
would like to add the PDQ Circus King
rad racer

Offline darrell albert

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »
are her any suls to this race?
thanks
darrell

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:24:22 PM »
What does a racing clown look like?

MM

Offline darrell albert

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:38:20 AM »
sorry or miss spelled word.  hat I wanted to know is what were the results were.  number of racers, and times.
thanks
darrell

Jim Roselle

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15:46 AM »
What does a racing clown look like?

MM

Looks like a flying clown with 1" thick wing and 301 square inches.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »
sorry or miss spelled word.  hat I wanted to know is what were the results were.  number of racers, and times.
thanks
darrell

Sadly no results to report as participation was extremely low.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »
Looks like the SuperTiger C35 with baffled piston is a legal engine. Do the .25's have to run the 9-6?

There seems to be a big disparity in planes with Busters against racing clowns.

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
Very true. A Super Tigre Stunt 35 or a Johnson Stunt Supreme would rise to the top of the field, if you still have healthy one. 
9/6 or a 25 or 35?  Go with the 35.
Paul Smith

Jim Roselle

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
Looks like the SuperTiger C35 with baffled piston is a legal engine. Do the .25's have to run the 9-6?

There seems to be a big disparity in planes with Busters against racing clowns.

MM

All motors run the 9/6. Rules are being modified to specify plain bearing .25s. As far as plane disparity, contestants should choose their model wisely.

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
The difference 300 and 400 square inches of wing comes down to how many flips at the pit stop.
Paul Smith

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »

looks like the S/T flat top C35 would be legal
rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
Yep, C35 or a JCS or a K&B Greenhead.

I've never heard of a Racing Clown up until today.
Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »
I've seen allot of events come and go over the course of racing for 50 years so take my advise. The event doesn't really make sense. You want sport fliers to bring out what they've got and have fun but anyone with racing experience can cherry pick through those rules and come up with a spoiler set up. Then of course the rules get changed and alienate the serious people OR it becomes a one set up event with a treasure hunt for an engine and all the sport fliers think it's too hard and the whole thing suffers from lack of participation either way. When you have such a tooty fruity blend of equipment you need some kind of equalizer like a speed limit or something.

MM

P.S. Safety thongs and spider wire in racing??

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »

P.S. Safety thongs and spider wire in racing??
Spider wire OK, safety thongs a very bad idea.  The ability to instantly change hands comes in very handy in tight situations.  Prevents entanglements that would otherwise occur.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
While I have no interest in the event, I am interested in what a CLC Racing Clown is.

Also, every racing event should just pick one specific set on lines and stick to it.  Playing games with line selection has no place in Racing.

If you want to fiddle with lines do it in stunt, scale, or fun flying.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
While I have no interest in the event, I am interested in what a CLC Racing Clown is.

Also, every racing event should just pick one specific set on lines and stick to it.  Playing games with line selection has no place in Racing.

If you want to fiddle with lines do it in stunt, scale, or fun flying.
Truly, I hope you nor anyone else gets angry with me for this but .... why not??  Why not fiddle with line selection especially if the new materials for the lines have been shown to be safe and acceptable??  We fiddle with props, prop construction, airfoils, covering, wheels/tires, fuel, engines, plugs, and even the fit of the handles, right???

So why not the lines?? I mean other than the physical materials of construction, what's the difference in whether one uses 014 with single kink point failure/rejection solids versus 015 stranded or 018 stranded with multiple kinks to failure/rejection and what seems like a much greater pull strength versus 60# or 80# Spiderwire with no kinks to failure/rejection and even greater/snapping pull strength.  Again, please don't bet angry but help me understand the logic and differences or at least point me to someone who can, please.

I mean, unless I misread some postings Spiderwire and similar products are acceptable in fast combat where "destruction is the accepted standard of the sport, isn't it? So why not racing where line contact is essentially nil except in Team Race events??  We're in a whole new century with a myriad of changes in products, manufacturing techniques and quality controls over what was the standard bearers in the "last century", many of which today, clearly outshine the capabilities and safety of "what was" thinking and technology.

All I'm seeking is a sound bit of information based on testing, use and actual trial versus "that's the way it was and that's the way it will be .... period"!!

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01:22 PM »

Jim, i would like to appoint u to do a test on all the diff types of lines and then get back to us with the results
rad racer

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
Jim, i would like to appoint u to do a test on all the diff types of lines and then get back to us with the results
  :D Okay!  I accept the challenge .... it sounds like it could be great fun and a huge learning opportunity.  I hope no one minds but I may have to call upon you and some others to help an provide some guidance in developing a sound, intelligent summary of the results.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here