News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top Flight NOBLER ARF Control Line Airplane Kit Overview  (Read 28514 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Top Flight NOBLER ARF Control Line Airplane Kit Overview
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
As Winter has fallen upon us here in Minnesota, it is time to assemble and build.
I have four kits to be done but am going to start with this Top Flite NOBLER. This is just a peek at the contents of what comes in the box. Got Tom Morris bellcrank and controls to add to it as well as an OS .46LA-S.

Then to build an RSM Electric Mustang, RSM Tudor electric and a Brodak Shark 402 with an OS .25 to power it.

Ok...time to go and glue something up.......
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Top Flight NOBLER ARF Control Line Airplane Kit Overview
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
You are a kook! Love it , you should be a combat guy. Was that Hamlet or MacBeth I forget.

AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
You are a kook! Love it , you should be a combat guy. Was that Hamlet or MacBeth I forget.

'Tis truth the kook am I. That was a bit of Hamlet....has the word "Nobler" in it so I thought it apropos.
Someday I'll gve that combat a spin I say.....
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
OK, Shug, you have a fan here. That is a marvelous video. I was greatly entertained!

SK

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
Just my opinion, but an LA 46 is overkill for the ARF Nobler. Something smaller and lighter will be a better fit. I think you would be happier with a Brodak 40 or similar. Everyone laughs at the Fox 35, but set up right it's a good engine for the ARF Nobler as it is very light. The control upgrade is a wise choice.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
OK, Shug, you have a fan here. That is a marvelous video. I was greatly entertained!

SK
Thankee Serge.

Just my opinion, but an LA 46 is overkill for the ARF Nobler. Something smaller and lighter will be a better fit. I think you would be happier with a Brodak 40 or similar. Everyone laughs at the Fox 35, but set up right it's a good engine for the ARF Nobler as it is very light. The control upgrade is a wise choice.

Brian
Well that is the engine I have at this time. I do have an old OS .35 but not sure if I want to strap that on the Nobler nose.
Got my Fox. 35 on my Bi-Slob))))
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
Well, I beg to differ Shug!  I think the LA 46 is a great choice for the Noble Arfer! 

The only thing that needs to be taken into consideration for it's installation is that the landing gear needs to be about 1/2 inch longer to accomodate an 11.5 inch diameter prop.  Not really a problem.  About 1/2 oz weight in the tail will usually ballance the slightly heavier engine than what the designer of the Nobler had available.

I would reccommend swapping out the remote needle valve for a ST style that makes it easier to package.  Also the Tank that comes with the kit is not large enough to fly the pattern with the 46.  Opt for a 4 3/4 to 5 oz tank...Brodak Medium width uniflo.

It is actually a very good flying airplane with the extra power...Perfect in fact!

Truly enjoyed the Video...great entertainment!  I'm a big fan of Hamlet also!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
As Randy says the .46 is a good choice.  Don't have to make new gear, just get slightly larger wheels.   I replaced the lead outs and bell crank on mine and it was powered with one of my trusty old Fox .35 Stunts.   Was a great flying plane as long as I could keep the uni-flo vent in place.  Seems when the screw comes out it would fall to the back of the plane and the engine would go way rich.   The ARF Nobler now hangs with an EVO 36 and no cowl.  Fuel tank is just big enough for it to get me through the horizontal 8's.   Engine is still breaking in.   Also remember to check the incidence between the wing, stab and engine.   You will have a great flying plane when done.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
Thanks for the Nobler review, Shug. I really hope some of your backpacking Tube followers, being the outdoorsy folks they are, will see your aeromodeling productions and decide to try Control Line for themselves.
One can only hope.
Take care,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
I've flown two ARF Noblers; both do very well on the 46 LA.  A Brodak 40 may be better -- but they're just fine with the LA.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
Well, I beg to differ Shug!  I think the LA 46 is a great choice for the Noble Arfer! 

The only thing that needs to be taken into consideration for it's installation is that the landing gear needs to be about 1/2 inch longer to accomodate an 11.5 inch diameter prop.  Not really a problem.  About 1/2 oz weight in the tail will usually ballance the slightly heavier engine than what the designer of the Nobler had available.

