News:

• April 15, 2024, 11:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What have you accomplished with Control Line this year?  (Read 26116 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
What have you accomplished with Control Line this year?
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:22 AM »
It has been a fun flying season this year.  I dusted off the old 1/2A planes last spring after not actively flying control line since 1997.  I have proceeded to burn through almost a gallon and a half of 25% nitro fuel, 8cc's at a time.  My main plane this year has been a foam wing plane based around a Corehouse Hacker wing.  It has a basswood body and has been nearly indestructable.  Collectively, it has been mercilessly slammed in the ground countless times. ;D  

This season, I have progressed a lot.  I've grown from basically only being able to fly in a circle to now being able to do most of the tricks in the pattern.  The shapes aren't polished yet, but that will come in time.  I can now perform: wing-overs, inside loops, outside loops, inverted flight, lazy 8's, horizontal 8's, vertical 8's, overhead 8's, and rough versions of the square maneuvers.  This might seem like basic, mundane stuff to experienced fliers, but these are gratifying accomplishments that I am proud of.  I look forward to more flying this coming year and to polishing these skills.

I uploaded a video of my first test flight with a larger, .25 sized foam wing stunt trainer plane.  This plane was a generous gift from my friend Gordan Delaney.  I was just trying to get a feel for the plane on this flight.  The second flight with this plane was even more fun, with a better engine run and cleaner stunt shapes.  The flight unfortunately ended with the "re-kitting" of the plane.  I was having too much fun and lost track of the run time.  I was in the middle of an overhead-8 just as the fuel supply was exhausted.   The 60ft drop had a negative effect on the overall structural integrity of the aircraft...  It is being fixed and will continue to serve in its intended role.  I had a blast flying this plane!  Also, the flight in the video was only the 2nd or 3rd flight in my life with something larger than 1/2A.

As I have restarted this hobby, it has been gratifying to help many new people experience the fun of control line planes.  This includes my young kids, neighbors, passers-by, nephews, nieces, family, ect.  There has been a lot of smiles and happy laughter at the park this year.  It was a great feeling to see my 71 year old Dad make a flight after a 20+ year hiatus.  He is the reason I had any exposure to model airplanes.  It is because of the excitement I felt as a kid, watching my Dad fly his Ringmaster and Yak-9, that I have decided to pass this hobby on to my young kids as well.  They too, now feel a sense of excitement about flying model airplanes with their proud Dad (me!)

Here's looking forward to great things in 2015!

- Brent
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:22:30 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What have you accomplished with Control Line this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56:57 AM »
I moved up from Advanced to Expert.  You're about where I was four years ago -- are there any contests in your area?  Nothing will make you develop faster than competing, if you've got the competitive streak.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
I moved up from Advanced to Expert.  You're about where I was four years ago -- are there any contests in your area?  Nothing will make you develop faster than competing, if you've got the competitive streak.

We have some great talent in the area, but I am not sure if there is a local contest.  In this general northern Utah region we have Gordan Delaney, John Miller, Norm Whittle, Jim Rhoades, Curtis Williams, Roger Kramar, and a few others that I am not sure if they are still flying (or even alive anymore...)  

Gordan does like to razz me about crashing perfectly good, generously donated old foam wing stunt trainer planes..., flying maneuvers until the tank runs out, flying my "junky" 1/2A stuff, asking too many questions, ect, ect, ect ;D...I should probably inquire with him about a local contest.  It would be a good reason to go drink Mtn.Dew with him, anyway.
I might be a shoe-in for winning beginner class...as the only contestant!  n~
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:08:33 AM »
Perhaps you could get those guys to put on a contest, maybe the week after the Nats, so the westbound guys on I-80 could stop and fly some stunt.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »
Hi Brent,I accomplished a small step on the big ladder this summer.I won Intermediate at the NATS and went on to win my first local Advanced contest as well.I suppose what I have accomplished is better shapes and lower bottoms.I fly whenever I can get some good practice in.2015 will bring a new Shark 45 "E"to my hanger and I plan to double dip classic and PAMPA with it.Have fun,fly safe,fly stunt.Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
Crashing donated airplanes, and flying inappropriate ones, is one of the things you do as a beginner.

For that matter, not crashing all the time, and being able to stumble through the entire pattern with recognizable maneuvers, is a good reason to move up to Intermediate.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
Hey I know most of those names that you mention.   A great bunch of guys.   And there is nothing more rewarding than having family fly as well as having fun.  Also, yes contests will teach a person a lot in a shorter time frame.  But, I am thinking that is what turned my grand kids off of flying. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Well I built 2 PAMPA planes 1 Classic and one Scale plane this year along with bringing Control line Craftsman on line.
AMA 12366

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
I acted as PR man for the 7th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.

It was really encouraging to have so many control line modelers participate. We, once again, had new record numbers of fliers and flights!!

