News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active flying club membership?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Steve Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Active flying club membership?
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
My son and I belong to 2 flying clubs and there was some discussion at our last meeting of how to get new people interested in the hobby and join the club. A few ideas were discussed but have been tried before with no results. What are you all doing to encourage new participation? I was thinking of creating a web site so people in the area could at least learn about our club activities. Hobby shops in our area are a lost cause, there is nothing control line related other then building supplies in the stores. Any ideas or suggestions would be more then welcome.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Active flying club membership?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:29 AM »
I belong to a RC club that has welcomed the CL flyers in the area. The club has a venue at a local festival each summer.  A static display of all types of aircraft is setup. They allow us to fly demos, CL, Copters, any electric park RC planes. We raffle off a trainer RC plane. The following weekend we have the drawing at our club field. The event director of the festival tells us that we draw a lot of traffic.
The following weekend is our community day open house.  We get a few people to join.
The CL circle is now getting a few of the RC and Helo guys. 😉
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
.... Hobby shops in our area are a lost cause, there is nothing control line related other then building supplies in the stores.

Hobby shops in my area don't cater to CL either, but they know we have a flying group in town.  Occasionally a CL discussion pops up at the shop and we get folks that stop by the field.

It's all about spreading the word. 

Web sites always work too!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
Our club has a Saturday morning class where we teach kids (and adults) how to build and fly.

MM

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
I think that some people don't know that CL exists or how far it's come. I am part of a club here in St Louis and we now have a web site so with the right tags and other stuff we are now getting more advertising. When I put the web site together we were relying on word of mouth and advertising on sites like this one but had nothing  on the internet. So I decided we needed a website back in Feb 2014.

The website has had people in 22 foriegn countries and people all over the US looking at our site.

Try a google search some time and search for "cl stunt st louis" or "control line scale", you don't even have to know our club name and you can find us.

I think as we have become a more digital society we need to advertise in that environment. I know a lot of our members do not like computers or maybe don't have any E-mail but the younger generation gets all of thier information off the web and social media. Consider putting a website together to advertise your club on the internet.

There is a CL club in Denver that has 3 new members because of their website, they found the website, found the information on the club and then joined the club.

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
With the holiday season coming up, and shopping mall traffic increasing, see if your club is interested in doing a mall show/ display. Bring a few models to include some entry-level models, a TV with flying footage if possible,  and handouts with your clubs information on it.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
I wish you the best in your endevor but you wont get much more play that SH already does. Anyone searching control line finds SSW and SH at the top of the list. It only took 9 years to get there.
AMA 12366

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
Just a little something for the suggestion box....
Something that is a problem for new folks is to know how to get the 'stuff' we need and use.  They don't even know where or how to look even if they know what they are looking for.  Hobby shops are few and fewer still carry most of whatever is still available.  I know we have a vendors corner here but it doesn't cover a lot of stuff or in an easy to find format.  Wood, dope, hardware, fuel etc.,  can be hard to find if you aren't familiar with the names and sources.  IF someone is fortunate enough to land on these hallowed pages I think a reference page of supplies and supplier contact info might be great for all of us but especially a newby without a helpful local.  Just an idea given this cyber-driven new aspect of our sport.  I've entertained the idea of a little handout book for those I might encounter out flying but it would be much easier to just steer them here.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
I wish you the best in your endevor but you wont get much more play that SH already does. Anyone searching control line finds SSW and SH at the top of the list. It only took 9 years to get there.

I sincerely believe Robert is right!

I belong to the Cholla Choppers Model Airplane Club here in Tucson Arizona.  We are I believe the oldest continuous AMA Sanctioned Club in the US.

Over the many years we have tried just about every possible stunt to increase mambership but it seems to stay pretty constant.
People come and people go, but it always seems to stay about the same total membership.

We've had a Web Site for many years and I seriously doubt if it has actually resulted in any new memberships, at least I know of none.  

Most membership increases we've had have been the result of current CL fliers moving here to Tucson and joining the club that they already knew existed.  There have been in the past a significant number of folks that have moved here from other parts of the country for the Modeling activity.  Tucson is a popular retirement place and that may be as responsible for that as the modeling activity.

