News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What have you accomplished with Control Line this year?  (Read 26077 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: What have you accomplished with Control Line this year?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2014, 04:57:28 AM »
This being my first full season since re-treading back into the sport 1 1/2 yrs. ago I entered 2 contests, came in 3rd. in beginner, in our contest, my engine decided to call it quits during the contest or I think I could have placed higher. {there's no crying in control line stunt}. 2nd was a speed limit combat event also run by our club. I came in dead last, got my first and only cut and a Sportsman plaque.  My biggest accomplishment was absorbing all the knowledge the member's of "The Philly Fliers" are willing to share with me. As most know we have some great fliers and builder's in our club and they are all more than willing to help me or anyone with their wealth of knowledge.   I completed my first full pattern late in the year it was a little sloppy to say the least but I got it done.  We'll see what next year brings, to me flying is like golf, my other passion, you go out and try to get a little better each time out, do the best you can and just have a good time with your buddies.

Rich

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
Got Brett pissed off many times. :D Took 15 boxes of whatnot out of my shop. Put it in my bedroom. Threw out 3 contractor bags of model airplane junk. A day or two more of this and I will be able to look around (and move around) and plan storage and work bench area. Is this why I have five models unfinished (including ARFs) in 2014? Having the idea that I needed to do this my most significant accomplishment. I am pathetic and chuckling.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
Gosh, why do we have a new flyer/beginner/youth problem? Is the Knights of the Round Circle the only club with access to kids? We train, now, at 4 events a year and do 200+ training flights. Yes, the guys at Oshkosh to 10 times that number (bless them!), but they have 40,000 candidates! I think we get about 80% of the visiting kids to fly with us. And it seems a 99% or better no crash ratio!

Darn it , you guys, set up a training program! It shouldn't be all me, me, me (hmm, opera anyone?). RSM has the ET1 setup, Brodak has a trainer and Cox International has engines. BlackHawk models has lots of suitable models. How hard can this be? For the experienced modeler, building a trainer out of scratch junk should take you about 3 hours. And if you just can't scrounge up a Babe Bee or Cub, I'll send you one!   HB~>

After all of those training flights, how many of those that were trained, show up at the flying site afterward?

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
What did I accomplish with control line this year you ask.

Absolutely nothing

Larry Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Hello Keith.  The Tipsy Jr. was built from my plans (from several scale documents).  Power is an OS 35FP,  has symmetrical airfoil and was intended to be a "scale stunt".

I have plans available if you wish to take the plunge!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
I scored a 2nd in the State F2B titles, but that was more because everyone who was a contender above me either crashed out, or had massive problems.

The gap between first and second was CAVERNOUS, but I have a medal, so that makes me smile.
Haha, sounds like me. Finally got to intermediate and blew the hourglass up top, then without knowing better I successfully re-did it on the next go-round, causing me to lose pattern points. I got a trophy for 3rd place... out of three contestants. But I have yet another trophy and my Mom and friends think I'm a great pilot.
And 3 weeks later I destroyed my beautiful 3rd place Osprey while showing off.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
I got a second, a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, and a 23rd.  I built a takeapart stunter with a bunch of new technology and got it working.  I learned some stuff and met some great modelers.  It was a good year.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
Flew in only one contest.  Scored 572 with no appearance points and finished 7th in expert.  It's tough with the big boys!

Framed up three stunters to add to the 4 already waiting for covering and painting.  Began painting my Colossus...  Something always seems to get in the way...The weather now!  Been wet, wet, wet for over a week!  Will probably finish it for VSC, doubtful for Southwest Regionals. 

Not my best year...too dammed old to really be competitive anyway!

Too many things going on!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »
I got a second, a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, and a 23rd.  I built a takeapart stunter with a bunch of new technology and got it working.  I learned some stuff and met some great modelers.  It was a good year.

So your going to have a new plane at the NATS?
AMA 12366

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2014, 01:15:23 AM »
I realize that I have been hitting around 470 in local contests these days. Within spitting distance of actually placing in Advanced. A good 50 or 60 points higher than last year. Tho every time I get a score like this, I question the evaluation of the judges. My flights looking much worse than that to me. These scores flying my last available planes. (I couldn't get anything built in 2014, see above.) A $10 flea market Prowler. Fab performing plane. Will build a full fues plane similar in design. It went nose in when the flap hinges loosened. My other stunt war wagon was a $30 flea market faux profile JD Falcon. (Tom Hampshire fleeced me on this deal! ;D) I flew this for years, years ago. Got 470 pluses with it. 60 points higher than previous years. So. Guess that's progress.

