News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top Flight NOBLER ARF Control Line Airplane Kit Overview  (Read 28512 times)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Top Flight NOBLER ARF Control Line Airplane Kit Overview
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
Aw heck I have a Noblearf with a ST G21 46 in the nose. Only issue is carrying enough fuel, added a wart to the fuel tank which helped but still not quite enough. Is a real hoot to fly, hard to describe with the 46 just growling along like the airplane isn't even there. The LA will be fine...

How do you "add a wart"?

Plug the tank off and use a heat gun letting air expansion stretch the heated area?  Something more controlled?

Phil

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
Just a protrusion that fits between the motor mounts. It's a metal tank, I formed a 2nd smaller tank out of tin and soldered it to the top of the tank with the area between the two tanks open. The fill vent now goes to the top of the added tank so it gets filled. It's uniflow on muffler pressure.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Just a protrusion that fits between the motor mounts. It's a metal tank, I formed a 2nd smaller tank out of tin and soldered it to the top of the tank with the area between the two tanks open. The fill vent now goes to the top of the added tank so it gets filled. It's uniflow on muffler pressure.

That make more sense.  I thought you had a modern plastic tank.

Phil

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
Shug...I just did one of these and here is my experience...use the LA46 cuz you can do a pattern on 3.75 oz of fuel if you run a wet 2 with low pitch prop. A brodak ATF 4 oz tank slips right in. I don't like plastic tanks for several reasons, but that's another post I suppose. A Brodak 40 is lighter but uses way more fuel..at least mine does and it IS well broken in. REPLACE THE MOTOR MOUNTS! Didin't in mine and it was a nightmare. The engine will crush those weird brown mounts. Have since repalced and wished a hundred times i had done it first. Replace at least the pushrod from flaps to elevators...I used arrow shaft and ball links. And fly it the first few times with no cowl...i wasted a lot of time a the field taking that cowl on and off to get to motor stuff. Now I am making my own cowl cuz the fiberglass one is OK but not great. After you do all of these mods you will have a GREAT flying airplane. Mine is just so easy to do the pattern on..nice tight corners..no bounce (cuz I checked the incidences before i glued any flight surfaces in) and there's just something about a Nobler...and a Stilleto...and an Oriental..and a Smoothie...and a Genesis...and a Ringmaster...and a... well you get it! Id,nt this fun?

Offline Jim Nohsey

• Ensign
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »
I have had 3 NoblARF's so far. I made several mistakes and crashed them all. I broke the mounts off them all including one with mounts replaced with heavy duty maple. NoblARF 1 had both control horns fail where they were wrapped and soldered. All also had leadouts slip to change neutral setting. I have powered them with Fox 35, EVO 36, Brodak 40, and OS 35S engines. LA 46 is overkill. OS 35S is ideal. For your 46, it is mandatory to change to front NVA and dump the rear needle. You can get stock OS FP NVA's from Tower or Ebay, or better, use Enya NVA and ream the venturi and case to get better fuel draw. Enya is available on Ebay. 

Graf, I got an nib nobler last night and setting here looking at it. I have cut some ply to renforce the mounts (http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,25165.0.html) post 22
Did you have to cut into the covering at the wing tip to pull the new lead outs or did you solder to the old ones and pull thru?
Jim Nohsey

Offline Jim Nohsey

• Ensign
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
I have had 3 NoblARF's so far. I made several mistakes and crashed them all. I broke the mounts off them all including one with mounts replaced with heavy duty maple. NoblARF 1 had both control horns fail where they were wrapped and soldered. All also had leadouts slip to change neutral setting. I have powered them with Fox 35, EVO 36, Brodak 40, and OS 35S engines. LA 46 is overkill. OS 35S is ideal. For your 46, it is mandatory to change to front NVA and dump the rear needle. You can get stock OS FP NVA's from Tower or Ebay, or better, use Enya NVA and ream the venturi and case to get better fuel draw. Enya is available on Ebay. 
Jim Nohsey

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
Graf, I got an nib nobler last night and setting here looking at it. I have cut some ply to renforce the mounts (http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,25165.0.html) post 22
Did you have to cut into the covering at the wing tip to pull the new lead outs or did you solder to the old ones and pull thru?

Jim
You can use CA to attach new lead outs to the old ones. Might have to remove some of the strands.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Jim Nohsey

• Ensign
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
what tank are you using??
Jim Nohsey

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
I cut my covering. Did not want too but had a tough time pulling through the small brass tubes for lead out guides. Tried super gluing but kept popping off. I should have maybe soldered in retrospect.
I am using the plastic tank that came with it. Also got a 6 oz sullivan as back up.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »
I slit the chinakote covering on the under side tip of my ARF Oriental wing and cut eyelets off so I could pull the lines out of the leadout guide. With the new lines already bushed and wrapped to the bellcrank, I used crimp tubes to connect the old lines to the new. Pulled them through, cut off the crimps and threaded back through the leadout guide. Clear tape to seal it back up. I changed it from a 4" to a 3" Sig bellcrank.

