News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:10:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy -60- History  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
McCoy -60- History
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
Does anyone know how the McCoy -60- s were being set-up at the end of their competitive era?

Thanks.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: McCoy -60- History
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
I have one that was custom set up for me by Franny's chrome service back in the 60s. It has precision aligned bearings, chromed sleeve, properly gapped rings and a "sewer pipe" venturi. It also has a turned down head & fins as per Telford's Top Cat article. It should be a real barn burner but I no longer fly speed and I've never run it.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
Interesting... Very nice McCoy.

Cliff Telford won Open C Speed at the 1962 Glenview NATS with a speed of 167.84 mph. Bob Violett won Sr. C with a 152.87 speed.

I started Speed in 1967 with an ex Jerry Roselle McCoy that had some work done by Franny's along with a phenolic laminate rotor and a pressed in venturi. The stock rotor retaining rings were replaced by a soldered brass sleeve to set the rotor clearance. But, the basic design was not changed. Performance was on par with Violett.

I was wondering if anyone had gone to a flat top piston and a squish band head by that time.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »

Bob, seems to me that guys were starting to punch them out to about like 62's then the Rossi 65 came out and pretty much did the McCoy in , the Rossi was just a more modern copy of the McCoy but with bigger passage ways and a full 65
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:38:26 PM by bob whitney »
rad racer

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
Right. The early Rossi had a lot of McCoy DNA. I figure it wasn't just a chance step change. By that time one or more tuners likely had built a McCoy that was pretty close. My curiosity has me wanting to know more.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here