I would reccommend swapping out the remote needle valve for a ST style that makes it easier to package.  Also the Tank that comes with the kit is not large enough to fly the pattern with the 46.  Opt for a 4 3/4 to 5 oz tank...Brodak Medium width uniflo.

It is actually a very good flying airplane with the extra power...Perfect in fact!

Truly enjoyed the Video...great entertainment!  I'm a big fan of Hamlet also!

Randy Cuberly
I will take a look at some of those suggestions...especially the needle. Where does one get those ST needle valves? Are they difficult to install?
They did upgrade the tank. Read the picture below
Thanks.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
As Randy says the .46 is a good choice.  Don't have to make new gear, just get slightly larger wheels.   I replaced the lead outs and bell crank on mine and it was powered with one of my trusty old Fox .35 Stunts.   Was a great flying plane as long as I could keep the uni-flo vent in place.  Seems when the screw comes out it would fall to the back of the plane and the engine would go way rich.   The ARF Nobler now hangs with an EVO 36 and no cowl.  Fuel tank is just big enough for it to get me through the horizontal 8's.   Engine is still breaking in.   Also remember to check the incidence between the wing, stab and engine.   You will have a great flying plane when done.
I like the bigger wheels idea...sounds easier! Thanks Doc.

Thanks for the Nobler review, Shug. I really hope some of your backpacking Tube followers, being the outdoorsy folks they are, will see your aeromodeling productions and decide to try Control Line for themselves.
One can only hope.
Take care,
Rusty
Thanks Rusty. Some of my viewers did say they are getting into it...most on my Intro To Control Line video.
Enjoyed your stories in the MCLS newletter. Really good writing for sure.
Funny, I just submitted a story to Bob Hunt a few weeks ago about me and my Dad flying a Cox Stuka for the first time)))) Waxing nostalgic. Serendipity.....https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9sbigw57i0u9qb/Patterns...a%20Control%20Line%20Story%20Part%201.docx?dl=0

I've flown two ARF Noblers; both do very well on the 46 LA.  A Brodak 40 may be better -- but they're just fine with the LA.
I like hearing that. The .46 will be pulling the Nobler. Thankee
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
I will take a look at some of those suggestions...especially the needle. Where does one get those ST needle valves? Are they difficult to install?

You get ST needles (or at least ST-style needles) from various places -- Randy Smith has them, and will sell you one with a phone call.

I'm pretty sure they're a bit bigger than the OS spraybar, in which case you'll have to ream out the hole (this reduces the effective area of the venturi, which usually isn't a bad thing).  If you call Randy, he'll tell you...

Having said that, if you're still in the "crashes a lot" stage, you may want to consider retaining the remote needle valve, for crash resistance.  On a profile you'd relocate it so that it's parallel with the cylinder.  On that Nobler, you'd want to leave it right where it is.  You have a slight problem with fuel wanting to drain away from the spray bar when you're starting, and there are some slight issues with how well the engine runs -- but I've run the 20 FP and the 46 LA with remote needles, and haven't noticed any problems once the engine's started.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
IMHO the LA 46 is the only engine for the ARF Nobler.  The instruction booklet shows a LA 40. I could never get my 40 to run right. I have several 46's and they run great box stock, even better with a front NVA.

I have a 46 in my ARF Nobler- Great Combo!

You can never have too much power.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
Another great video from Shug! Haven't seen a single one that failed to entertain!
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
Shug:

Watch out for those motor mounts - they're not maple.  One hard backfire can do them in!

Also, if that's a 6 inch pitch prop, you got way more prop than you need with an LA-46.  4 inch pitch would be better.  Also, if you are going to use Zingers, use Zinger Pro's - they are a much better prop for stunt.

Scott

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
You get ST needles (or at least ST-style needles) from various places -- Randy Smith has them, and will sell you one with a phone call.

I'm pretty sure they're a bit bigger than the OS spraybar, in which case you'll have to ream out the hole (this reduces the effective area of the venturi, which usually isn't a bad thing).  If you call Randy, he'll tell you...

