« on: November 26, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Blank
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:08:13 PM by Air Master »

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Control Line Pilots are last REAL modelers.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
The majority of the Free Flight modelers build their own planes.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
I just helped a guy put in his first CL flight since 1967.  He's been competing in RC sailplanes since the 1970's, but hasn't built a plane for 20 years.

He wants to compete in an event where he can build his own planes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
 Hello Rusty
                          Is just that we started when you had to do your own plane that has given us the love for building,painting and decorating our models. We developed skills that we are able to use not only in modeling but everydays life. When I`m doing something for my bike I make sure is straight and well finished there is pride on what I do. When I flew R/C I had good looking models some of which I designed my self. Here are some pics.
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

That Stilletto looks really nice Juan, it's time for a Control Line version! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
Hello Warbird
                                I have been thinking about it. The stiletto Reno Racer is one pretty bird. I guess I have to draw a C/L version.
                                                                                                                                                    Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

Hello Warbird
                           I couldn`t find the drawing for the P-51 Stiletto but found a drawing for a semi scale R/C F-51H inspired by the jetco F-51H by Mccroskey. I will keep searching for the other drawing I built The Stiletto in 1999. Maybe I can build a plane for a .40 merlin I have.

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »

This is why after almost 50 years of modeling I am going back to C/L, where I started. I live where there is a large R/C club and I don't think I've seen anything except for maybe one or two that was built by the owner. They had a "scale" fly-in and EVERY single plane was an ARF. At least 30 maybe 40 participants. I miss the way we did things back then if you wanted a plane to fly. I do have an ARF R/C but I am not that interested in it. It does fly great, but in a way it's not mine. Thanks for this post, I'm not the only one that feels this way about aeromodeling.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »
Remember some people just don't have the knack for building model planes or much of any thing else.   So they pay to get it done, sometimes it is cheaper when it come to some things.   Also some don't have a place to build.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Connelly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
The modelers I really appreciate are the ones that did rubber powered fliers and free flight. I was never able to successfully build or fly them. I was able to build solid models and then control line kits. I just think their models were more demanding to build and fly. I'm not trying to belittle our control line flying. I think our way is tougher to master from the handle, requiring great hand eye coordination to be an even passable flyer.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
Remember some people just don't have the knack for building model planes or much of any thing else.   So they pay to get it done, sometimes it is cheaper when it come to some things.   Also some don't have a place to build.

true...or they just don't try or want to learn, are too lazy, and just take the easy way out.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
We have a guy in MCRC that built his own RC ornithopter.....it flies pretty well, too.
He is more of a craftsman that modeler, I guess
It's amazing.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
  With all of the worries of life crowding my mind,
building a model plane is a soft place to rest my
brain at night.

I sleep very well.  :)
Keith Morgan

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
  With all of the worries of life crowding my mind,
building a model plane is a soft place to rest my
brain at night.

I sleep very well.  :)

I used to HATE building.  Dad can attest to that!  Once I got older, I enjoyed it a lot more.  In the middle of my second scratch building effort, it's more time consuming then kit building but more rewarding.

The best example would be my Thermic Discus glider. My own design, and I made everything for it from the boom hinge to the dethermalizer springs.  Not many people out there know first hand how cool it is to "make somethin' outta nothin'"

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
I used to HATE building.  Dad can attest to that!  Once I got older, I enjoyed it a lot more.  In the middle of my second scratch building effort, it's more time consuming then kit building but more rewarding.

The best example would be my Thermic Discus glider. My own design, and I made everything for it from the boom hinge to the dethermalizer springs.  Not many people out there know first hand how cool it is to "make somethin' outta nothin'"
I started with kits. At my peak, I would start with a set of kit ribs and build a plane around that. Now I have degenerated to ARFs.

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
I haven't gone out of my way to buy or own RC or C/L ARFs and I don't hold any animosity against anyone that buys and owns ARFs, but what galls my rear end is when the buyer/owner of an ARF tells someone that he "built" it.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
I belong to a Club in S.W.France. I am the only c/l Aeromodeller.

Every other member flies ARTF 'planes , usually 'trainers' all looking the same.

They can't build , and struggle to know how to repair a damaged model.

One chap was having engine run problems with his model. I pointed out that only the cylinder head fins ( about a quarter of an inch ) were protruding out of the engine cowling !

He had 'forgotten' to cut an hole in the front of the cowling for cooling , and no exit hole for the hot air to escape.
I tried to explain the problem , and solution.
He didn't want to listen.

