News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 15X gaskets ,screws, etc.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox 15X gaskets ,screws, etc.
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
I just acquired a Fox 15X and need gaskets, screws, and glow plugs.  Any one know vendors and sizes?
Thanks for any info and help,
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox 15X gaskets ,screws, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
I would certainly give Fox a call on the gaskets...and they'll probably come with screws. You can hopefully get socket heads to use instead. If it comes right down to it, you can make a backplate gasket very easily. Some use postcards, 3x5 file cards, or playing cards. For the head gasket, I would guess that any .15 sized head gasket will function fine. Most .15's are really metric bore and stroke.

The glowplugs you want are SHORT reach. I would definitely NOT use Fox glowplugs. Thunderbolts, K&B's, Zinger, Merlin (from Brodak), etc., should work much better. Hot glowplugs are good, and 10% nitro with mostly castor oil will work well.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
The screws are 2-56 and socket head screws are available from Micro Fasteners or RTL. I had converted most of mine awhile ago but forget the exact lengths of the screws.I have spare head gaskets but no back plate gaskets.

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
I would certainly give Fox a call on the gaskets...and they'll probably come with screws. You can hopefully get socket heads to use instead. If it comes right down to it, you can make a backplate gasket very easily. Some use postcards, 3x5 file cards, or playing cards. For the head gasket, I would guess that any .15 sized head gasket will function fine. Most .15's are really metric bore and stroke.

The glowplugs you want are SHORT reach. I would definitely NOT use Fox glowplugs. Thunderbolts, K&B's, Zinger, Merlin (from Brodak), etc., should work much better. Hot glowplugs are good, and 10% nitro with mostly castor oil will work well.  H^^ Steve
Thanks Steve,
I have several new long Thunderbolts and some new Fox plugs but alas.....Marvin Denny gave me som good directions on fabricating a back plate gasket so I think I will be in good shape as soon as I get some short plugs. 
Steve Thornton

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
The screws are 2-56 and socket head screws are available from Micro Fasteners or RTL. I had converted most of mine awhile ago but forget the exact lengths of the screws.I have spare head gaskets but no back plate gaskets.
Dennis I replaced the old screws with the 2-56 Philips temporarily until I can get more sockets from RTL...they seem to be an odd length but maybe because I haven't tightened them yet.
This engine is very old and hasn't been run for decades.  It was seized when I got it, but soaking it in fuel loosened it right up.
Thanks for the help!
Steve
Steve Thornton

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Dennis I replaced the old screws with the 2-56 Philips temporarily until I can get more sockets from RTL...they seem to be an odd length but maybe because I haven't tightened them yet.
This engine is very old and hasn't been run for decades.  It was seized when I got it, but soaking it in fuel loosened it right up.
Thanks for the help!
Steve

Steve,

I think that they are 1/4 inch for the back plate and 3/8 for the head screws. Duke wouldn't use odd size screws that would have been foolish and expensive. Emphasis on cost.
Generally even locked screws let go with a heat applied to the screw area. Mine had been in the engine for 30 years when I changed them. My biggest break was that the screws had not been buggered as the engine was new.

Denns

Advertise Here
Tags: Fox 15X parts 

Advertise Here