News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine chroming??  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Engine chroming??
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:34:34 AM »
Hi All!

Is there anyone offering a chroming service for sleeve/pistons for our engines?

Please reply with contact info.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Engine chroming??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
It's pretty grim out there. I was thinking of picking it up again although there's really no money in it. What do you want chromed?

MM

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
It's pretty grim out there. I was thinking of picking it up again although there's really no money in it. What do you want chromed?

MM

Hi Walter,

Right now I need an Orwick .29 spark ignition engine cylinder/piston chromed.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »
Did you try Bob Oge? He did a beautiful job on my VF 40.

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »

Good luck, Jerry

Just for your own information, Bob Oge completely ruined the last 5 jobs I sent him and promised a refund but never sent the money. Maybe he'll do good work for you but I'll never use him again.

MM

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

Good luck, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

How do I contact Bob Oge?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »

Just for your own information, Bob Oge completely ruined the last 5 jobs I sent him and promised a refund but never sent the money. Maybe he'll do good work for you but I'll never use him again.

MM

Hi Walt,

How were they "ruined"??

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
I sent him 3 Cox TD .049 cylinders with pistons that were too big and told him to hone them out and fit them without chroming. He talked me into letting him chrome them. After 3 months I called and he said he was having some problems getting the chrome to stick. 2 months later I told him to just send everything back but he assured me it would be done soon and I could hear in his voice he didn't like me calling every month. After a total of 8 months he sent cylinders back and they were different than the ones I sent him. They were all WAY too tight. I found a smaller piston, lapped it down to fit and got one running, it ran like crap. Closer examination of the bore the chrome had vertical channels and gaps that went down to bare metal also chipping on most edges. You could tell they were chromed over and over again with failure each time because chrome doesn't fill gaps it makes them bigger. 3 cylinders with guaranteed compression relief, completely useless. I paid him and put it behind me.

Some time went by. Next was a Rossi .15 MK2 ABC. When I got it back it needed allot of rework. Piston way too tight and had a strange taper in the bore. I would never dream of trying to run it like that. I worked with it and got it running ok but it's not the national level work I know he can do. I paid him.

The last one made it obvious he had a bug up his bum on my account. I made a custom sleeve for an OS Max 18TZ clown race motor and bought a new piston/sleeve assembly ($90) to get a piston for it. I made the brass bore slightly tight with instructions to hone it to his specs then chrome it and finally fit it to the finished bore. What he did was rather unbelievable to me. He didn't hone it bigger before chroming he just chromed it making the bore several thousandth too small. Then he tried to lap the piston down with heavy grit. When I got it back it was still too tight to turn over in the engine, it locked up just as the exhaust port closed and the piston looked like someone took 60 grit sand paper and mauled it to a pulp. The worst craftsman ship I have ever seen. When I complained about it he got mad and said he had done his best work for me and blamed me for the problems huh? He said he would send a refund and never do business with me again. Still waiting haven't seen dime one. Bobby you still owe me $120.

Walt Gifford AKA Motorman

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
I heard Bob did good work.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
I have had Bob Matte do some engine work for me and was very pleased. I don't know if he does chroming.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
I sent him 3 Cox TD .049 cylinders with pistons that were too big and told him to hone them out and fit them without chroming. He talked me into letting him chrome them. After 3 months I called and he said he was having some problems getting the chrome to stick. 2 months later I told him to just send everything back but he assured me it would be done soon and I could hear in his voice he didn't like me calling every month. After a total of 8 months he sent cylinders back and they were different than the ones I sent him. They were all WAY too tight. I found a smaller piston, lapped it down to fit and got one running, it ran like crap. Closer examination of the bore the chrome had vertical channels and gaps that went down to bare metal also chipping on most edges. You could tell they were chromed over and over again with failure each time because chrome doesn't fill gaps it makes them bigger. 3 cylinders with guaranteed compression relief, completely useless. I paid him and put it behind me.

Some time went by. Next was a Rossi .15 MK2 ABC. When I got it back it needed allot of rework. Piston way too tight and had a strange taper in the bore. I would never dream of trying to run it like that. I worked with it and got it running ok but it's not the national level work I know he can do. I paid him.

The last one made it obvious he had a bug up his bum on my account. I made a custom sleeve for an OS Max 18TZ clown race motor and bought a new piston/sleeve assembly ($90) to get a piston for it. I made the brass bore slightly tight with instructions to hone it to his specs then chrome it and finally fit it to the finished bore. What he did was rather unbelievable to me. He didn't hone it bigger before chroming he just chromed it making the bore several thousandth too small. Then he tried to lap the piston down with heavy grit. When I got it back it was still too tight to turn over in the engine, it locked up just as the exhaust port closed and the piston looked like someone took 60 grit sand paper and mauled it to a pulp. The worst craftsman ship I have ever seen. When I complained about it he got mad and said he had done his best work for me and blamed me for the problems huh? He said he would send a refund and never do business with me again. Still waiting haven't seen dime one. Bobby you still owe me $120.

Walt Gifford AKA Motorman

This sounds like you need to take up chroming.   This is first time I have heard of problems with Bob's work.

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
I did take up chroming and did allot of steel SuperTiger sleeves. It was fun. Now a days engine manufactures are making much better piston/sleeves and pinching technology has come of age so I have no more need to keep doing it.

I just sent an ABC GO25 sleeve to RayAracing to get pinched. Told him I wanted a medium-heavy pinch and it came back in one week (not 8 months). Just put it on the test stand and it's got more power than when it was new.

MM

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Maybe a good pinching would fix the Orwick. It is not bad and the bore is smooth and clean. Piston looks good with no scoring. It is just down on compression because of normal wear as far as I can see. The rest of the engine is excellent with tight bearings. It has enough compression to start on spark if everything is right and cold. Warm restarts are iffy at best. I think it would run fine on glow as it is just the starting that is hard on spark. I know little about pinching technology.

After thinking about it, I do not think it could be done on a finned steel cyl. Anybody got any other ideas?
Jim Kraft

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Back when he was doing it I had Don Blackburn do my Orwick 29. He chromed the piston, not the cylinder. It is a great runner but it doesn't fell like it has much compression. If yours does not leak down, run it and see how it does. You might be surprised. I am looking into a lower pitch prop for the full size Madman I have mine in as it is too fast for comfort on a 10-5!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here