ARTF's are probably the future. Sad.
There's nothing better than building from a kit , plan or out of your own head.

Model 'Flyers' don't know what they are missing.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
In the last month my flying buddy Ed and I have been approached twice by people telling us about their drones. Both times they proudly exclaimed "I didn't even have to build it !".
Sad, just sad.

Jim

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
I wonder if the R.C. A.R.F. pilot's have the same problem's that seem inherent in C.L. ARF's. I.E. poor control systems, covering that falls off and part's "hot glued" together? I don't go on any RC forums but I have to guess they also have problems with shoddy oversea's construction.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
You know, in this crowd I am relatively young, but I started out building plastic model cars in the  early 80's. I sucked at it though I got better. I moved on to guillows kits and then to RC kits and 17 years later onto CL planes.

I find it fun to build, find it more fun to fly!

Thing is everybody can do it. It's a developed skill, barring physical limitations that is.

Folks that don't want to build have a mental block, it may be laziness or it may be fear of not doing well. Either way one only gets better the more they build.

It may come natural to some and it may be work for others. No able bodied person cannot build a model.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
You know, in this crowd I am relatively young, but I started out building plastic model cars in the  early 80's. I sucked at it though I got better. I moved on to guillows kits and then to RC kits and 17 years later onto CL planes.

I find it fun to build, find it more fun to fly!

Thing is everybody can do it. It's a developed skill, barring physical limitations that is.

Folks that don't want to build have a mental block, it may be laziness or it may be fear of not doing well. Either way one only gets better the more they build.

It may come natural to some and it may be work for others. No able bodied person cannot build a model.

Sucks, don't it?  I'm 30 and I'm still "the kid" pretty much everywhere I go  >:(

It's pretty much laziness and lack of attention span. I was building indoor rubber models in Afghanistan and dad sent me an AMA racer kit to try and spark some interest.  There was no competition between it and the X-Box...

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Other than the plastic Coxes in my early years, I've only flown planes that I built, rebuilt and a couple that were given to me. The trouble is now my arthritis is limiting me. A night of sanding, or god forbid, sawing, can put me out of commission for two weeks. This winter I plan to scratch rebuild my dwindling 1/2A fleet, as friends and neighbors have pulverized my best ones to the point of only having one good crash left in them. I think that will be easier on me than 35-45 sized planes.

I wrecked my trusty ugly but great flying beater Skyray. And I spent all Spring and Summer bashing a beautiful profile stunter that I called the Osprey to fly in the October contest and badly wrecked it all by myself. At least it served me well enough in the contest before it met the earth a month later. So right now, I have an ARF Oriental on the table, doing the usual enhancements to make it fly right and last long. I don't know if I'll ever be able to build another stunter without making myself miserable with pain. I hate the thought of not being able to answer that I built my planes. But I do like flying more than any other part of the hobby, so I suppose I'll be the ARF guy from now on.

I do have some planes that I'll try to rebuild, including a very old dilapidated Green Box Nobler and my two favorite wrecked profiles, the Skyray and Osprey. Sort of makes me sad when I see a plane I fall in love with and want to build, but at least I'll hopefully still be flying.

Rusty... the soon to be ARF guy. Lol Sorry guys, them's the breaks.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 03:35:23 AM »
    Just saying what most of us know because no one
has said the obvious yet.

Control line is mostly about competition and if you want
competitive equipment, you need to understand it and to
really understand it, you need to build it.

Or you can buy one Yatsenko after another until you learn
to fly.

The R.C. guys don't have this problem since most of them
just flit around.
Keith Morgan

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »
I have no issue with ARF planes. I have no issue with bashed arfs. The only issue I have is with high end mass produced planes at the NATS competing in JSO who claim appearance points in a event that is a modelers event and not a fliers only event like FAI. It's my opinion that the pilot must at least make a effort to assemble,align,finish and trim his own plane in a field of competitors who have spent a lifetime trying to reach the top and may never do so, doing just this. There is a national FAI event every two years they can fly in if they so choose.

We have rules and if some don't like them the answer is change them. We are seeing this mentality in the government right now. Play by the rules!

