News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunder Tiger engines/discontinued?  (Read 7915 times)

Offline dennis lipsett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thunder Tiger engines/discontinued?
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Saw a post on RCU that said that they were gone and went to Tower site and checked. All of the smaller engines 28/42/46 either GP or Pro are gone also most of the larger ones are gone but if they have any inventory it shows limited quantity.
A shame if true as they were good value for the money even if they were not for the most part stunt motors.
More importantly I hope that it is not an acceleration of a trend.
Obviously I'm not saying anything with any certainty so perhaps it could also mean that Tower is no longer going to be a distributer for TT products.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Re: Thunder Tiger engines/discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Appears you are correct in that Tower Hobbies is no longer the US distributor for Thunder Tiger.  I fly a couple in some RC models and they are a fine engine.  From their corporate website:

"HRP Distributing was recently received our exclusive distribution rights for Thunder Tiger products in the North American market, effective January 1st, 2015. We feel this will enhance the long term diversification progression within our company. We are excited to be adding another quality extension to our new brand of TTRobotix we currently handle. For your convenience, inventories will be available from three warehouses which will expedite delivery, leverage free freight programs to over 1000 hobby dealers, ensure parts support, and employ a dedicated Thunder Tiger customer service staff. HRP will also work with Thunder Tiger in the research and development process to bring state-of-the-art products to the North American market."

http://www.thundertiger.com/news-detail.php?id=22&lang=en

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
With so many people going electric,  why stay in production making IC engines that may not sell? S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
With so many people going electric,  why stay in production making IC engines that may not sell? S?P

PHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTT>>>>>...........

Phooey on top of it!!!

Randy Cuberly!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:54 AM »
The site does not include any engines for sale. They had previously to this announcement discontinued about 5 engines in their line up. I thought then that the handwriting might be on the wall. All of their Helis are now electric as well.
 All that now needs to happen is for OS to discontinue the LA series.

Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »
I think I have enough LA's to last the rest of my life time unless a myrical  comes along to prolong an active life.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

George Hostler

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
I just took a look at Tower's site, and yes, the TT's are gone, rather sad, along with a good portion of all the other makes of engines. They had a really nice "green" .18 that was one of the first to disappear about 7 or 8 years ago. Others have commented it was a decent sport engine. Fox and Super Tigre I see "on order" or some other reasons that have persisted for a long time, telling me they'll probably never return. I've got enough Testors McCoys, Enyas, K&Bs, OS Maxes and etc. to keep me occupied for a while, so their in their absence won't be missed.

As the electric CL stuff gains greater maturity, I foresee electric as the future direction, to ensure the persistence of CL, but for that will probably be a while.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
(snip)

As the electric CL stuff gains greater maturity, I foresee electric as the future direction, to ensure the persistence of CL, but for that will probably be a while.

It will be a while.  People still fly spark ignition engines from the '40s. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »
So who is HRP Distributing?  I've never heard of them.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
So who is HRP Distributing?  I've never heard of them.

Google is your friend.  A search on HRP Distributing got this page: http://www.hrpdealer.com/index.html.

They say they've been in business for 25 years, and their line card looks extensive, with a number of well-established names.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Sig took over Seagull models, that was something that Tower had also. Maybe things are not going so good for Tower.

Steve

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
Sig took over Seagull models, that was something that Tower had also. Maybe things are not going so good for Tower.

Steve

steve,

Tower has a long reputation of acquiring companies and then dis continuing them.  I will say that their product lines have shrunk in favor of imported arf products.
Perhaps Sig was a better fit for Seagull models product line. It is difficult for me to make up an order to Tower very often. There just isn't enough product that I need from them.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
I didn't get very far from Tim's link, but managed to find their consumer site and the index of brands they distribute in the hobby trade.  D>K Steve

http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/Shop-By-Brand-s/15.htm
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

George Hostler

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
It will be a while.  People still fly spark ignition engines from the '40s. ;D Bill

Move the clock forward 20 years, I've got a few A.C. Gilbert .11's that I plan for a suitable airframe.  ;D

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 05:34:56 AM »
I was wondering if the new distributor was going to stock the Thunder Tiger Cyclone props so sent them an email. This was the reply..

----- Original Message -----
To: Bob Reeves
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2014 1:20 PM
Subject: RE: Thunder Tiger Cyclone Propellers

Hello Bob, we are still receiving inventory from TT, we should have everything that we are going to carry listed on our site by the end of January when the transition is complete. Keep checking back with us as we continue to add Thunder Tiger product every day.

Thanks, Jeff

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM, "Bob Reeves" wrote:

Discovered you are the new distrubuter for Thunder Tiger, wondering if you guys are going to stock Thunder Tiger Cyclone Propellers? Especially interested in the 11.3 X 6.5 but have interest in other sizes also. They are not listed on your web site.

Thanks
Bob Reeves

George Hostler

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Did a search on "engine" within TT product line, netted nothing. I guess they are still in the process of gathering and documenting their inventory.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here