News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there an issue to fly when it's below freezing?  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Is there an issue to fly when it's below freezing?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
Attached a picture of the gang flying CL on NYE in Pullman, WA, about 1959.

Names, Steve.  Who are these juvenile delinquents, and where are they now?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »
The guy on the right is Newton Orr. He was a musical genius, applied to Julliard's and wasn't accepted. He could play over 20 instruments with a good degree of competency. He is a drop-out now; last we heard, he was living kinda off the grid SW from Eugene. A good buddy with my brother Hugh, who was taking the picture.

To the left of Newt was me. Airforce brat, we came from Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, AL. Turned out to be a fair machinist and currently retired, in Rentoon, WA. Flies with the NW Skyraiders, competitive in Advanced, tailender in Expert.

Third from right was Jimmy Brink. Last I saw him was in a barbershop in downtown Pullman, when I was a WAZZU Freshman. He was an Army brat, and came to Pullman from Panama!

Fourth from right...I have no idea...he was a friend of Jimmy, I think. I looked in the HS yearbook and didn't find him.

The short guy 2nd from left is David Ownbey, who was a Boeing Engr. for awhile, got into the computer game and I guess had his heart broken by his wife. She's in Yakima or Tri-Cities and he's in Burien, but still married last I heard from his brother. He and his brother Richard were into eBay sales as a way of making a living. I usta have his email and phone nummer. He said he had collected a couple of antique tether cars, but wasn't interested in flying again. 

The tall guy on the left is John Anderson, who turned out to be a lawyer in the Mt. Vernon/Bellingham WA area. I saw him last on the steps of the Seattle Exhibition Hall, where the Concours de Elegance was running. He had a '40 Ford coupe in the show. 

John's brother Jim is crouching, trying to start the McCoy .36. My brother Googled him, and found he is/was a Physics professor of some note, in Colorado. A big believer in the human influenced Global Warming myth, apparently.  ::) Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
We used to fly in -5, -8 celsius on warm sunny days. We would have the old magician on skis and heat up the engine with a propane blow torch (the small plumber type). Sometimes the propane would get so cold it would have trouble burning...

These are certainly good memories for me, from the early 70s.

-Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here