News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seasons  (Read 31452 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Seasons
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »
I have been trying to think of the  title for this post/thread.  So I hope it works.   Here in Kansas we are into what is our building season, even though we do get out and fly when temp is right with no gales.  Those in the southern hemisphere are just starting or well into their flying season.   My question is those who reside along the equator.   Do they have Spring Summer or is it Fall Summer.   They surely don't have a winter like I'm used too.  Yes I know there are areas that fly year round in both the northern and southern hemisphere that have the four seasons.   Just another thought going through this old mans head.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Seasons
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
They only have summer year-round, some places have a wet season and a dry season superimposed on that.   Some are wet nearly year round, some places are dry year-round.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Since the earth is tilted on its axis, those at the equator will see more sunshine throughout the year than anyone else.  Their sun rises and falls in the south for half year, then rises and sets in the north the rest of the year.

Here in Oregon, the sun only shows by request, and I haven't found the right "password" for it.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Well it does snow on the equator depending on the elevation. So my conclusion is if it snows it must have four seasons depending on where you are at.
AMA 12366

George Hostler

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
Singapore is situated on the Equator and has the following average annual weather temperatures, from
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=SNXX0006

MonthLowHighPrecip
January73.6°85.8°7.8"
February74.3°87.8°6.1"
March75°88.5°6.7"
April75.7°89.1°5.6"
May76.3°88.9°6.2"
June76.1°88.2°5.5"
July75.6°87.4°5.7"
August75.6°87.4°5.6"
September75°87.3°7"
October75°88°6.6"
November74.5°86.9°9.9"
December73.9°85.3°NA

Judging by the data and they are at sea level, I'd surmise that it is summer for them year round. However, similar to Okinawa, they get about 80" of rain a year. Building season would be when there are periods of rainfall. Sometimes rain may fall for a week or more. Thus building would be year round as well as flying.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
Hmmm...as one who likes constant warm weather, a move to S'pore might not be a bad idea.

Tucson is nice, but summers here are broiling, and winters are too chilly for this old man.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
I have been trying to think of the  title for this post/thread.  So I hope it works.   Here in Kansas we are into what is our building season, even though we do get out and fly when temp is right with no gales.  Those in the southern hemisphere are just starting or well into their flying season.   My question is those who reside along the equator.   Do they have Spring Summer or is it Fall Summer.   They surely don't have a winter like I'm used too.  Yes I know there are areas that fly year round in both the northern and southern hemisphere that have the four seasons.   Just another thought going through this old mans head.

Hi John

I was 4 times (2008-2011) in December at Gran Canaria Islands which is very close to the equator and
joined 3 times (2009-2011) the yearly Intl. CL Contest in Stunt Advance and Speed Limit Combat.
Alberto Parra , President of Club Tamaran ,once told me that wintermonth (DEC.-Feb.) are the best time
to fly CL because less winds. During summerseason its much more difficult to fly CL because to much stronger winds.
One of many other very good parts (like food and wine) of the comp. ,
sunshine at 22-23 degrees Celsius at daytime and 18 degrees Celsius at nighttime in December.

http://www.clubtamaran.com/v&v2011resu.htm

I think this was published at CLW Magazine 2 times (2011+2012).

Best regards Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:55:37 AM by Peter Grabenstein »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Since the earth is tilted on its axis, those at the equator will see more sunshine throughout the year than anyone else.  Their sun rises and falls in the south for half year, then rises and sets in the north the rest of the year.

Here in Oregon, the sun only shows by request, and I haven't found the right "password" for it.

F.C.

In 1988 after being laid off at Garrett, along with 600 other engineers, I Job Shopped for several months at Boeing starting in September.  I don't remember seeing the sun the whole time I was there.  Good people, good job, lousy climate...not for me!
I'm a confirmed "Desert Rat"!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
F.C.

Always thought that rising in the East and setting in the West was the rule.
Where I live it sets Dec 6 and will rise Jan 6, but in summer it forgets to set at all and just circles us mid to late June.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

George Hostler

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
In Singapore, the Equinox occurs in the months of March and September. There, the sun rises at 6am and sets at 6pm. In June, the sun is in the north, the sun rises at 7am and sets at 7pm. During December, the sun is in the south, rising at 7am and setting at 7pm. You don't have daylight savings time. About the only thing may be finding a place to fly in an island city of a diameter of about 26 miles with 5-1/2 million people living on it. People do it, AFAIK mostly quieter electric flight for RC. I don't know if there is any CL flying in Singapore, although I'd think that since it requires less field size might be possible.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »

Always thought that rising in the East and setting in the West was the rule.
Where I live it sets Dec 6 and will rise Jan 6, but in summer it forgets to set at all and just circles us mid to late June.

