News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Palmer Hurricane kit Info wanted  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Palmer Hurricane kit Info wanted
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
I was hoping to get info from kit owners on the contents and hardware supplied. I saw a picture of the box and it says the fuselage is machined, is this a profile ?? the item number CLB-90 indicates it would be built up fuselage. The price is the same as the other Warbird profiles at 109.99 while the built ups are 129.99 ?? Does this kit include the typical Brodak hardware, horns,push rods,engine bolts,canopy etc. ?? Is the wing construction with or without dyhedral ? Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Palmer Hurricane kit Info wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
This is absolutely a built up fuselage.  I have both the original Veco kit and the Brodak one.  The Brodak kits looks quite complete with all hardware.  Can't recall if the plans show the 5/8" dihedral or the differential flaps but I built my first one in 67-68' without either one and flew it at the Nats.  That should make it 'classic legal' either way.  I'm about to build a new one and it will have the dihedral but not the differential flaps and an Enya .45.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
Gary Tultz used to turn some really good patterns at our field with this plans-built Palmer Hurricane (Mark Gerber photo from this site). It flew very well and did not have dihedral.

SK

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
I've seen a number of them at VSC flying in Classic!

Robin Sizemore built one many years ago and flew it for many years.  Excellent flier!

Randy Cuberly
PS:  I've never seen one with dihedral except on plans!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
I like that white.  Mine will be white also in Russian lend lease winter garb.  Guess there was a famous squadron called simply the White Hurricanes.  My reason is to be able to see the thing against a treed background.  I've had a camo P40 vanish on me and it's unnerving.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
I like that white.  Mine will be white also in Russian lend lease winter garb.  Guess there was a famous squadron called simply the White Hurricanes.  My reason is to be able to see the thing against a treed background.  I've had a camo P40 vanish on me and it's unnerving.

Dave

Well Dave...that's what Camo is supposed to do!  LL~ LL~ LL~  Works Huh?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »
Dave I would say you did a good camo job.

Mike

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Yaw Mon! It works!  I found Navy blue/grays fade away into trees pretty well too. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
Here's mine built with the 5/8" dihedral.  Flies great.  I lowered the wing about 1/4" from the Veco kit position to get the leadouts aligned with the vertical c.g.  The first one I built with dihedral but with the wing in the original vertical location had the leadouts above the vertical c.g.  Elwyn Aud photo at Brodak's a couple of years ago.

Mark Gerber

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
That's really pretty Mark!  I noticed the adjustable leadouts.  Think I'm going to go with the original over/under setup.  I'll just have to fiddle with the CG till I hit the right leadout position.  Hopefully the kit specs are pretty close.  I can bench trim it to within a whisker I believe.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
That's really pretty Mark!  I noticed the adjustable leadouts.  Think I'm going to go with the original over/under setup.  I'll just have to fiddle with the CG till I hit the right leadout position.  Hopefully the kit specs are pretty close.  I can bench trim it to within a whisker I believe.

Dave

No Dave...Use adjustable leadouts!...Dont throw away 30 years of advancement in Stunters!  Not only adjustable but separately adjustable. 

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Randy I'm a glutton for punishment. Might change my mind in a weak moment.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Dave, can you tell me what Tank,wheels,spinner ,etc.are recommended ??
Leester
ama 830538

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
Dave, can you tell me what Tank,wheels,spinner ,etc.are recommended ??
Leester I'll try.  Looking at the Brodak plans it obviously shows the Brodak .40.  The original plans had the Veco .35.  My first one used a McCoy .35 and flew well but these days I like a little more power so .40-.46 is good.  It's overall a knotch bigger than a Nobler so  power accordingly.
It just says fuel tank to suit.  In the old days it would have been the Veco T21D.  Wheels show 2 1/2".  3/4" tailwheel.  I'm not fond of the crimped tubing leadout attachment so will wrap with soft wire and epoxy instead.  Unlike control lines these cant be inspected and changed.  Also they use the old Perfect- style coiled wire pushrod retainers.  These will be wheel collars and JB Weld.  The spinner just says 2".  The Brodak does not shown dihedral or flap differential.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
OK, Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone taken note that the tailplane has about 5/16" asymmetry! ??  I'm actually assembling one from a Tony Cincotta (Australia) kit from 20 years back.  Finally got it out to build and was surprised when I placed one elevator over the other and thought I'd been drinking too much Scotch!