As for new CL folks beginning in CL, there have been a few that founds us at our flying field, but very few have actually become active members and stuck with the sport.  Right now you could count those on one hand and have several fingers left over!

In the early days of VSC we got a lot of attention in the local radio and TV media but haven't had any for a long time.
In those early days one of our Members was Dan Gates.  Dan still is an active member but retired from the media.  He was an announcer at one of the local radio stations and MC'd a popular morning show with another gentleman.  Because of Dan and his modeling activities we recieved a fair amount of publicity but it really didn't result in much new membership activity, only some spectators, which has probably helped with our relationship with the City Parks Department that supplies us with a terriffic flying facility.  Publicity never hurts...unless of course it's the wrong kind.  We've been very lucky in that regard and have been spared any serious mishaps over the years.

A lot of folks have worked very hard over the years to make the club what it is and a few have given time and effort way above and beyond most and continue to do so!

In the past we had several programs to reach out to local Schools and Scouting activities.  We held flying activities with club supplied trainers and pilots.  They were always pretty well attended and the kids always had fun but as far as I know the activities, did not result in one single new member or CL flier.  The only young man that ever joined and stuck with it and became a very good stunt flier came to the flying field on his own volition one day and said he wanted to learn to fly stunt.

That's pretty much the story of membership as I see it!  Fly, and if people see you doing it and want to join they will!  Most, simply go on thier way with a smile and never look back!

Specific activities to increase membership have in my opinion never resulted in one single new member!

The Two Stunt Forums have probably advertised CL flying more than any other activity, and likely will continue to do so.

It's a very different world today folks, than the one most of us grew up in.  I doubt that any of us are going to change that for the better!

I do agree with Dave T's suggestion above for an index of suppliers for modeling supplies etc.  That might be very helpful for interested new participants and for that matter, some of us "Old" guys also!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 04:34:21 AM »
I'm the only c/l flyer in my club and probably the whole county. I keep an issue of Tower Talk handy to give anyone that happens by to watch. I also assist at the local high school with a class that builds a small r/c electric and gets to keep it and it gets flown when it's done. 22 planes last year and 22 more this year. I'm just planting the seed as most won't have time for a few more years. No new members as of 11/18/14. It doesn't cost the students anything and the planes that are left at the school I hand out to club members.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »
The Sterling Heights Senior Citizens model builders club meets every Monday (in the senior center, of course) from 9:30 AM to noon.   We have active members from all over the area, not just Sterling Heights, even Oakland & Wayne County. We do all kinds of models and other stuff, too.  

Check this out!   One of our members had an in to get us onto a boat for the Edmund Fitzgerald memorial event this year.  It was a USPS postal tender.  We even intercepted and delivered mail to a freighter enroute.  This whole deal was negotiated at a model builders meeting.
Paul Smith

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
Has anyone seen my Master C/L Link Site?

http://www.mastercontrollinelinksite.info/clhomepage.html

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
My son and I belong to 2 flying clubs and there was some discussion at our last meeting of how to get new people interested in the hobby and join the club. A few ideas were discussed but have been tried before with no results. What are you all doing to encourage new participation? I was thinking of creating a web site so people in the area could at least learn about our club activities. Hobby shops in our area are a lost cause, there is nothing control line related other then building supplies in the stores. Any ideas or suggestions would be more then welcome.

Our club does a static show about once a year in the library that we meet in the winter months. 
Also there is a steam tractor show and a heritage weekend that do fly at.   Lots of interest but few new members.
We work Kid-venture at EAA each year.

We fly combat, stunt and a pulse jet demo. 
Run a contest. 
Fly at a regular time so people see us regularly.

We are NOT and AMA show team, the show team program does not support control line guys anymore.  We have been a gold leader club for 25 years. 

That being said it does not help all that much.  The web site gets lots of hits and brings in some potential members each year.  Think we (I ) will be making web site bigger and better. 
Consider social media like facebook

http://www.circlemasters.com/
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here