Control line modeling is still alive and kicking!!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the only thing I accomplished in CL this past year was that I didn't loose any more friends because of my tendency to do something really stupid.  Other than that, I did ship my last  Carrier kit, making my total number of kits built and offered to just over 1500 since 1980.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
This year I managed to enter two contests and fly beginner stunt. This has motivated me to build a new airplane and fly in more contests next year. Nice to see the pic of the little guy holding the airplane.  Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
I entered in four contests this year in expert, with two wins, a fourth place and a crash.  Also finished a new classic airplane and began working on a new plane as well.  It was a good year and looking forward to what next year will bring!
Matt Colan

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
I know what I did NOT accomplish..

Finished new model for 2014 nats, trying to improve on 2013 18 point finish.  No improvement there, received 18 points on the new plane.

Went to nats to improve on my 2013 2nd place to PW.  Earned 2nd place to David, no improvement there.  I earned the 1st loser 2 years in a row... (maybe that is some kind of an accomplishment..  ;D)

Accomplished;

Continued to send in the District VIII reports from all of the faithful members of the district who are constantly helping me with content.  Cant be done without them!  Thank you!  Your input makes this better for everyone.  Please keep it coming.

Got my 6 year old son in the circle many times and he competed in his first contest!  Biggest accomplishment of the year for me right there!!!   :) :)
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
Went to nats to improve on my 2013 2nd place to PW.  Earned 2nd place to David, no improvement there.  I earned the 1st loser 2 years in a row... (maybe that is some kind of an accomplishment..  ;D)

So you've beaten both Paul and David, just not in the right years.
AMA 64232

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
Absolutely nothing, unless you call destroying all my airplanes worth flying an accomplishment.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Made some progress in trimming, including a new prop for the same OPP, and getting more used to the .46VF. Still bottom feeder in Expert, tho it has been pointed out to me that getting 15-16 appearance points would often make a difference. I still like to just get out of the house for a contest weekend.  ;D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Between the AMA Expo, RCX show, Compton EAA Fly in and Fullerton Airport Day, our club trained about 200 kids on the ET-1 Trainers. And we still have all 4 originals in great flying condition. Always flown over asphalt!

We put on 2 major contests and participated in the Ringmaster Fly-in, PT-19 Fly-in and Toys for Tots.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
Biult my first classic- a Tony from RSM. Flys better than i expected it to as I had some building issues, but it truned into a nice surprise so far. If it survives a winter of practice I'll enter it it in a couple classic competions. Also built a"Naugthy Girl " profile, rescued an old, and I mean old=yellow but used to be white, Ringmaster and put a .25 on it and it actually dosent fly all that bad.

Am almost done with a Brodak Smoothie kit that I have high hopes for. Mostly though this was my first full season flying intermediate, entered 4 contests, got one first, a third a second and two fourths flying profile and PAMPA. A big part of this years acomplishment however is realizing how important long practice sessions are and listening to the great advice I have been getting. And yes Brett B. I finally have the top of the hourglass at the top of the circle.

Don

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »
Finished new model for 2014 nats, trying to improve on 2013 18 point finish.  No improvement there, received 18 points on the new plane.

This years airplane was you best effort yet
AMA 12366

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Not much.. still in advanced class, and will stay there till I get appearance points!  But got pretty much all my planes in better trim this year. :)  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:21:41 PM by Joe Yau »

James_Mynes

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
Flew my first AMA pattern in competition in almost 40 years. Took first place in Intermediate.

The Old Time pattern has given me a couple of trophies this year, too.

Flying both patterns, swapping back and forth between events, and keeping my head wrapped around what I was doing was the big accomplishment.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
Managed to keep my wife from killin' me because of all the money I spent!!   mw~

Mike Griffin

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
I spent the year working with Eric Rule at RSM in building prototypes and assisting in design of five new kits, four of which are take aparts.

When I wasn't doing this, I was building planes for other people.  I built 19 take apart Ringmasters over the summer.

Currently I am building the wings for one of Pat King's PT19 Stearman Bi-Plane kits for a customer.

The only thing I have built for myself is a Ted Fancher Imitation.  The white basecoat is on and I have not had the time to work on it.  I hope to get it finished next year.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:29:04 PM by Mike Griffin »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
So you've beaten both Paul and David, just not in the right years.

Oh yes I have been beaten by Paul and David a few times....ugh
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
I guess I did get off base a little.   Start of year was to attend one day of a contest in Dallas.   Managed to make a fool of myself in the Topeka contest.   Finally made it to Brodaks.  Also matched my record in the Ringmaster Fly-a-thon.   Finished some more Ringmasters and got out and flew a little more this year.   Hope fully next year will be better than this year.   Oh, working on a plane kit I got from Brazil(they spell it Brasil).   By the way, no new years resolutions except to get out and walk more.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
OK, I was the Assistant Team Manager for the US Team to the 2014 CL World Championships in Poland.  Bill Lee and the Team guys did all of the work.