Having said that, if you're still in the "crashes a lot" stage, you may want to consider retaining the remote needle valve, for crash resistance.  On a profile you'd relocate it so that it's parallel with the cylinder.  On that Nobler, you'd want to leave it right where it is.  You have a slight problem with fuel wanting to drain away from the spray bar when you're starting, and there are some slight issues with how well the engine runs -- but I've run the 20 FP and the 46 LA with remote needles, and haven't noticed any problems once the engine's started.
Yessir...think I am going to go with it right out of the box. Thankee for the intel.

IMHO the LA 46 is the only engine for the ARF Nobler.  The instruction booklet shows a LA 40. I could never get my 40 to run right. I have several 46's and they run great box stock, even better with a front NVA.

I have a 46 in my ARF Nobler- Great Combo!

You can never have too much power.  H^^

I got that .46 just for this kit. It is in their recommendations so looking forwrd to prop selection, line length and all that to get a good lap time. Good to hear that you like yours.

Shug:

Watch out for those motor mounts - they're not maple.  One hard backfire can do them in!

Also, if that's a 6 inch pitch prop, you got way more prop than you need with an LA-46.  4 inch pitch would be better.  Also, if you are going to use Zingers, use Zinger Pro's - they are a much better prop for stunt.

Scott
At a friends suggestion I plan to beef the motor mounts up with gussets. See if that will get me through awhile.
That prop is one I just threw on for the video...though they do suggest a 11x6 for break in. I do have 11x4s and 11x5s too. Don't have any Zinger Pros though.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 07:54:59 PM »
I have had 3 NoblARF's so far. I made several mistakes and crashed them all. I broke the mounts off them all including one with mounts replaced with heavy duty maple. NoblARF 1 had both control horns fail where they were wrapped and soldered. All also had leadouts slip to change neutral setting. I have powered them with Fox 35, EVO 36, Brodak 40, and OS 35S engines. LA 46 is overkill. OS 35S is ideal. For your 46, it is mandatory to change to front NVA and dump the rear needle. You can get stock OS FP NVA's from Tower or Ebay, or better, use Enya NVA and ream the venturi and case to get better fuel draw. Enya is available on Ebay. 

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I have had 3 NoblARF's so far. I made several mistakes and crashed them all. I broke the mounts off them all including one with mounts replaced with heavy duty maple. NoblARF 1 had both control horns fail where they were wrapped and soldered. All also had leadouts slip to change neutral setting. I have powered them with Fox 35, EVO 36, Brodak 40, and OS 35S engines. LA 46 is overkill. OS 35S is ideal. For your 46, it is mandatory to change to front NVA and dump the rear needle. You can get stock OS FP NVA's from Tower or Ebay, or better, use Enya NVA and ream the venturi and case to get better fuel draw. Enya is available on Ebay.  
Wow...some harsh luck....
So why is mandatory to switch out the needle valve? I am not sure my skills are up to reaming and engine mods. Just don't see why I can't put on the .46 and fly. That is my current plan.
The .46 is in their recommendations as well as .35 and .40.
Thanks.
I like the name Garf!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
If you are running pressure and worry about the fuel draining back from the remote NVA route the PRESSURE line so you can pinch it while starting.  With the engine primed, and the fuel tank vent closed (pinched) the fuel will more than less stay where it is supposed to.  I did this with an LA25 and the results were quite nice for a couple inches of extra line in a place that otherwise doesn't matter.  It does look a little less clean.  With an electric finger it won't matter though.

Phil

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
Wow...some harsh luck....
So why is mandatory to switch out the needle valve? I am not sure my skills are up to reaming and engine mods. Just don't see why I can't put on the .46 and fly. That is my current plan.
The .46 is in their recommendations as well as .35 and .40.
Thanks.
I like the name Garf!
I know the history of the Nobler from the beginning. The original had the Johnson small shaft 35. Tower wants to sell the LA 46. It's too much. The needle conversion is needed to bring the engine as far back as possible to minimize balance problems. Talk to namvet about this. The conversion is simple. Either use a tapered reamer or a #21 drill bit (5/32" or 4 mm.) People usually install an extra head gasket to make it more user friendly when hand starting. The one time I forgot to do this, it reminded me.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
I'm a big fan of Randy Smith's NV Assy...it's like the ST, but much better. I am NOT a fan of the OS/Enya type NV's. They seem to have a failure mode where they're damaged (bent, probably) but hard to chuck out and replace. They're not cheaper than a Randy Aero NV, either.

