News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Jr gets a Fox  (Read 3689 times)

George Hostler

• Trade Count: (0)
Ringmaster Jr gets a Fox
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:07:01 AM »
Replaced the OS Max .15FP-S with the Fox .15-X on my Ringmaster Jr. Spacing between front and rear holes were close enough, that I could persuade it to mount on one side. Will have to redrill holes to fit the other and refill the OS 15FP holes with 1/8" dowel glued in place. Since the Fox is lighter, I removed 4 out of the 6 fender washers in the tail. .... and thanks, Dennis Lipsett for the needle valve.

When I get a chance, will see how she flies with this lighter engine. Because the OS Max is heavy required roughly 2 ounces in the tail. It flew like a lead sled. It certainly didn't stunt as well as My Ringmaster S-1 with Testors McCoy .35 Red Head.

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Ringmaster Jr gets a Fox
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:01:59 AM »
Good move, George. I was stationed there 40 years ago and know what it's like to fly at that altitude. Every extra ounce hurts.

I flew my 1980 vintage Ring Jr the weekend of the fly-a-thon with a Super Tiger G15 and was reminded the hard way of how sluggish the model is with that engine. If only the ground was a foot lower when I did that second outside loop. Minimal damage, though it needed the fuselage replaced anyhow. I will probably dig out my 15X and use it after the repairs are done.

Good luck,

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
I would suggest an 8"x4" prop. Anything larger and the Fox .15X runs like a dog. I found that out the hard way.

Funny thing, ALL my Fox .15's seem to run best on either an 8x4 or a 7x6, no matter what vintage...from the Rocket 15 to the Schnuerles.

Another good engine for the RM Jr. is the Enya .09. That is what I have on mine. 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

George Hostler

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Bob, congrats on your service to the country when serving at Cannon. :) Yes, living at this 4,300 feet elevation is a little different but I've been able to make the best of it when flying.  ;D

The OS .15FP-S is a good and powerful engine but heavy, would be better in a plane that has at least 100 more square inches or so I gather, something around 300 square inches. I imagine your Super Tigre is similar.

George, thanks for the inputs. I gather an 8x3 prop would also be good for the Fox .15-X, except that no one seems to make that one any more. I'm wondering if a 7x7 prop might also work, will have a better chance of experimenting when I give it a shot.

I really love the Enya .09-III's, they are a fantastic and powerful engine. I also found that to hand start, they seem to love the lighter inertia wood props. They put out plenty of thrust on a 7x6 prop. They compare very well with the plain bearing sport Schneurle .09's and .10's when properly propped.  ~>

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
I would guess that an FP 10 (if they made it) or an LA 10 (which is out of production, but which was made) may be better -- yes, it's "too small", but you're comparing a modern Schnuerle screamer with an old baffle-piston engine, so it's kinda apples to oranges.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »

the old Green Head K&B  15 was a perfect match for the ringmaster JR,  did my First Loops with that setup, could pull up and do 3 loops before running out of room  ( most of the time )
rad racer

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »
the old Green Head K&B  15 was a perfect match for the ringmaster JR,  did my First Loops with that setup, could pull up and do 3 loops before running out of room  ( most of the time )

It wasn't too bad with a Cub .14 either. :-)

I think my first Ringmaster Jr. kit cost $1.50! 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

George Hostler

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
I would guess that an FP 10 (if they made it) or an LA 10 (which is out of production, but which was made) may be better -- yes, it's "too small", but you're comparing a modern Schnuerle screamer with an old baffle-piston engine, so it's kinda apples to oranges.
Yes, OS made a 10FP. Thunder Tiger in the Magnum series made a plain bearing 10GP, which is similar. Others have confirmed that the Schneurles in this size are appropriate for the Ring Jr. Dennis Lipsett has also suggested such an engine. Also AFAIK an AP/ASP .09 Hornet would work, too.

From what I gather, the Ringmaster Jr. was suited for the .15's of the day, which were less powerful than even the later cross scavenged engines such as the OS Max and Enya III's.

Along a similar note, been looking for a CL plan to use with my AC Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. Seems planes like the 24" span Testors Sophomore 9 and 26" DeBolt All American that use a McCoy 9 or McCoy 098 are a good match.  :)!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:46:51 PM by George Hostler »

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »
Yessiree Bob ! The Ringmaster Jr. is the airplane I learned how to fly inverted with.  Mine had a Fox 19 about 1962.  Flew very well with that engine.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
OK Cub .14 in a Ringmaster Jr. was my first successful flight other than 1/2A, c.1954.  And the kit sold for $1.95.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
It just dawned on me that I have been flying a JR with .15X for awhile. .015x52 lines and a Master 7x5. Nice combo. The motor revs a bit and sounds very happy.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
The Jr. Ring engine choice has perplexed me for a while. I am a big advocate of matching the right engine to a given airframe.