I built a profile scale airplane with four Cox .010 engines.  It flew successfully with all four engines running for the required 10 laps at the Tucson contest in October.  Four of those engines running at the same time at 20,000+ is a neat sound.

Keith

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
Had the privelege of judging c/l scale static and then handling the flight judging at the nats once again this year.  Might do one more year, might not, we'll see - but I always enjoy getting up close and personal with the scale competitors during the nats.  I do miss being on the L pad, though.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
got 1st in O/T at the 2014 KOI     Brodaks, got 1st and top Static in 1/2A  scale ,2nd in Perky speed  . moved up to Expert in stunt and got 4th in O/T

at the Nats again got 1st in 1/2A profile scale.  won the Super O/T and 2nd in profile scale in Indian town.  helped organize the Ringmaster day for our club, over 100 flights  , last week CD'd the Free flight contest for the Florida free flight guys.  looking forward the this years free flight KOI Dec 29, 30,31 where i will again cook. and the stunt KOI in Jan.

working with K,Trostle on the new Tercel + 10
rad racer

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
This year, I moved from Advanced to Spectator.  Enough is enough!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
From October 2013 to October 2014, I attended my first competition and came in 3rd out of 5 in Beginner. Earned a Green Hat at the Joe Nall CL field. Won 1st place out of 3 in Beginner in May, then 3rd out of 3 in Intermediate in October. That was disappointing, but I also flew that weekend in profile and scored 11th out of 16 with a 417.5. Not bad for me, and got the pattern points! I'm getting better almost every time I fly. I'm flying my first big full fuselage plane now, and love the difference in how it flies.

I did wreck two favorite profiles, one was my first encounter with dead air and the other was an encounter with stupid (aka showing off). And I had a helluva lot of fun with my screaming Baby Streaks and Li'l Satan. That's my idea of relaxing.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
I got into the 14's with my slow rat.

MM

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
Hosted the 8th Annual 1/2A (1cc) multi-engine profile scale meet in Tucson last October - now handed-off to others with (pending) new rules.

And like Floyd, am now merely a spectator.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Hosted the 8th Annual 1/2A (1cc) multi-engine profile scale meet in Tucson last October - now handed-off to others with (pending) new rules.

And like Floyd, am now merely a spectator.

That wont last long
rad racer

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
Well, I finally got the new shop in order and began building a new Classic plane, my first new model in a couple years.

Flying wise, I moved up to Expert now. Brett, David, and Uncle Jimby needed new sacrificial lambs. I'm one of 'em.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »
Survived a heat attack and quad bypass. Rehab went very well and am now at the gym 3 times a week, feeling good.

Have a bunch of things planned for 2015, most of all I am glad to be able to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
AMA 7544

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
Re-discovered CL flying and went at it with zeal. Started as just fun and then the Pattern started invading my dreams. Flying became practice and was still fun but a more intense level of fun. Joined my local club and got wonderful support and help with all aspects of the hobby. Flew a lot this past Summer.
Went to the Carolina Criterium CL Contest in Huntersville, NC and places 1st in Intermediate and came in 9th out of 16 competitors in Profile. Felt pretty good about that.
Now I am in the process of building and painting and learning how to do that better as far as set-up goes. Working on painting a model currently...first time doing that. Will need to work on my patience as well.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »
Got back into flying again after a couple years.   Cleared a usable circle this past spring on land we purchased in Sept 2013.   It is still a work in progress.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
got 1st in O/T at the 2014 KOI     Brodaks, got 1st and top Static in 1/2A  scale ,2nd in Perky speed  . moved up to Expert in stunt and got 4th in O/T

at the Nats again got 1st in 1/2A profile scale.  won the Super O/T and 2nd in profile scale in Indian town.  helped organize the Ringmaster day for our club, over 100 flights  , last week CD'd the Free flight contest for the Florida free flight guys.  looking forward the this years free flight KOI Dec 29, 30,31 where i will again cook. and the stunt KOI in Jan.

working with K,Trostle on the new Tercel + 10

Geeeeeeeezzzzzz Bob!!  :)  Whad'da ya' do in your spare time??  And congratulations on your wins and advancement to Expert!!  Someday I'll graduate to the "Can Fly Out a Full Tank" category!!   ;D

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
I built a profile scale airplane with four Cox .010 engines.  It flew successfully with all four engines running for the required 10 laps at the Tucson contest in October.  Four of those engines running at the same time at 20,000+ is a neat sound.

