News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Tools Ultrasonic Cleaners  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Harbor Freight Tools Ultrasonic Cleaners
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:19 AM »
Good?  Bad?  Looking for the voices of experience with the critters ...  TIA!

Dennis
 8)

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Harbor Freight Tools Ultrasonic Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
Dennis, I have a HF model 03305 cleaner and it leaves a lot to be desired.  It's limited to water-based solvents, and has a built-in 3 minute timer.  For items I've cleaned with water and soap (alkaline) or water and vinegar (acid) it takes several cycles to show any results.  You can get around the solvent issue by putting parts and solvent in a plastic zip-lock bag (assuming your solvent will not dissolve the plastic bag) then immersing it in water, but the 3 minute cycle cannot be changed on this model.  FYI.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
Dennis,

I to have one and have been less than satisfied with it. That 3 min. timer is a b6%$& AFSIC (to say nothing about the solution). So mine is just sitting there taking up space while I use the anti freeze/crock pot method to do most all of my cleaning.

Result: Poor investment for engine parts. Might be a good thing for jewelry.

Cheers, Jerry

PS: Don't ever use ammonia to clean aluminum unless you want a blackish engine. (Don't ask me how I know) HB~>

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the odd man out.  I have their larger unit and have used it for motorcycle carbs for years.  I use the solvent that they sell for the their large parts cleaner.  Use full strength, with heat, and three or four cycles. Carbs come out beautiful. 
AMA 34849

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
  I haven't tried it yet, but I understand full strength Pinsol cleaner (original formual) makes a good carb cleaner. Found that tid bit of info on the Penton Owners Group list and the guy who suggested it is usually dead on with his advise. Might work well for other stuff. I have a small ultasonic cleaner but haven't needed it yet. WHat is the part number or model number for the larg unit?
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!  Just looking at the specs, I thought that 3 minute timer would be a real pain, and I'd be inclined to go with the larger unit.  But the 3 month warranty doesn't impress.  My own limited experience with Harbor Freight has been about 50-50:  either good, or "why did I but that piece of junk?".

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
Pearson Dental Supply. Used in dental labs.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:59 AM »
      Hello:

I have been using the model 95663 for awhile and I like it.

I have used dishwashing detergent mixed with water cleaning all types of  "stuff."  It has worked to perfection. It has removed all types of dirt and gunge from engine parts jewerly,etc.  I have not tried a petro based solvent in it yet as I have not found a need to do so. It works a well as an expensive model that I burned out by being ignorant about the used of an US cleaner.  Mine also has a heater on it to warm the solvent. This model sells for $90.00.

One thing that I did learn in the past, is to permit the unit to cool after a use.  They do not have an one hundred percent duty cycle.  Perhaps a 50/50 duty cycle.  I destroyed my expensive cleaner by not permitting it to cool between cycles.  The model that I have has settings for 60, 120, 240 and 480 seconds.  I have only used the 480 second setting.  It really cleans jewerly at that setting!  Engine parts came out very clean!  I even used it to clean the parts for small engine carbs and they too were very clean! They looked like new.

For the price. I would take a chance unless one could find a better unit at the same price.  I shopped for a cleaner and I could not find anything of the sixe of this one for about the same money.

Stay well,

Frank 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here