All you need is a 'lectric hand drill and a .161" drill...#20. Hold the engine in one hand while pushing the venturi into the case and drill...to compress the o-ring a bit. Drill from one side, drill from the other side, and then drill through both sides from one side. To keep the slight amount of chips out of the engine, just close the port in the crankshaft. Clean afterwards with a Q-tip and/or hose out with WD-40 or similar. I usually use my drill press and just hold the engine in both hands. S'easy!  

If you use the TT Cyclone 11 x 4.5 (like Tim and Tom), you won't have clearance problems (they work great and r cheap!). But the stock LG sucketh and needs to be replaced with an aluminum type. Reinforce the LG mount also. Much better landings...  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
Suggestion: before you drill, pack the opening with kleenex type tissue to ensure no chips get close to the crankshaft.

Also, I notice a lot of LA-46s like to kick-back and loosen the propnut (and yes, even with the extra head gasket).  My starting procedure is choke about 4 flips turning the prop forward (counter-clockwise), flip it through about 5 or 6 times forward (you'll feel it loosen as the fuel gets into the cylinder), hook up the battery and hand crank backwards until you get a bump.  Then a hard flip backwards will usually give you a one flip start.

Scott

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:22 AM »
Aw heck I have a Noblearf with a ST G21 46 in the nose. Only issue is carrying enough fuel, added a wart to the fuel tank which helped but still not quite enough. Is a real hoot to fly, hard to describe with the 46 just growling along like the airplane isn't even there. The LA will be fine...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
I have switched out most of my LA 40's to the .46 because it is so reliable.   The latest one is in the Ringmaster Imperial and runs great with remote needle set up.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Hi Shug.

Your video is great! Thanks for sharing! :)

Talking about building during this winter, I will go start 2 another Nobler 52 from Dixon Plans. One electric and other IC like I show in the pictures attached.

I follow your comments, about what kind of engine is better for Top Flite Nobler ARF. I had the opinion for this kind of plane, no more than .40, but .35 is better.

My last Nobler is building all from plan and I try join two era's of the Nobler life.

Never saw till today anything like that and results very well.

This is why post here, for sure, he goes helping who want a plane very competitive and do all FAI pattern.

My had flow in one European Champ and in others World Cup events in Europe a few years ago.

With OS Max 32 Balanced and BluePrinted by Randy Smith, 8 O'clock position, Bob Hunt Carbon Tuned Pipe inside fuselage, B&O 11x4 wood prop and Fuel 22% Oil (1/2 Synt and 1/2 Castor) with 5% Nitro. 65ft lines, 5.4sec/lap with excellent tension in all space. Total flight time 6m15s.
The total weight is 39,5.oz

Simply underfull plane and many European pilots are testing him. In one of the pictures, Yuri Yatsenko from Ukrania, take a picture with him after flying.
If in my hands flight well, in Yuri hands, the plane are really superb 8)

Shug if you have the possibility or any other pilot, try that!  :D

I attach some pictures of my Nobler 52 and promise post here the evolution of mines :)

Regards,
José
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:01:02 AM by José Almeida »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
That is some good looking Noblers.   I like the way you hid the pipe.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Impressive looking machines!!  I didn't get the 8 o'clock reference until I saw the last picture.  Did you use an RC mount?

Scott

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
I may be totally wrong on this, but...

Isn't there some modeler that takes Noblers and puts 60 size engines in them? Changes the moments and the overall look of the fuselage.

