News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Texan Style tank ?????  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Texan Style tank ?????
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Friends!

I do not know if I'll be right, but here in Chile we known use the tank to the inner side of the fuselage as "Texan Style".
Many of us have encountered the problem of limited space to place the tank in the traditional way on a profile fuselage, then the use of this "texan style" would be the solution, but I could not find information about it. Anyone have any plan of this tank, information about pros and cons ??

Regards!!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Texan Style tank ?????
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
Typically an inboard mounted tank is only used with an inboard mounted engine on competitive aerobatic aircraft. Some sport and non-aerobatic models use this setup, but having the tank so far inboard relative to the spraybar is less than ideal fuel system geometry. A wide tank that actually goes through the fuselage would be better, as long as the pickup and vent are properly located.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
I'm having good luck with that mounting, using an RC clunk tank.  It's on a plane that I'm using for testing some electronics, but it flies the whole pattern and has a dead steady engine run.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
Hello Miguel,
                 It's not a very serious airplane
and it's not a very specific picture, but for
what it's worth, the "Texas" style outside
tank has not caused any problems at all.
I never even think about it.

A good thing is how it has the copper tubing
passing through the fuselage. It makes the
installation very tidy and simple.

The engine is a LA,25 and the tank is a
4oz Sullivan clunk tank.

Cheers! - K.

Keith Morgan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Do as search here on the list for posts by Jim Thomerson. Maybe he will see this and chime in, but Jim has described and maybe posted drawings for a chicken hopper type set up where the inboard larger tank feeds a smaller outboard tank. As far as a "Texas style" name, I think it was Frank Williams (I'm not really sure) of the Texas gang that published a Bearcat profile with the engine and tank mounted on the inboard side and I think it was in Model Aviation. Custom Models was a Texas company and put out a few kits of some profiles, the Forerunner being one, that depicted the engine and tank installed this way. There should be quite a bit on the list here.
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »
Simple way is to use a single Hayes tank mounted inboard side, with engine mounted either inboard or outboard. Dan Rutherford ("Dirty Dan") did a lot of experiments with this on ARF Flite Streaks with OS .21 FP engines. Well, he did use as many as three needle valve assemblies, but that doesn't matter much. Use muffler pressure!

I think you'll find that with the tank inboard and engine outboard, the engine will richen as centrifugal force builds. With the engine inboard, that should reduce, but then you will again have not enough space. Be aware that your wingtip weight will change for each setup.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »
Here are a couple photos of the nose of the Ringmaster I sometimes fly in Old Time. Have a couple other profiles set up the same way and they all work well. Hays tank on muffler pressure, bent tubes epoxied behind engine to carry fuel and pressure lines from one side to the other. Clean, neat and it works..

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:05:31 AM »
One 'pro' is that when overhead (that is to say the tank at its furthermost  centrifugally from the jet) you will get a beneficial leaning out effect where you most need it.

And if the effect is too great then there is nothing stopping most engines from being mounted 'Team Race' style on the other side of the bearers (using the top of the lugs as the contact surface.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here