News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:10:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yellow V-tailed plane?  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Yellow V-tailed plane?
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »
Hey Mike:

Any idea what the name is of the yellow V-tailed plane that appears at about 57 seconds into this U-tube?

It's pretty cool looking!

Scott

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Yellow V-tailed plane?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »
That is some cool video, old time modeling. Not much regard for spectator safety.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »
Scott,
The wing is for sure, one of the Jetco "Thermic" series of gliders. They came in different sizes but the wing plan form was the same.  I remember building one of the Thermic 50's I think which had a fuselage built of 3  /16" square sticks.  Mine had a straight tail though.  The year was probably in the mid to late 50's.
Alan Resinger

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
It is a Jasco Thermic 50-X, kitted by Frank Zaic. See page126 of Frank's book, Model Glider Design. Plans show both Vee tail and conventional tail configuration. These were really good kits, superb balsa which I believe Frank cut himself and excellant flyers. I built about every one of the kits and had good success with them. Won my first trophy with a standard Thermic 50 and first OOS with the Thermic 72. Fun times 70 years ago!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
Now THAT was modeling!  We'll never see those magical days again, unfortunately.  And yes, I've flown my share of Jasco 'Thermic' gliders.  Last one was a Thermic 50, lost OOS at Taft's old Gardner Field facility, c.1970.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:33:22 AM »
  I agree with the Jasco, but I think it's a Thermic "C". There was a vee tail version of that, and I think I have plans for it. In 1939, I don't think the Thermic 50X had been released yet? Like don says I'll have to check the Zaic year books. I love ALL the Jasco and Jetco designs and have a bunch of theme in my collection. Looks like a pretty stiff breeze blowing that day, but everyone seemed to be trimmed out pretty nicely and handling it well.
   Type at you later,
   Dan  McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »
Thanks All!

I found it on RC Groups.com Vintage & Old Timer Plans.  Pretty neat, huh?

Growing up, we never lived near where the NATS were being held so I never got to go to a Navy NATS.  And I still miss the old NATS where you could walk around and see ALL of the different types of modeling going on.

Scott

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »
Hey Mike:

Any idea what the name is of the yellow V-tailed plane that appears at about 57 seconds into this U-tube?

It's pretty cool looking!

Scott

So neat to see. We still fight with the wind.  My dad flew models back then. BTW...there wasn't very many "large" people in those days. We, as a society, have gotten soft...very soft.
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:09 AM »
...that's because they didn't sit around all day watching Oprah!  There's a lot to be said for the active life.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Interresting - that was at the end of a long depression when a lot of people got little food and suffered from malnutrition.  Did anyone notice famous model and engine designers that were just getting started in this film?  I believe that this is not a home move but a government film produced to permote modeling.  With war looming the government did a lot to keep interest in avation as a source for future pilots and mechanics.  By the way the Government was about the only people doing color film before WW II.
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
Even in 1939 the RC plane got a BIG slice of the publicity.
Paul Smith

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
...that's because they didn't sit around all day watching Oprah!  There's a lot to be said for the active life.

My son is a pediatric endocrinologist and does a lot of work in keeping kids fit nutritionally by introducing them (and parents) to healthy foods. He sees kids with such poor nutritional supervision that they have limited knowledge of common fruits and vegetables. His group started a program which has gone national called, '5-2-1-0'. Each day, one tries for 5 or more fruits and vegetables, 2 hours or less recreational screen time, 1 hour or more of physical exercise, and 0 sugary drinks (which pretty much leaves water and milk). The program seems to be gaining momentum.

Naturally, part of my grandsons exercise when he comes to my house is chasing a Delta Dart around the yard!

Ara

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
  By the way the Government was about the only people doing color film before WW II.

No, they weren't. Kodachrome was available to the consumer as movie film in 1935, and 8mm movie film was available and in widespread use in 1936-37. If it was a promotional film it probably would have been done on 16mm, , not 8mm (which has always been a low-end consumer home movie format. And it wouldn't have been shot at random as it is.

As an aside, while the Nationals was and is a big event, it looked like an absolutely miserable day to fly model airplanes - far too windy.

Brett

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
What was the class launched off of the plywood? Would be interesting to see the flights of those.
AMA 77370

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here