If high end store bought cottage industry planes were allowed it would stifle the field to only a few production models that would cost thousands just to compete and hinder new developments. IMO. Sure some would still build and fly their own designed planes. But if a large company were to get involved it would be a computer designed plane that would soon take the field over. Not that there is much money in this Niche hobby but why chance it. It happened in RC

Why do you think when you go the the RC field its all ARFS? I very rarely see a built plane there. One a Year maybe.
AMA 12366

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 06:37:28 AM »
I wonder if the R.C. A.R.F. pilot's have the same problem's that seem inherent in C.L. ARF's. I.E. poor control systems, covering that falls off and part's "hot glued" together? I don't go on any RC forums but I have to guess they also have problems with shoddy oversea's construction.

You would be surprised. The ARF that I just got for RC (saving building for the more important part of model aviation  :) ) is a very high quality product. The control systems for the ARFs are the servos and I only buy name brand servos with a good reputation like Savox.  The ball links that are used aren't as high a quality as ours but they're much nicer than the ones coming from a Brodak ARF.

And there are people still building in giant scale/3D RC. Here are a couple of threads I've been following since they began working on the planes:

www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84859
http://giantscalenews.com/threads/viper-st-100-120cc-scratch-build-it-continues.884/

Matt Colan

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
The CL ARFs we have are first generation. First generation RC ARFs no doubt had their issues. JB is bringing a limited quantity of 2nd generation ARFs, built by a different supplier, look better engineered and built. We'll see. CL ARF issues are many, but most can be overcome. A great boost to our hobby, despite the liabilities. Almost everyone in the Philly Fliers have ARFs. Most of us, have accumulated more than a few. This includes members who build and fly at the highest level. We have seen first hand the failures and shortcomings of these model. Nevertheless, most of us agree, ARFs have their place. Everyone in our club builds and continues to build.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
We have a flier in the MCRC (a terrific club that welcomes control line fliers) that built an Ornithopter....and it flies pretty well, emulating birds in almost every way (doesn't crap).
Troy began with a kit that didn't work....he has refined it several times ti the point hat it really does look and fly like a bird....

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
I know several Free Flighters who might take exception to that statement.  While it's true (sadly) that FF recently abolished the BOM rule for Outdoor events, many FFers continue to design and build their own models.

Having said that, there is no doubt that CLPA (and CL Scale) modelers are at the forefront of those who haven't succumbed to the "buy/fly" mentality promoted by the Academy of Multirotors & ARFs.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »
Too many Open ships are repeats. Looks like many stunt war wagons on the L-pad get brought out year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
Well I can think of a couple of people thinking out of the box now since Windy has stopped competing,  That is our two Bobby's,  Hunt and Wilder.   Look at the twin electric they are developing.   Now has stunt reached the point in which there is nothing that can improve the event.    I see electric and the new radios is changing several of the other events in competition, but has this helped the individual that just flies for the fun of it?   Yes, most FF people build their planes, but I remember my first FF was the AJ Aircraft ARF that Mom would let me buy many years ago before I even knew about CL let alone RC.   Todays people don't have the leisure time we had way back when.  I know lately I may have the TV on but I'm not watching it.  Need to get the cassettes going again, but then I have to stop what I'm doing to change them.  Enough rambling, guess I'm getting old and senile. R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

George Hostler

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 05:38:11 AM »
Oh, I doubt you're getting senile, John. You're right about leisure time. Back some time ago, it seemed that 40 hours a week was considered a reasonable work schedule. Overtime was limited to emergencies and temporary shortages. Once that period was over, things went back to normal.

Over the past 30 years, many people work second jobs or jobs requiring considerable overtime. I've seen where employers seem to care less about their employees and their personal lives, and emphasize their goals. Stores have increased their hours, some even operating 24 hours, working through even key holidays hoping to garner more sales.

Even the US Federal Government has changed rules regarding temporary travel per diem. It used to be one got per diem if their travel in a day exceeded 10.5 hours. Now it is 12. I thought the 10.5 was fair, because at least it would help compensate for a meal or two I purchased since I wasn't at my dinner table and it was impractical to keep a lunch pail without salmonella that late.

Getting back to planes, most those building CL's were used to rolling their own from kits and scratch building. You see less and less build it yourself stuff for kids. 40 and 50 years ago, there were many kit venues, the Kenner skyscraper building panels and girders toys, Gilbert Erector sets, radios, amplifiers, TV sets and even R/C gear. Ham radio was a good venue. There were also lead soldier casting sets, ceramic forming molds and finishing supplies, even kilns. Nearly every military base had a ceramics crafts shop.

