News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kit for Scale B25.  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Kit for Scale B25.
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Is anyone here aware of a scale kit for a B25.  I would prefer something in the size range for two 25 or 35 size engines?

I know at one time there were some Japanese scale kits offered but can't seem to find anything on them now!

If not a kit how about plans?

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Kit for Scale B25.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
 Brodak has a profile one available for two .25's, originally designed by Pete Klepsic. Overall it looks really good but it isn't truly scale. Pat King also offers a very nice 1/2A profile B-25, as a short kit, and if you check with him he might be able to enlarge it to whatever size you prefer. The only full-fuse scale C/L B-25 I'm aware of is the old Berkeley one for two .19's and it was discontinued many years ago.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »
Randy let me look at my plans in the morning.  I have some bomber plans in the closet but not sure what they are.

Mike

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
Hi Randy, check out the E-Bay "Control Line and Freeflight" section. Do a search for "B-25". I'd post a link if I knew how to. Two plans are listed for sale, one a scale B-25 from M.A.N. Oct 62, the other a stunt scale by Paul Del Gatto. Both the size you mention and look like worthy projects.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »
Hi Randy, check out the E-Bay "Control Line and Freeflight" section. Do a search for "B-25". I'd post a link if I knew how to. Two plans are listed for sale, one a scale B-25 from M.A.N. Oct 62, the other a stunt scale by Paul Del Gatto. Both the size you mention and look like worthy projects.  8)

I do not know anything about the MAN Oct 62 B-25.  The Del Gatto B-25 is from Flying Models and is a nice semi-scale stunt ship, but not a full scale project.  Leroy Black had one at VSC several years ago and flew it in Classic Stunt.

Keith

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
Thanks to all for the information so far.

I'm looking for this for my first full scale project.  I guess I would be interested in plans or kit for a profile if it actually was a true scale outline!

I do remember Leroy Blacks B25 stunter.  I believe Tom Morris had one also at a previous VSC.  They are nice airplanes but I want a full scale for retracts throttles etc!  I plan to build it as a B25J if I can find something.

I have the ability to draw my own plans with cad but not the time for that lengthy a project.  Just building something will be plenty!

I will check out E Bay and and Mike if you do have some plans I would be interested and grateful!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
Build off this

AMA 12366

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:03:04 AM »
Also consider using RC plans or kits that have scale outlines, after converting countless RC kits and plans to CL scale it can be done. If you use RC kit or plans the hard part will be finding one that is the right size, the RC guys have been building larger models than what we normally would fly. Install a bellcrank and line guide like you normally would, wingtip weight and it will be a CL scale model.

the Koku Fan 3-view is really good and can be purchased from Bob's Aircraft Documentation

Royal kits had a B-25 but it has a lot of balsa blocks, not sure how accurate the outlines are on the kit

To fly with a pair of .35's keep the wingspan around 60-70" span.

This is the scale page we have on the Lafayette Esquadrille website

http://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/cl-models/scale/

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »
Also consider using RC plans or kits that have scale outlines, after converting countless RC kits and plans to CL scale it can be done. If you use RC kit or plans the hard part will be finding one that is the right size, the RC guys have been building larger models than what we normally would fly. Install a bellcrank and line guide like you normally would, wingtip weight and it will be a CL scale model.

the Koku Fan 3-view is really good and can be purchased from Bob's Aircraft Documentation

Royal kits had a B-25 but it has a lot of balsa blocks, not sure how accurate the outlines are on the kit

To fly with a pair of .35's keep the wingspan around 60-70" span.

This is the scale page we have on the Lafayette Esquadrille website

http://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/cl-models/scale/

Fred

Good info Fred thanks.  Very impressive Profile B29 of yours on that site.

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
Guillows has a pretty good bomber line to include the -25, and their plans would be another good starting point too.  I have B-17 plans blown up that I want to use to do a 1/2A Profile scale model (provided these wars come to an end and I have the time to do so), but they would do well to use as a base for a full fuse subject.  The only caviate to that is you would need to come up with a solution for the plastic parts i.e. scoops, cowlings, fairings, ect.

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
Try this website: http://precisioncutkits.com/instock.html

There are several different B-25 laser cut kits for RC listed there,
both full and short kits. Shouldn't be too difficult at all to convert
to CL Scale.

Steve

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
The Palmer Plans are a good choice, the 67 1/2" span would work very well with CL scale

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
Try this website: http://precisioncutkits.com/instock.html

There are several different B-25 laser cut kits for RC listed there,
both full and short kits. Shouldn't be too difficult at all to convert
to CL Scale.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the link.  I went to the web site but none of the links there seem to function.  Do you know if this company is still active?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 04:56:35 AM »
Here is a link to Kitcutters for the same B-25

http://www.kitcutters.com/Pal/PalB25JMitch.htm

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
Here is a link to Kitcutters for the same B-25

http://www.kitcutters.com/Pal/PalB25JMitch.htm

Fred

Thanks Fred.  That works.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
I've ordered the plans for the Dan Palmer B25J.  If it seems suitable to convert to CL I will probably order the short kit.
The kit is listed at $200.00 and the plans are $72.00 including postage.