I'd been wanting to ask Gordon VT what he's doing in Yellow Knife? I've been as far as Gibbon, AB and considered driving as far as YK, "just because". However, there's no funding for such a drive anymore. <sigh>  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:43:44 AM »
We have four seasons here.  "Can't fly, it's too windy and dark", "can't fly, it's raining", "ooh, we can fly!", and "can't fly, it's rainy and dark".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »
In Singapore, the Equinox occurs in the months of March and September. There, the sun rises at 6am and sets at 6pm. In June, the sun is in the north, the sun rises at 7am and sets at 7pm. During December, the sun is in the south, rising at 7am and setting at 7pm. You don't have daylight savings time. About the only thing may be finding a place to fly in an island city of a diameter of about 26 miles with 5-1/2 million people living on it. People do it, AFAIK mostly quieter electric flight for RC. I don't know if there is any CL flying in Singapore, although I'd think that since it requires less field size might be possible.

Hi George

Sure, there is CL flying in Singapore.
The Clubs are also on facebook.

http://www.clubtamaran.com/singapur.htm

http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/index/

Peter  H^^

Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

F.C.
Being situated on the equator brings up a more important question . . . when they flush the toilet, which way does the water spin? Or does it? Does it just go straight down without spinning?

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

George Hostler

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Hi George Sure, there is CL flying in Singapore. The Clubs are also on facebook. http://www.clubtamaran.com/singapur.htm http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/index/ Peter  H^^

Thanks, Peter. I looked at their facebook page, and they have something really nice going on, that of children, guessing ages 10 to 12 with profile solid balsa trainers sporting a Cox .049 Sure Start on the front. That is neat. I've never seen that in US. What a wonderful way to introduce kids into something that is beneficial and will help keep them out of trouble.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
At the worlds in 2004 the Singapore team made a great impression on me during F2C flying.   They were well organized and I thought very competitive. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »

I had a business trip to Singapore in December 2013,  there is a small group of dedicated filers there.  Flying locations are hard to obtain, everything is expensive there, and the basement or garage workshop is not an option.  So there are hurdles that one must overcome.  They fly mostly 1/2a airplanes.  The group does stem training for local middle school students.

http://www.justflyit.org

I got to fly with them as the weekend I was there was their contest.  They flew balloon bust and mouse race.  Great people a lot of fun. 

There are 2 seasons dry and rainy season,  both are too hot for me  :).  The rainy seasons is a little cooler but breezy, humid and can relay rain. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »
You can get a good idea of seasons by taking your latitude plus or minus 23 degrees, the latitude of the tropics.

Take Detroit for example, 42 degrees north latitude. 
The longest day of the year has a 19 degree sun angle, which is tropical.  You fly or play golf from 6 AM to 10 PM.
The shortest day has 65 degrees - near arctic.  If you have regular job you never see the sun.  Build planes or fly in the dome.
Paul Smith

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Hey Brian.  If you have been on the equator, you will know that they can't have flush toilets there.  Since Coriolis is neither left or right at the equator, the water doesn't flush at all!  Most people there have outhouses.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

George Hostler

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
Hey Brian. If you have been on the equator, you will know that they can't have flush toilets there. Since Coriolis is neither left or right at the equator, the water doesn't flush at all!  Most people there have outhouses. Floyd

A city of 5.5 million like Singapore has modern septic facilities.  n1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
Nothing like seeing it in action.   Thanks.    Now I suppose they have summer - almost summer - summer - almost summer - summer and on and on.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

George Hostler

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
Nothing like seeing it in action. Thanks. Now I suppose they have summer - almost summer - summer - almost summer - summer and on and on.

John, Dave gave a good explanation of the weather there:

I had a business trip to Singapore in December 2013,  there is a small group of dedicated filers there. [....] I got to fly with them as the weekend I was there was their contest. They flew balloon bust and mouse race. Great people a lot of fun. There are 2 seasons dry and rainy season,  both are too hot for me :). The rainy seasons is a little cooler but breezy, humid and can relay rain.

Okinawa was similar, except being further north at the same latitude as Miami, FL is a little cooler during winter. After going through two years, I surmised the difference between a dry day and and a wet day was during a dry day, it rained half a day. During a wet day it rained all day. :o

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »

Interesting
AMA 12366

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
Hmmm...as one who likes constant warm weather, a move to S'pore might not be a bad idea.

Tucson is nice, but summers here are broiling, and winters are too chilly for this old man.

Are you sure?

89 °F   annual average high   31 °C
76 °F   annual average low   25 °C
Singapore's average daily temperature fluctuates by only a couple of degrees over the course of a year. Overall, December and January are the coolest months. The highest daytime temperatures occur in April, while the warmest nights are during May and June.

precipitation iconPrecipitation
86.3 inches   total yearly precipitation   2192 millimetres
166 days   of rainfall   
December is usually the wettest month of the year in Singapore, while February is the driest.
sunshine iconSun
46 %   sunshine annually
2022 hours   of sun
Sunlight in Singapore averages 12 hours and 7 minutes a day. That amounts to 4423 hours of daylight in a year.
The shortest days of the year in mid December have 12 hours and 3 minutes of daylight. The year's longest days in mid June last 12:12 from sunrise to sunset.
humidity iconHumidity
80 %   average humidity
The annual averages for relative humidity in Singapore range throughout the day from a maximum of 96 percent to a minimum of 64 percent.
Humidity levels are fairly steady in Singapore, year round. Overall, December is the city's most humid month.
wind iconWind
4.4 mph   wind speed average   7.1 kph
February is usually the windiest month for Singapore, and the wind is calmest during November.
lightning cloud iconStorms
167 days   with thunder a year
186 days   with lightning
Thunderstorms appear most frequently over Singapore during April, May and November. Thunder and lightning are least common during January and February.