I have recessed the hinge slots and opened them to fit the Dubro hinges. I'm not using the CA hinges. The seam on the covering needs to be clear taped or glued down all the way around the wings and flaps, or the LE and TE of all the covering will be flapping in the wind in no time.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
Hello!!

I have a ARF Nobler for more than 12 years, When appeared first time on topflite catalog, I bought one without hesitatio. The first time i installed a Fox 35 stunt in the nose... but i had a lot of problems with this engine and the innverted position, after that, changed the fox for an OS Max 35 CL , but I could never make a flight to the speed I wanted. I was very disappointed, I had flown other Noblerīs but could not get a good fly with mine.

I read an article in internet, I forget who it was, and said you could use a .25 engine in the Nobler ARF because the power of a .25 now is similar  or greater than the power of a .35 of those years. I had  a new Thunder Tiger .25 CL who had never used it, so I decided to try. My Nobler now flies just the way I wanted it, with a propeller BYO (Brodak) 9x5 and 5.5 seconds per lap. The engine has good power and my Nobler is capable to do the FAI pattern smoothly even on windy days.

This video, is from the first fly with Tunder Tigher .25

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:51:58 PM by Miguel Poduje »

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2014, 07:48:08 PM »

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
Miguel, I have a Thunder Tiger Pro .25, a ball bearing engine with a Super Tigre needle valve in a sprinkler venturi. I put it on a Goldberg Shoestring, and it's way more power than that plane ever needed. I fly with a 9x4 prop and still had to lower the compression just to get 4.6 second laps on 60'. That's a mean little engine. I should find something bigger to bolt it to.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »
Hello!!

I have a ARF Nobler for more than 12 years, When appeared first time on topflite catalog, I bought one without hesitatio. The first time i installed a Fox 35 stunt in the nose... but i had a lot of problems with this engine and the innverted position, after that, changed the fox for an OS Max 35 CL , but I could never make a flight to the speed I wanted. I was very disappointed, I had flown other Noblerīs but could not get a good fly with mine.

I read an article in internet, I forget who it was, and said you could use a .25 engine in the Nobler ARF because the power of a .25 now is similar  or greater than the power of a .35 of those years. I had  a new Thunder Tiger .25 CL who had never used it, so I decided to try. My Nobler now flies just the way I wanted it, with a propeller BYO (Brodak) 9x5 and 5.5 seconds per lap. The engine has good power and my Nobler is capable to do the FAI pattern smoothly even on windy days.

Mucho obligato Miguel......I have an OS .25 but it is destined for a Shark I am going to build. My Nobler is coming along but taking me way longer than the 4 to 6 hours they say in the instructions.
I like yours.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 06:26:27 AM »
Hello!!

Miguel,

I never read much about Noblers because I never had an engine for one.

I didn't knew guys were using smaller engines than 35's and up on Noblers? Reading your Post with your ST 25 in a Nobler was a surprise.

I purchased a ARF Pathfinder to learn the pattern, only because I had an OS LA 46 that was to be used in another model.

I have an OS 30 stunt that could be used in a ARF Nobler, I should give that some consideration.

Be nice to have a second model for pattern work just in case I bury the Pathfinder.

The Nobler is looking better all the time.

Edited for spelling.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:58:24 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »
Coming along. Test fit pictures. 4" bell crank and leadouts installed. New cf pushrod from flaps to tail installed. Tight working in the tail but got it figured out.
OS .46LA installed...yes that is what is going on at this time.
Removed the remote needle and put on an OS NVA. May change the venturi later. One step at a time.
Tricky doing all the new installs but worth it. I am liking the way it looks.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
Shug, don't forget to tape the hinge lines. Good luck.
AMA 34849

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 01:45:39 PM »
Shug

The Nobler rules !!!! y1 y1

I see other light blue Nobler in your last pic.... is a profile Nobler??
Which prop you will use??  I think, if a .46 LA, you will need a 11 or 12 diameter with a low pitch, maybe 4 or 3.
Excelent plane you will enjoy it ..

Regards

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
I think, if a .46 LA, you will need a 11 or 12 diameter with a low pitch, maybe 4 or 3.

+1.  I'm having good luck at the moment with the Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 (it measures out to less pitch than that, I'm told).  The APC 12.25 x 3.75, 11x4, and 11.5x4 are all good props to try, too.  It's a good idea to try all of them and see which one seems best.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Shug, don't forget to tape the hinge lines. Good luck.
I will do it for sure. Thanks.

Shug

The Nobler rules !!!! y1 y1

I see other light blue Nobler in your last pic.... is a profile Nobler??
Which prop you will use??  I think, if a .46 LA, you will need a 11 or 12 diameter with a low pitch, maybe 4 or 3.
Excelent plane you will enjoy it ..

