News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What should I know about the Enya 19 V?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What should I know about the Enya 19 V?
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Just won an Enya 19 V cheap off of eBay.  It looks to be in good shape, but I need to make a needle valve for it, and make or get a muffler.

I got it because -- due to annual flooding of my usual flying field -- I've had my eye on the AquaBat design for ages.  The Aquabat was published in 1954, and calls out a K&B 19 -- I was wondering if this engine compares, or if I need to keep my eyes out for something smaller or older.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3456

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What should I know about the Enya 19 V?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
We (NW Skyraiders) had a Streak Trainer with an Enya 19, side mounted with stock strap-on muffler. Turned out to be a bad deal side mounting this engine with the muffler. The muffler contacts the ground (concrete airport ramp) and puts a torque on the crankcase, breaking it. I think an upright or inverted mounting would have had a better chance of survival. Another interesting weirdness is that some of the Enya .19's have the same mounting bolt pattern...and some don't. Otherwise, they run ok for sport flying. Not your best bet for Clown Racing, IMHO.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
I have a handful of these and they are long-lasting.  They have a bit more power than my Torpedo Greenhead .19.  Several I have are converted from RC with Jim Lee venturi and Brodak needle/spraybar assemblies.  Use at least 25% oil.  They pull my Clowns like a bat with O&R 9-5s.  Never tried mufflers on them.  I think they would pull something like a light Ringmaster sized airplane quite well.  Pretty similar to a Veco .19.

Dave

Addendum:  As I read the thread it occurred to me I mentioned the clowns right after the post on clown racing.  I don't race mine- they are trainers and maybe balloon busters so I wasn't commenting on that.  Just for sport/stunt use.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:13:49 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
The muffler contacts the ground (concrete airport ramp) and puts a torque on the crankcase, breaking it.

I shall try to keep the plane out of the hands of someone who may bounce the muffler off of pavement, then.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Leave it to Steve to fly a training flight on concrete.  An Enya IV will fly a Flite Streak just fine or REALLY fly an Akromaster.  The Akromaster did not have a takeoff run.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:09:12 PM by Russell Shaffer »
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »
Our flying site is paved. We don't currently have a grass site. When you have a willing beginner, you just roll the dice and hope, right?  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »
I knew you would have an answer.  Did your beginner come back?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
Well, the beginner was a teen girl niece of a new member. We haven't seen him in a couple years, mostly because he works nights and weekends a lot. And of course, not her, either. Anyway, it is what it is.  :( Steve

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
      Hello Tim:

Your Enya .19 will make a very good Sport engine.

I have had them in the past and still have one, and found them to be:

powerful, easy starting, easy to manage, and built to last a very long time!  Given the correct fuel, 25% castor oil, they will run very well and last forever!

In the 70's. I flew combat with a chap who used one in FAI combat and he was as fast of not faster than I was when I was  running a ST G.15 on pressure! I thought that my FAI Nemisis was the hot setup but little did know that his ugly Enya was a beast!  I know that it was too much displacement for FAI but we had to run what we brung in those days.

Enjoy the Enya!  Oh yes, parts are still available!

Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here