I'd like to see and hear that.  That is very cool.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
This year was a disappointment for me in many ways.  Since my cancer surgery and chemo I have just not done much.  All the nerve damage has really changed what I can do.  But, I did help a couple fellas with their building projects and had a lot of time to plan what's coming next!  This seems to change almost daily, but I am continuing to learn more and more about this hobby/sport.  Also, I have stayed in contact with many of my "flying buddies" across the country.  I haven't thrown in the towel and don't expect to.  Next step is to get back in the circle, and at least make both Huntersville meets this coming year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (a bit early) to everyone!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

Nothing!

A Twister repair and a Pathfinder Twin build for next year.

Ara

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
After almost 40 yrs, I got back in to CL flying this past Summer.
Got a TF ARF F-streak (beefed up the nose) powered with an old Fox 35X (not 36X) and learning to do
basic maneuvers once again. plonked it in a few times  HB~>
Built a Brodak/Goldberg Buster and a Sig Akromaster (powered with McCoy 35 and Enya 19 respectively).

Was handed the Clubs All American Sr. that was donated to the club by a club member (in dire need of TLC) and fixed/cleaned
it all up and stuck a Fox 36X in the nose. This will be the clubs sacraficial lamb for inverted training.  ~>

Was given a Sig Primary Force so I had a much better plane to learn the pattern with and not to mention fill the hole
of my stolen new Brodak Cardinal from my garage a few months back. (thats not all they got)

Now just waiting to have warm weather once again so I can fly my heart out and be with good buddies at the flying field.   H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
Well, I actually showed up to the field on numerous occasions and pitted for others, coached, and critiqued. Trimmed out a freebie OPP and got an engine run just in time for the old clevice, horns, pushrod (or all three)to break mid flight....that was this mornings effort. ::)  Finally got going on a profile Roadrunner kit from Blue Sky models that was given to me by Jim Hoffman. Not much of a kit builder but Toms stuff is very nice. The plan for 2015 is to actually finish it and compete a little. I also have a very nice Saturn foam wing and stab that would finish up quickly and possibly be a bit more competitive in Expert.....and the dream is to do up one last Chevelle rendition with a few mods and electric power.
My greatest achievement for CL in 2014 was that I am really jazzed about getting back into this full steam ahead....missed you guys! ;)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
Gosh, why do we have a new flyer/beginner/youth problem? Is the Knights of the Round Circle the only club with access to kids? We train, now, at 4 events a year and do 200+ training flights. Yes, the guys at Oshkosh to 10 times that number (bless them!), but they have 40,000 candidates! I think we get about 80% of the visiting kids to fly with us. And it seems a 99% or better no crash ratio!

Darn it , you guys, set up a training program! It shouldn't be all me, me, me (hmm, opera anyone?). RSM has the ET1 setup, Brodak has a trainer and Cox International has engines. BlackHawk models has lots of suitable models. How hard can this be? For the experienced modeler, building a trainer out of scratch junk should take you about 3 hours. And if you just can't scrounge up a Babe Bee or Cub, I'll send you one!   HB~>
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »
OK, I was the Assistant Team Manager for the US Team to the 2014 CL World Championships in Poland.  Bill Lee and the Team guys did all of the work.

Keith

OK I am in AWE of this! I must have been under a rock or something in October. Has this been documented somewhere, pictures?? I just gotta see this one! I have several .010's but have never run one. And the sound of four of them has to be like nothing else!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
   OK I am in AWE of this! I must have been under a rock or something in October. Has this been documented somewhere, pictures?? I just gotta see this one! I have several .010's but have never run one. And the sound of four of them has to be like nothing else!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dan,

There have been several threads on the October 1/2A Contest here in Tucson.  A bunch of pictures appear at

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,36947.0.html

There are several photos of the Republic XF-12 that has those four Cox .010 engines, one or two of then show it in the air.  Thanks for asking.

Keith

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
Well, I have built a couple of stunters so far this year.  My next project is to clean out my airplane hangar.  I've lost count, but I think there are 33 planes here.  All but a couple with engines and ready to fly.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
Well, I have built a couple of stunters so far this year.  My next project is to clean out my airplane hangar.  I've lost count, but I think there are 33 planes here.  All but a couple with engines and ready to fly.

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

Your pictures show an orange airplane with the identification OO-ULA.  Is that a Tipsy Junior?  If so, which version did you build?  Your plans?  Or one of the several versions that have been published, here and in England?  There is at least one of these that I have on my bucket list to do as a scale airplane that i think will do a competent OTS pattern.

inquiring minds want to know. 

Keith

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
For 2014 I repaired, flew, crashed and repaired my Ruby (black and white one). Built the other three and another Goldberg Shoestring, so far!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:28:37 AM by Gordon Van Tighem »
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:24 AM »
I scored a 2nd in the State F2B titles, but that was more because everyone who was a contender above me either crashed out, or had massive problems.

The gap between first and second was CAVERNOUS, but I have a medal, so that makes me smile.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here