• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
WW II
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
I'm not sure how many WWII vets are here but lets not forget today 1941.

Picture taken around 20 years ago. My dad is a Plank holder (plank holder is a person who was commissioned to the ship when the keel was laid) and the only original crew member there.

Richard Storick presents a shadow box, containing parts of a Japanese kamikaze plane that struck USS Taluga in 1945, to Capt. Juan Chavez, USN, Commander The USS Taluga was the only tanker hit by a kamikaze in the Pacific fleet not to sink.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:28:09 AM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: WW II
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
Nice video - thanks for posting - I salute all of my fallen comrades.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
Most school kids haven't the slightest idea what happened on Dec. 7, 1941.  Only one in five could name the president during the 1940's.

I was 8 on that day.  Dad and I were busy out in our driveway grinding the valves on our 1936 Willys sedan.  The radio was on loud so we could hear.  Sunday morning music was interrupted by the news bulletin.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
Most school kids haven't the slightest idea what happened on Dec. 7, 1941.  Only one in five could name the president during the 1940's.

I was 8 on that day.  Dad and I were busy out in our driveway grinding the valves on our 1936 Willys sedan.  The radio was on loud so we could hear.  Sunday morning music was interrupted by the news bulletin.

F.C.
Like Floyd I was eight and remember the day well! We were camped by the radio and then later I remember FDR's speech. Wow, so long ago and so many misguided "wars" since!!

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
 The "Greatest Generation", a nickname well earned and that proves to be more and more truthful everyday. Personally, I never need to be reminded of this date in history. I also find this to be a very humbling time period each year, thinking of the events of that day and the rest of WWII. It's shameful and embarrassing that so many today just don't have the slightest clue, or even try to.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:35:52 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
I was 1-1/2 years old when the Pearl Harbor attack occurred.

Many years later (1986, or thereabouts) I recall standing on the 'bridge' over the USS Arizona when everything came to a halt.

With military precision, a Dress White squadron of Naval cadets from Japan marched forward, bowed reverently, uttered a few words, placed a bottle of sake at the foot of the memorial, did a smart 'About Face' and marched off.

As I recall, there wasn't a dry eye in evidence.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
On the 50th Anniversary the Planes of Fame Air Museum flew their Zero, P-40 and dauntless over the Chino Airport, as I watched I quietly gave thanks to everyone that has served in the military and defended this nation.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »
Thanks for posting that video Sparky.

A great reminder that there is always trechery lurking in the world.

Unfortunately not all of it is Off-Shore!

I salute all those alive and dead who responded to the call then and now!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »
My Dad was a Pearl Harbor survivor. It was always hard on him to go back there.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
It was  a little less than four years earlier than my birthday, but I know December 7th well and regret that when I bring it up in the presence of our grandkids and a couple of the "kids" themselves, there are too often blank looks. I don't blame them, but WE need to keep reminding the younger generations not only of history, but of the sacrifice of that "greatest generation." They need to know why it is important to remember. It's not a time of hate, but it IS a time to remember and appreciate.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
The wife and I took the boat ride to the Memorial in the harbor.   For some reason did not get the same feeling as I did when I got to visit the Vietnam Memorial in DC with Melvin and Brenda.   Maybe it was because I wasn't old enough to remember the sacrifices the people made during that time.   How can we thank them,  by remembering and teaching.  Thanks for the video.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
The wife and I took the boat ride to the Memorial in the harbor.   For some reason did not get the same feeling as I did when I got to visit the Vietnam Memorial in DC with Melvin and Brenda.   Maybe it was because I wasn't old enough to remember the sacrifices the people made during that time.   How can we thank them,  by remembering and teaching.  Thanks for the video.

IMO, no problem, John. Remembering and teaching sounds excellent to me. I was about to turn 6 years old then. My mom and dad were in Iowa, my dad working on pipelines. I attended some time in a nearby preschool. I do remember that it seemed the world came to a stop back then.
At least ours certainly did. Our coming back to Texas, my starting first grade way out in the country, in my dad's mom's house.
 Personally in the world since then, I continue to maintain a strong denial of all the politicians of these United States that do not assure that this country is always ready to take care of itself. Just look at what they do: Korea, send the soldiers to fly and die, then the same for Vietnam, then for all the "SHOT" in the middle east. What a crock?  Then  Baghdad time and now still churning up stuff to kill the decent United States Young People, while certain folks shoot-up, rob, kill folks and the police get blamed for trying to stop such stuff.
It's not a good thing for our youth,  children and grandchildren to think this is just the way to live.  HB~>
I do have trouble trying to keep my cool even when propping a Ringmaster!!!
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here