Regards
It is a profile Nobler.
Props...I have several. Goinna try a 12x5 and 11x4 and go from there in trimming.
Gracias.

+1.  I'm having good luck at the moment with the Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 (it measures out to less pitch than that, I'm told).  The APC 12.25 x 3.75, 11x4, and 11.5x4 are all good props to try, too.  It's a good idea to try all of them and see which one seems best.
So I shall....thanks for the sizes.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »
Nice Video Shaug !!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
 Hey Shug, watched the video last night but stopped, the sound is out of sync with the video, checked your you tube channel and it's synced right great job , just giving you a heads up. T.J. PS. Saw the video of your daughter she was amazing the giant hoop would be great for working a new flyer through the dizzies !😁
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
Nice Video Shaug !!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks. Mucho obligato.

Hey Shug, watched the video last night but stopped, the sound is out of sync with the video, checked your you tube channel and it's synced right great job , just giving you a heads up. T.J. PS. Saw the video of your daughter she was amazing the giant hoop would be great for working a new flyer through the dizzies !😁

Hmmmm...the sound synchs fine on mine. Glad it was good on YouTube. Thanks you.
I never thought of the Cyr Wheels being a trainer for the dizzies but it is true!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
The new ARF Nobler is looking good.   I still have mine as a test bed for engines.   The profile looks good in the air, can't comment on sound as the family won't let me hook up speakers to the computer.  So I can't tell what you are saying and I'm deaf anyway.   I still remember the video of your daughter with the hoola hoops.   Such a talented family.  Is she still performing in Vegas?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
The new ARF Nobler is looking good.   I still have mine as a test bed for engines.   The profile looks good in the air, can't comment on sound as the family won't let me hook up speakers to the computer.  So I can't tell what you are saying and I'm deaf anyway.   I still remember the video of your daughter with the hoola hoops.   Such a talented family.  Is she still performing in Vegas?
Thanks Doc. Profile Nobler has a Sairo .40 four stroke on it. Low grumble.
Aerial is in Washington, DC right now performing in Pippin. A big Broadway show.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
Hello Shug
                    I had to use the Kwik link for the elevator in my arf nobler and having gone thru the problem of the link skiping over the pushrod threads and the plane changing trim in flight I wrapped the threaded portion of the link with wire and soldered in place also I did a fillet with solder to strengthen the riveted pin since I heard some people claim the pin would come out of the link. There is not much space in that area as it comes from top flite for me to be able to  use a plastic ball link.Here are pics of what I did. If the solder gets in the threads use a 4-40 tap to clear them. As a safety measure I used a piece of silicone over the link.

Juan

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
Hello Shug
                    I had to use the Kwik link for the elevator in my arf nobler and having gone thru the problem of the link skiping over the pushrod threads and the plane changing trim in flight I wrapped the threaded portion of the link with wire and soldered in place also I did a fillet with solder to strengthen the riveted pin since I heard some people claim the pin would come out of the link. There is not much space in that area as it comes from top flite for me to be able to  use a plastic ball link.Here are pics of what I did. If the solder gets in the threads use a 4-40 tap to clear them. As a safety measure I used a piece of silicone over the link.

Juan

Looks solid....doubt that will let go. Great ides and I will do it.
Gracias.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
Ready for flight. OS .46LA.
Changed bellcrank, leadouts and pushrod from flaps to elevator. Wrapped leadout ends with copper using a cool lil' wrapping gizmo from Jim Lee. It was fast and fun to do.
47.5 ounces.
Hopefully get it in the air at our frozen fun fly New Years Day.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Hey Shug,
What's all that white stuff on the ground...looks cold!  LL~ LL~ LL~

I love Arizona!   y1 <=

Randy Cuberly
PS:  Did Ya tape the hinge lines???
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
It is "Blue Cheese".
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »
Hey Shug,
What's all that white stuff on the ground...looks cold!  LL~ LL~ LL~

I love Arizona!   y1 <=

Randy Cuberly
PS:  Did Ya tape the hinge lines???

I did tape the hinge lines for sure!
The white stuff is Earth Base Cover.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
Sean, I would advise bringing something a little less nicer to fly than your brand new Nobler to the Frozen Fun Fly.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
Sean, I would advise bringing something a little less nicer to fly than your brand new Nobler to the Frozen Fun Fly.

Ditto Shug, definitely use an old beater that you don't care too much about, the odds of damage are pretty high.

Save the new bird for better conditions. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »

Ditto Shug, definitely use an old beater that you don't care too much about, the odds of damage are pretty high.

Save the new bird for better conditions. y1

Thanks for shaking me straight feller.....may be Bi-Slobbin')))))
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
Make a pair of ski's.  AP^
Paul
AMA 842917