Not sure where I read this, but I believe there was a photo also? Putting a question mark here because I could be thinking of something totally unrelated to the Nobler. But I think it was the Nobler?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »

Hello shug
                      Great video Shug.In my ARF Nobler used an OS .40FP  reworked by Randy Smith  and it flew real well,could do the pattern no problem. I did some changes besides the control. I removed all the covering and used polyspan in the wings and tail,silkspan in the fuse and painted it with SIG dope. Removed the motor mounts because I didn`t like the wood,made a balsa cowling like the green nobler and added aluminum landing gear.Did adj.leadouts and weight box.
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
Great video Shug.In my ARF Nobler used an OS .40FP  reworked by Randy Smith  and it flew real well,could do the pattern no problem. I did some changes besides the control. I removed all the covering and used polyspan in the wings and tail,silkspan in the fuse and painted it with SIG dope. Removed the motor mounts because I didn`t like the wood,made a balsa cowling like the green nobler and added aluminum landing gear.Did adj.leadouts and weight box.

With all due respect, that's like buying a Yugo (Zastava; I don't know if they tried to sell Yugos in Portugal), tearing it down to bare metal, then refinishing it in Ferarri colors and putting in leather seats.

I may be totally wrong on this, but...

Isn't there some modeler that takes Noblers and puts 60 size engines in them? Changes the moments and the overall look of the fuselage.

That sounds like PJ Rowland's Nobler with a 61 Stalker, with which he competed in Classic with Controversy at the US Nats some time back.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

That sounds like PJ Rowland's Nobler with a 61 Stalker, with which he competed in Classic with Controversy at the US Nats some time back.
[/quote]

What "controversy" was that? I was there....Didn't hear of any.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
Hello Tim
                 No offense taken.  This thread is about ARF Nobler  and I derived great pleasure out of reworking mine to make it look better.  I definitely was not trying to make a Green box Nobler out of it.I did build the green box Nobler Twice while I was in the service,I had one in Florida and another in Germany while I was stationed there. I still have the plans. I remember well the Yugo which was sold here in Puerto Rico too. I would have no problem if a guy paints his red,puts leather seats and even Ferrari insignias if that was his dream as long as he is not trying to sell it to me as a Ferrari.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
What "controversy" was that? I was there....Didn't hear of any.

"Controversy" is an overstatement.  Purposeful -- it's been a slow day.

As I recall he reported some grumbling about stepping so far away from a Fox 35 for the motive power.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
(Zastava; I don't know if they tried to sell Yugos in Portugal)
I remember well the Yugo which was sold here in Puerto Rico too

How did I get from Puerto Rico to Portugal?  Dang, these illiterates who can't get past the first letter of a place name; they'll be the ruination of us all!
AMA 64232

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Hey Shug, just a bit of advice on the LA 46. On all of mine i run a ST Needle valve assembly, I put a second head gasket in, And i run the sonic tronic Glow devil 300 Glow plugs. Any RC lOng with an idle bar will help, but i found mine love the glowdevil 300s. Ive also had the piston sleeve retimed but do not he,i the head. I also use Sig Champion fuEL 10% NITRO 20% LUBRICANT.Just might be something you wanna try if ya like. I would definitely go to the Super tigre  needle valve assembly if you dont do anything else to it.Great engine though for the plane. What prop are you gonna use on it? What size fuel tank are you putting in it?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
    Hello shug
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

I remember a build thread on this silver Nobler some time ago. Nice work and I really like the simple clean treatment, looks great! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
"Controversy" is an overstatement.  Purposeful -- it's been a slow day.

As I recall he reported some grumbling about stepping so far away from a Fox 35 for the motive power.

Tim,
I believe the controversy was in Australia, not the US. There were some hard feelings down under about that plane.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
Seem to recall PJ's model was a GIESEKE Nobler....not that anyone should care what he used for power.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
Not only that, but they give points for using period correct powerplants in Australia (and England), so you can imagine the disgust from somebody with a mere Fox .35 stunt when the wind comes up in the afternoon. As it usually does.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 04:35:35 AM »
Impressive looking machines!!  I didn't get the 8 o'clock reference until I saw the last picture.  Did you use an RC mount?

Scott

Hi Scott.
Yes, I did. I use a Dave Brown round mount for .25 -.35 engines without wood screws. (picture attached)
Like you know, is more easy to adjust the engine angle to place the pipe inside fuselage.
No wood motor mounts are used. For reinforced the fuselage and specially the nose and carve the tunnel for pipe without problems, use glassfibre 12 grams/m2 with a mix of epoxy and 1/3 of alcohol, for save weight.