Lots of yuks with friends from all over. Not progress. Not a new accomplishment. Par for the experience.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:13:32 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
I been thinking........ with all my physical problems, i may just be through with PAMPA class stunt.  I am not THAT old yet, just tore up my body as a youth/younger man.  Plus I have no one to fly with, and I do not feel safe enough flying alone with a stooge.  I know, I know, u do what u need to do, but I am tired........

I am venturing into Spark ignition stunt (OTS) as I can have fun and not worry about placing in our local meets.  Way too many excellent OTS pilots.  So i can fly for fun.  After over 50 years of high level competition in other areas, I have kinda wore myself out.  This could change, I hope it does in a way.  Maybe after next year gets going, i will break back out the PAMPA class models.  Who knows......

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Bill, do what you need to do, but you're important to the rest of us. We feel better, when you're churning out those excellent models for us to see. Just have the fun and forget the rest. You've always had so many things going at once. Would you feel better just enjoying a project at your own pace? Sit back for a spell.

I know... My son says, "Don't tell me what kind of day to have!" But we do want you to have many more happy ones.

SK

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »

Hey Howard...you forgot to mention that you honored our country by representing the US at the CL World Championships.  That is an incredible accomplishment!!!

Congratulations and thanks for a tremendous effort!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
After all of those training flights, how many of those that were trained, show up at the flying site afterward?

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

At least one new club member. Sadly, none of the kids. But ya gotta try!  n1
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Kim Stricker

• Dedicated Castor-Slinger !!!
  • New Pilot
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »
Had myself a great year, with a bunch of friends and some great times.

Pulled several Cox PT-19's through loops they're not supposed to be able to do.

Even got the .020 in my Mini-Stunt going well enough to pull a grass-clipping loop or two in the front yard.

Gathered with friends at Buder Park for our Cox-PT-19-Fly-It-If-You-Got-It Day.

Saw my Winder combat wing survive yet another year of my aimless zig-zagging.

And FINALLY participated in the Brotherhood of the Ring "Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon"...even if I DID have to squeak it in at the end of the day after waiting for the winds to die.

A Wonderful Year...all told...and I wish the same for all those other Circle-Turners and their families in the New Year !

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »
The answer to the topic question for me is: nothing.   ;D

And loving every minute of it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
The answer to the topic question for me is: nothing.   ;D

This is nothing?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
At least one new club member. Sadly, none of the kids. But ya gotta try!  n1

Getting kids interested is one thing, but the parents have to be on board to support their interest.
I really got stoked about CL when my son started flying.

I've been thinking about showing up at a local EAA meeting and pitch the idea of some demo flights as well as bringing a couple of trainers for the kids to fly at an upcomming Young Eagles rally.

Larry, Buttafucco stunt Team

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »
This is nothing?

Has this far out machine been flown yet?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
I know what I did NOT accomplish..

Finished new model for 2014 nats, trying to improve on 2013 18 point finish.  No improvement there, received 18 points on the new plane.

Went to nats to improve on my 2013 2nd place to PW.  Earned 2nd place to David, no improvement there.  I earned the 1st loser 2 years in a row... (maybe that is some kind of an accomplishment..  ;D)

Doug,

You wanna compare first loser plaques?  It's been a tough era!

Ted

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »
Doug,

You wanna compare first loser plaques?  It's been a tough era!

Ted

In my expressed opinion you guys have been spoiled by success!  I consider anyone in the top 5 as winners.  Truly believe that!

I also agree that it's a tough era for guys at the top!  A lot of guys with the Right Stuff today!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
I flew my best contest flight to date. I visited Bob Hunt in PA and was inspired by him and his work. I helped my brother get his electric plane configured. I attended all of my club's contests and events. This year our field has a new blacktop surface, a new shed and 110 power. It was a good year by most standards. Looking forward to 2015!
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here