Looking a the totals it rains more there than Oregon and is more humid than Missouri
AMA 12366

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
After having been over there, it would be tough to be a modeler in Singapore.  Very very expensive, little space,  lots and lots of people.  Lots of rules, can't chew gum, but prostitution that's OK!?  Restrictive rules on nearly everything.  Car owners pay huge fees yearly to the government. 

Great people though.   

I'd visit again but that is all. 

Put on a sweater and enjoy Tuscan. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

George Hostler

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
After having been over there, it would be tough to be a modeler in Singapore. Very very expensive, little space, lots and lots of people. Lots of rules, can't chew gum, but prostitution that's OK!? Restrictive rules on nearly everything. Car owners pay huge fees yearly to the government. Great people though. I'd visit again but that is all. Put on a sweater and enjoy Tucson.

I guess it has all the big city problems with restrictions. To me it would be similar to living in Waikiki district of Honolulu. One would be living in a 1 bedroom convenience apartment (where the kitchen sink and stove top is in your bedroom/living room/den, LOL). Your fold away bed becomes the couch, or live like the Japanese and put away your folding mattress and bedding. If one were a minimalist, they'd probably be content there.

Flying would require driving 30 or 40 minutes away, because it is banned in the local parks. I don't if that is specifically true in Singapore. I guess one just learns the ropes and finds what they can and can't do. All I know is when I lived in Long Beach California, they had so many restrictions against model plane flying in the parks, school play grounds and etc., that one had to go up to Whittier Narrows 40 minutes away to do any flying. Some of the modelers there back in the 1980's were just plain rude. I guess it takes all types to make up a world.

We've had friends from Singapore though, and they were a great bunch.

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
3 Brits had a go away from the fog and rain last Weekend and took Gold,Silver and Bronze in
low noise Speed Limit Combat on Gran Canaria Islands.
Needless to say Sunshine allover the Islands.

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=144152#144152

H^^ Peter

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »

I can do that in Ohio too!  Neat stage show though.

Phil

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
If you DO get to fly all year, does that make you a "seasoned" pilot?  :-) 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

George Hostler

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
I can do that in Ohio too!  Neat stage show though. Phil
I read Snopes and some of the other blogs. I think there is more to it. Yes, a non-symmetrical plumbing fixture can induce direction vortices. These blogs don't explain the natural tendency for direction. There is no scientific study cited but rather that of human reasoning. It's what got folks into trouble a while back when they proposed the world was round, when by human reasoning others said it was they were full of it. D>K

Perhaps that's why the Australians, Argentinians and New Zealanders easier learn inverted CL flight than North Americans? S?P

Perhaps Coriolis can be considered as controversial as what is the optimal amounts of Castor oil to add to store bought fuel to protect old soft iron piston in steel sleeve engines, and why we don't refer to CL glow engines as motors.  n~

I dunno. I'm not losing any sleep over it. %^@

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
All I know scientifically is that when I pull the plug on the sink or flush the ceramic throne that every thing goes down out of site and not all over the floor.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
If you DO get to fly all year, does that make you a "seasoned" pilot?  :-) 

George
I think it might make you a tired flier.  Probably wouldn't be eager in the spring to get out there and practice.  Might even get a little bored.  I'd sure like to travel to someplace and fly a week or two in the dead of winter but not too sure year round flying is a great thing. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

George Hostler

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
I think it might make you a tired flier. Probably wouldn't be eager in the spring to get out there and practice. Might even get a little bored.  I'd sure like to travel to some place and fly a week or two in the dead of winter but not too sure year round flying is a great thing. Dave
Oh, from what I gather, they have a wet and dry season, where one takes a furlough from flying due to the monsoons and windy weather. When I lived in Hawaii, there were inclimate days due to rain or wind or combination of both. It's not cut and dried with continuous good weather, in spite of the advertising. The more adverse weather tended in the winter months, plus your days are shorter so flying after work on a weekday might have been impractical depended upon when you got off from work, also having to deal with the island traffic rush hour congestion to and from field. (This is unless you lived on one of the outer islands besides Oahu.)

George Hostler

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
All I know scientifically is that when I pull the plug on the sink or flush the ceramic throne that every thing goes down out of site and not all over the floor.
True. I never really gave it much thought, (does the water swirl left or right?) except when the system backs up.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here