Thanks
José

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 06:49:15 AM »
Hey Shug,
    I made my NobleARF E powered and I love it.I changed the controls to more modern components and put a set of my carbon landing gear instead of wire.My pattern has improved bigtime.........the thing's like a Timex,just keeps on tickin'!!
                                                      Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Hi Shug.

Your video is great! Thanks for sharing! :)

Talking about building during this winter, I will go start 2 another Nobler 52 from Dixon Plans. One electric and other IC like I show in the pictures attached.

I follow your comments, about what kind of engine is better for Top Flite Nobler ARF. I had the opinion for this kind of plane, no more than .40, but .35 is better.

My last Nobler is building all from plan and I try join two era's of the Nobler life.

Never saw till today anything like that and results very well.

This is why post here, for sure, he goes helping who want a plane very competitive and do all FAI pattern.

My had flow in one European Champ and in others World Cup events in Europe a few years ago.

With OS Max 32 Balanced and BluePrinted by Randy Smith, 8 O'clock position, Bob Hunt Carbon Tuned Pipe inside fuselage, B&O 11x4 wood prop and Fuel 22% Oil (1/2 Synt and 1/2 Castor) with 5% Nitro. 65ft lines, 5.4sec/lap with excellent tension in all space. Total flight time 6m15s.
The total weight is 39,5.oz

Simply underfull plane and many European pilots are testing him. In one of the pictures, Yuri Yatsenko from Ukrania, take a picture with him after flying.
If in my hands flight well, in Yuri hands, the plane are really superb 8)

Shug if you have the possibility or any other pilot, try that!  :D

I attach some pictures of my Nobler 52 and promise post here the evolution of mines :)

Regards,
José

Those Noblers are sassy. Thank you.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »
    Hello shug
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan
I love the clean look of this Nobler. Really sharp!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »

Thanks Shug, I noticed you have your videos on you tube,It`s a great idea that way you can reach more people.Keep it coming your videos are instructive and entertaining.
                                                                                                                                                                 Juan

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
          Thanks Shug, I noticed you have your videos on you tube,It`s a great idea that way you can reach more people.Keep it coming your videos are instructive and entertaining.
                                                                                                                                                                 Juan
I have had a few of my YouTube subscribers that they got kits and handles and hope to try it. Some are RC guys and some brand new. Hoping to nab a few more.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
    Hello shug
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan
Juan that's one gorgeous Nobler!
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
The TF Nobler arf has a few years behind it now. I dubbed them "rubber Noblers" the year they came out. I have flown several, owned two, assembled neither, sold one new in the box. My first flight on one was in competition. I placed well! ;) One is still hanging on the wall with no motor mounts.  ::) Worth its weight in fractions of an oz in gold!  %^@

The LA 46 will require about an 1 oz. of tail weight for the stock CG and lead out location. use a tongue muffler on pressure. Try an 11/ 4.5 from Eric Rule for the 46. Another sweet set up for this is a an old OS 35s with a Big Art tube muffler, on pressure. Most important.... fly the heck out it! ;D

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
While I am the first to admit my meager attempts at flying/building PA planes I have to say that the TF Nobler is on of my favorites.  I have had 4 of them and after many flights I have given them away and as far as I know they are still flyable.  I do have one TF Nobler that I have kept. It seems that TF received this plane as a test model for covering.  m
there were numerous colors of M-cote on the plane with notes as to how much heat was applied.  I got it for a 'song" and stripped off all the "test" mono and recovered it.  It flys WAY better than I can . Here's what it looks like today
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:35:47 AM by JoeJust »
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
While I am the first to admit my meager attempts at flying/building PA planes I have to say that the TF Nobler is on of my favorites.  I have had 4 of them and after many flights I have given them away and as far as I know they are still flyable.  I do have one TF Nobler that I have kept. It seems that TF received this plane as a test model for covering.  m
there were numerous colors of M-cote on the plane with notes as to how much heat was applied.  I got it for a 'song" and stripped off all the "test" mono and recovered it.  It flys WAY better than I can . Here's what it looks like today
I like it........good some good flavor to it.
Thanks for showing that.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here