HH

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
How is that possible to drink to much Scotch ??? VD~ VD~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
PW's first "PW-51 Mustang" had over/under LO's that also adjusted fore/aft. He hasn't used that idea since (AFIK), but it's possible.  H^^ Steve

PS: Isn't the "hump" about twice too far aft of the canopy? I've got a Larry Richards kit of the "Hurrycain".   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
The full-scale Hurricane and the Veco Kit do not have the hump behind the canopy.  Palmer, however made his Hurricane with that feature. This is a photo of the Hurricane Bob brought to VSC some years ago. The hump adds complications if you mold the turtledeck as I did, but I was following the way Bob made his.

Mark Gerber

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
Veco Hurricane, Fox 40, differential flaps, l/g moved to fuselage, construction started in 1963, still flyable. Over/under leadouts epoxy over tissue versus brass tubing, 4oz tank. Soldered controls, but something has been rattling in the center section for about 20 years.
Lots of line tension, so rest your arm every 2 or 3 flights.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »
How is that possible to drink to much Scotch ??? VD~ VD~

Easy...when you can't find the glass to pick it up, you've drank too much!  Or maybe you've drank just enough...uhhh it doesn't matter I guess.   <= :## :##

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
I think Robin Sizemore used a HP40 in his...good combination of power and light weight.

Personally I think it's the perfect place for a LA46!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »
Easy...when you can't find the glass to pick it up, you've drank too much!  Or maybe you've drank just enough...uhhh it doesn't matter I guess.   <= :## :##

Randy Cuberly

With the heat we had over the weekend Randy the bloody stuff would evaporate before you could get it to your mouth  n~  45.2 C on Sunday here west of Sydney!  Crazy weather!  Now down to around 22 C Thursday.  Might have to warm up now with a dose of port.  :P

Now the Hurricane.

Quote Mark Gerber:

"The full-scale Hurricane and the Veco Kit do not have the hump behind the canopy.  Palmer, however made his Hurricane with that feature."

This one is a tracing of a Veco kit so should be close.   From the bulkhead to where the change in angle is rearward of canopy, it measures 4".  Yes, a bit longer than an actual Hawker version but looks about right to what Palmer's one shows in pic above.  I didn't understand what Mark said about the Veco kit not having the same profile as Palmer's

HH

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 03:26:49 AM »
Original Veco kit.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »
And the wife wonders why I keep turning the monitor up side down once in a while.   Great pictures though and makes me think of building one.   But, I have too many planes now in the works and some that have yet to be flown.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
IPad posts upside down till you enlarge then they are upright.
....or operator error?
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
IPad posts upside down till you enlarge then they are upright.
....or operator error?

My real computer is too heavy to flip the screen and the laptop keeps flipping it when I turn the screen soooooo!   S?P

And, has anyone checked the left/right tailplane length?  Just curious!

HH

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
Dallas

I just checked my original Veco Hurriacane plans and they are symmetrical at 11 3/8" per side.  You mentioned your plans were of a locally produced plan from down under.  That must be the source of the asymmetry.

Jim Rhoades

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
I checked my Veco Hurricane plans and came to the same conclusion as Jim.  The stab is symmetric about the centerline.  Also, the rear deck block that defines the spine is a straight piece of 5/16" x 15/16" x 14 7/8" balsa.  It would be hard to get much of a hump in that.  Anyway, if I build another Hurricane it will have a straight spine which is much easier to make.

Mark Gerber

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Dallas

I just checked my original Veco Hurriacane plans and they are symmetrical at 11 3/8" per side.  You mentioned your plans were of a locally produced plan from down under.  That must be the source of the asymmetry.

Jim Rhoades

Hi from OZ Jim!  How's flying going?  Seems eternity since we met at Barkston Heath in 2006!

No, the plans I have are from an original Veco kit.  The kit was re kitted by the late Tony Cincotta in Melbourne in the 90s from an original Veco kit.  I just measured my plan and inboard stab measures 11.42" and outboard stab measures 11.14" .  Total that up and it should be near 22 9/16"span.

The rear fuz top sides are cut the same as the parts locator on the bottom of the kit plan.  See part F14 on plan.  The top block/sheet has to have a break at the change of angle which matches Palmer's original.

However, If my plan is wrong for some reason, could someone scan an original Veco plan of the hurricane so we have correct size of tailplane.

Regards
DH

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
Dallas, Even  though Flying is a problem for me building isn't so I couldn't resist and bought the Brodak Palmer Hurricane kit. I'm not disapointed !! FWIW the plans show the Stab at 11 7/16" each side. The kit is entirely laser cut !! well worth the 109.99  The Hurricane has a soft spot with me as when I returned to C/L in 2004 the Brodak Profile Hawker Sea Hurricane was my first build.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here