Very few people these days build anything. Everything has gone toward electronics, smart cellphones, tablets, gaming machines, etc.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Go to a vintage RC meet and you will see tissue,silk doped planes that could be CL front row at at the Nats. I did a demo CL flying at a few and there were RC models that were much better looking than my CL model.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 05:46:24 PM »
Geez, let me see if I have this straight.  Since I fly both C/L and R/C and I have ARF's and planes that I have scratch built and built from kits, am I a modeler or a pilot?  If I'm flying a plane that I built, am I not a pilot?  Can't you be a pilot AND a modeler? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "man, that guy doing all those 3D stunts over there is a really good modeler".   I don't want to be labeled as a REAL modeler or a pilot, who cares?   I'm just a guy playing with toy airplanes.  We need more guys playing with toy airplanes, don't drive them away by being overly critical.

Anyone out there naive enough to think that control line folks are the only ones who have the skills and the the know how to build an airplane needs to step back and take a closer look.  Yes, there are a lot of ARF's out there in R/C world, no doubt.   Maybe there are a lot of ARF's that show up at your local club every weekend.  However, all you have to do is go to a Warbird event or a Giant Scale Event (most R/C clubs do them as fund raisers) and you will be amazed at the talented builders who populate the R/C world.  We have a guy in our club who builds giant scale warbirds with details that are just sick.  Thousands of rivets, panels, aging paint, cockpits that duplicate the original plane, they are truly works of art.  He built a B-24 that looked like the machine guns would work and oh, he built those by hand also.

I am by no means trying to diminish the amount of talent and hard work that it takes to build one of our beautiful C/L stunters.  I'm just saying that for every one of our amazing C/L builders, there's probably 10 R/C builders that are just as talented.  It's all about numbers. You do know that us control line guys only make up a teenie, tiny portion of the overall model airplane population, don't you?   Doesn't it seem logical that with the huge number of people out there flying R/C airplanes all over the world, a fair amount of them would also be able to build as well as we do?  Why would anyone think that building skills are limited to those folks that only fly control line?  If you doubt my word, go to any of the 3 big RC forums; RC Groups, RC Universe, or Flying Giants.  Take some time, look around.  All three of them have an area devoted to scratch/kit built airplanes.  You think that Stunthanger gets a lot of traffic?  Take a look at some of those threads.  I was looking at one today that had over a MILLION hits.  Take a look at some of the airplanes under construction and recently completed and you will see what I mean.  A lot of them are built by hand, just like our stunters.  Some are built from kits, some are scratch built from plans.   Just because Joe Average at your local field is flying an ARF, don't take that as a true representation of the entire R/C population because that is definitely not the case.  I don't care what it is, every single discipline in this hobby has some very talented builders and pilots (there's that word again), why can't we just leave it at that? 

Maybe a guy has three kids, works 60 hours a week and lives in an apartment.  He has neither the time nor the place to build a beautiful airplane, but he really loves flying.  Mom probably gives him two hours on Saturday afternoon to indulge in his hobby.  Are you going to criticize him for going out and buying an ARF?  Seriously?  All he wants to do is fly, not spend a year building something.  Does that make him any less of a modeler?  I don't think so.  He has the same passion as all of us, he just doesn't have the opportunity or the facilities to devote to building an airplane.  Hey, I love to play golf, but I have no desire to go out and build my own golf clubs-does that mean I'm not a REAL golfer? 

We're all modelers and we're all pilots, I don't care if we build them or buy them, it's the love of the hobby that really matters and that's what will keep us around for years to come.  I'd much rather have 100 guys flying ARF's at our local R/C field than to have no club and no field at all.  I guess I'm lucky, the R/C guys in my club encourage us to fly our C/L planes at the field.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
Photo didn't attach, try again.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 06:28:02 PM »
Geez, let me see if I have this straight.  Since I fly both C/L and R/C and I have ARF's and planes that I have scratch built and built from kits, am I a modeler or a pilot?  If I'm flying a plane that I built, am I not a pilot?  Can't you be a pilot AND a modeler? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "man, that guy doing all those 3D stunts over there is a really good modeler".   I don't want to be labeled as a REAL modeler or a pilot, who cares?   I'm just a guy playing with toy airplanes.  We need more guys playing with toy airplanes, don't drive them away by being overly critical.