My first choice was the 15X due to the lower weight, but it was super nose heavy and would require more than an oz of weight on the back end to correct. I settled on the Fox .10, but it is a gutless piece of junk and I could only mush through stunts.

My next choice will be the Cox .09 TD or Medallion.

I think some of the problem is I built mine from a Brodak kit which came with really good wood whereas the Sterling kit is heavier. This is one case where a heavier fuse is preferable.

I hope the Fox works for you George, removing all that weight looks promising.

Ron

George Hostler

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Ron, I've still got about a half ounce of counterweight in the tail with the Fox. Sounds like the Fox .10 was a weaker engine from a bygone era. Yes, divorcing some weight should make a big difference, and I am told the Fox .15X is a reasonably powerful engine. The heavier OS would have required shortening the fuselage nose to reduce the weight. Some have done that. I've bench run the Fox before and it will perform. Next it will be interesting to try it out.

George Hostler

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Another good engine for the RM Jr. is the Enya .09. That is what I have on mine.
George, I took a look at the performance specs between the Fox .15X and Enya .09-III. On 5% nitro, the interesting thing is the Enya puts out a touch more power, 0.19 BHP versus 0.17 BHP for the Fox. In essence, being only 0.1 ounce heavier, the Enya would be a good replacement as well. Overall I really like my Enya engines, even though cross scavenged, when properly propped they put out decent power. Enya's are good engines.  :)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
I think you will be pleased with the for 15x.

I had a nose heavy akromaster with an os la 10. I swapped the LA  10 for the fox 15x and it now flies way better.

I learned to fly on a ringmaster Jr with a fox .19 in the early 70s. It was not a good combination. I always hated the fox 19 for some reason. I remember it being hard to start. That plane was a screamer...

-Dan

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
I like these little engines most of mine came used from EBay and needed needle valves, I have had good luck with ST needle valves in them . Just remember that its not a 4\2 engine it will do a 2\2 if you needle it just right , in a 4 stroke it has no power at all. Have had good luck with Master Airscrew 8x4 props . T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
One thing to remember is that these planes were designed before mufflers were used so with a muffler plus tail weight to achieve balance yields a heavier plane than originally intended.

You can compensate for various engine power by adjusting line length. 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

George Hostler

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
George, I'm running mine unmuffled since the flying field I use doesn't require them. When I visit the Kansas City, MO area, Doc Holliday's field on the Kansas side doesn't require them either.

When I do my Sterling S-17 Lockheed P-38 profile build, I'll be running the Enya .09-III's unmuffled. George, I think your observation is spot on, these Sterling kits were designed with unmuffled engines of the day to begin with, seeing how the moments are set up.

I think you will be pleased with the for 15x. I had a nose heavy akromaster with an os la 10. I swapped the LA  10 for the fox 15x and it now flies way better.

Dan, for now I'm sticking with the Fox .15X, I like the Ringmaster Jr. as it is a comfortable ship to fly and the two previous engines on it, the OS .15FP and Enya .15-III were very easy starting and ran Wet-2 well. I'm thinking the Fox .15X will be the same way, too.  ;)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
Hey George, we don't have the circle in the industrial complex any more.  Seems it was zoned agricultural and can't be used for recreation.   Our new field is now almost due west of me down close to the Kaw(Kansas) River.  Closest house is over a mile away on the other side of a bean field.   If we can keep the mudders on the road it is exceptable right now.   It is on Park property and Dave Trible is working hard on this one. 

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

George Hostler

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Hey George, we don't have the circle in the industrial complex any more. Seems it was zoned agricultural and can't be used for recreation. Our new field is now almost due west of me down close to the Kaw(Kansas) River. Closest house is over a mile away on the other side of a bean field. If we can keep the mudders on the road it is exceptable right now. It is on Park property and Dave Trible is working hard on this one.
That's great, John. Glad to see you call can still fly. It's odd how the law works like that. I'd understand putting up a motocross or raceway track. Regardless, glad to see you all find a place to fly. I'll send you a PM next time I'm in the area.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here