Anyone out there naive enough to think that control line folks are the only ones who have the skills and the the know how to build an airplane needs to step back and take a closer look.  Yes, there are a lot of ARF's out there in R/C world, no doubt.   Maybe there are a lot of ARF's that show up at your local club every weekend.  However, all you have to do is go to a Warbird event or a Giant Scale Event (most R/C clubs do them as fund raisers) and you will be amazed at the talented builders who populate the R/C world.  We have a guy in our club who builds giant scale warbirds with details that are just sick.  Thousands of rivets, panels, aging paint, cockpits that duplicate the original plane, they are truly works of art.  He built a B-24 that looked like the machine guns would work and oh, he built those by hand also.

I am by no means trying to diminish the amount of talent and hard work that it takes to build one of our beautiful C/L stunters.  I'm just saying that for every one of our amazing C/L builders, there's probably 10 R/C builders that are just as talented.  It's all about numbers. You do know that us control line guys only make up a teenie, tiny portion of the overall model airplane population, don't you?   Doesn't it seem logical that with the huge number of people out there flying R/C airplanes all over the world, a fair amount of them would also be able to build as well as we do?  Why would anyone think that building skills are limited to those folks that only fly control line?  If you doubt my word, go to any of the 3 big RC forums; RC Groups, RC Universe, or Flying Giants.  Take some time, look around.  All three of them have an area devoted to scratch/kit built airplanes.  You think that Stunthanger gets a lot of traffic?  Take a look at some of those threads.  I was looking at one today that had over a MILLION hits.  Take a look at some of the airplanes under construction and recently completed and you will see what I mean.  A lot of them are built by hand, just like our stunters.  Some are built from kits, some are scratch built from plans.   Just because Joe Average at your local field is flying an ARF, don't take that as a true representation of the entire R/C population because that is definitely not the case.  I don't care what it is, every single discipline in this hobby has some very talented builders and pilots (there's that word again), why can't we just leave it at that? 

Maybe a guy has three kids, works 60 hours a week and lives in an apartment.  He has neither the time nor the place to build a beautiful airplane, but he really loves flying.  Mom probably gives him two hours on Saturday afternoon to indulge in his hobby.  Are you going to criticize him for going out and buying an ARF?  Seriously?  All he wants to do is fly, not spend a year building something.  Does that make him any less of a modeler?  I don't think so.  He has the same passion as all of us, he just doesn't have the opportunity or the facilities to devote to building an airplane.  Hey, I love to play golf, but I have no desire to go out and build my own golf clubs-does that mean I'm not a REAL golfer? 

We're all modelers and we're all pilots, I don't care if we build them or buy them, it's the love of the hobby that really matters and that's what will keep us around for years to come.  I'd much rather have 100 guys flying ARF's at our local R/C field than to have no club and no field at all.  I guess I'm lucky, the R/C guys in my club encourage us to fly our C/L planes at the field.  Doesn't get any better than that.

ARFs do have their place in the hobby, whether as a "quick fix" to get back flying or as a test bed for a new powerplant. I have "built" and flown a few over the years and they all flew well

The arguement is whether ARFs should be allowed in the Junior, Senior and Open events at the Nat's.

The opposition argues that, if you are going to fly at that level of competition, then you need to be building your own model.  At that point, it isn't just a flying event anymore, and many are in relentless persuit of that 20-point finish.

Those in favor of it argue that if the above is true, then the use of the few building services out there should be prohibited too.  Without mentioning names, you can purchase prefabricated wings, fuselages and in some case whole models that are still BOM legal. 

It's an argument that has stood the test of time, and I imagine won't go away. My opinion is this:  if you are happy sport flying or competing at the local level, then ARFs are great.  If you want to go to the Nat's and shoot for a top 5 finish, then you had best learn to work that sandpaper!

Unlike CL, most of the FF community wanted to get rid of the BOM to encourage participation.  Most FF contest see a much higher entry in the FAI events because there is no BOM rule.  There is no big ARF supplier of FF models but the rule change makes it easier to give a newcomer a HLG and catch the bug.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
I think there are some real craftsmen in FF, CL AND RC.  I think the ARF's take out the guys in the middle skill level.  The guys like Sparky that are into it are RELAY into it.   

Like it or not there are some real innovate modelers in RC.  Google Carl Bachhuber sometime.  His large multi engine scratch-built airplane are amazing.

There are also some real hacks among us.

Why does no one complain about the Combat guys?  Are they modelers?  Because for about $50 each ( if you buy a box full) you can buy a better airplane than you could build.     
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here