Thanks for all the info.

When I get the plans I will get together with my friend an flyer buddy Keith Trostle to evaluate the project and get his input on the direction I should take with it.  At the rate I build it'll likely take about 5 years to complete... ~^ :!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
I have the ability to draw my own plans with cad but not the time for that lengthy a project.  Just building something will be plenty!

Plans?  Plans?

You've got the problem solved for now, but in the future all you need to do is print out one or two sets of 3-views like the one that Sparky posted, in the size you want.  Then get plans for a similar model.  Build to the outlines of the 3-views, using the structure of the similar model, and you'll never need to actually make fully detailed plans.

When I do this sort of thing I inevitably end up having to whack something out of the airframe and rework -- you'll minimize that by building to your "similar" model.

(Case in point: my current project is a 48" span Ugly Stick that I'm trying to get off my bench so I can build a Legacy.  The wing "plan" is a strip of masking tape on my building board with tick marks at the rib locations.  The fuselage "plan" is a piece of newsprint with just the rear fuselage taper penciled in, and the two rear formers drawn out.  So far, my only "whack it off and start over" is a 1/8" strip of a fuselage former, to make room for the landing gear mount.)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
That should be a nice build...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
Plans?  Plans?

You've got the problem solved for now, but in the future all you need to do is print out one or two sets of 3-views like the one that Sparky posted, in the size you want.  Then get plans for a similar model.  Build to the outlines of the 3-views, using the structure of the similar model, and you'll never need to actually make fully detailed plans.

When I do this sort of thing I inevitably end up having to whack something out of the airframe and rework -- you'll minimize that by building to your "similar" model.

(Case in point: my current project is a 48" span Ugly Stick that I'm trying to get off my bench so I can build a Legacy.  The wing "plan" is a strip of masking tape on my building board with tick marks at the rib locations.  The fuselage "plan" is a piece of newsprint with just the rear fuselage taper penciled in, and the two rear formers drawn out.  So far, my only "whack it off and start over" is a 1/8" strip of a fuselage former, to make room for the landing gear mount.)

Hi Tim,
Yeah your suggestions are good ones.  I've built a number of different airplanes in the past just about like that also.  One of them is currently a Whitely Shoestring.  My plan there is one of Whitely's old airplanes and it's getting several changes in the process some deliberate and some not so deliberate, but that's a different story.
This scale project however is a little more intricate and most importantly time consuming...just collecting info and odds and ends for scale pieces is a big job in itself.  I'm just trying to save some time and also get what I want.
The 3 views that Sparky sent are excellent and will be very useful in detailing the model.
I would bet that Keith Trostle will be a wealth of information about the project also.  Keith has a tremendous library of airplanes, and is a past Nationals winner in Scale as well as Stunt!

What I really need right now is to get finished with an Analysis I'm doing for the U of A so I can go back to building!!!
Royal Pain in the Tushy!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/North-American-B-25-Billy-Mitchell-Scale-Radio-Control-Aircraft-Kit-by-Royal-/191394928336?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2c9006d6d0#ht_473wt_1108

Check Ebay.  There's a Royal RC B-25 for only $199.  A great 70" wingspan kit.

That's a good 'ol kit but if you want it you'd better jump on the $299.99 "Buy it Now" option, the nice examples usually go for more than that. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »
Just a thought for something "different" in a B-25:

I built an Eureka B-25 while in Japan in 1958. I was pretty proud of it as it progressed, but a guy working at the hobby shop pointed out the B-25s had gull wings, mine did not, so I traded it away for something. Year and years later, I became aware that the first eight or nine B-25s were straight- wing dihedral configurations, my Eureka kit was probably ok, although I've never found another like that one. The spars through the nacelles set the dihedral (or gull wing), so what it is, is what it is.

I examined Ron Duly's B-25 Eureka kit and it showed only the gull wing and the parts were cut for that.

If anyone were to build a scale model of one of the first Mitchells, it would raise eyebrows, to say the least. 

dg

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
Just a thought for something "different" in a B-25:

I built an Eureka B-25 while in Japan in 1958. I was pretty proud of it as it progressed, but a guy working at the hobby shop pointed out the B-25s had gull wings, mine did not, so I traded it away for something. Year and years later, I became aware that the first eight or nine B-25s were straight- wing dihedral configurations, my Eureka kit was probably ok, although I've never found another like that one. The spars through the nacelles set the dihedral (or gull wing), so what it is, is what it is.

I examined Ron Duly's B-25 Eureka kit and it showed only the gull wing and the parts were cut for that.

If anyone were to build a scale model of one of the first Mitchells, it would raise eyebrows, to say the least. 

dg

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the info.  What is in the kit you have now?  I want to build a J model so it would definitely have to hav ethe dihedral.  Other than that nearly any kit could probably be made into a J configuration!

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
19 to 29 size  Japanese kit, form aluminum nacelles  very nice kit, I have one for , the turrets  are formed  plastics, very nice piece  with wheels  nice cuttings on all the wood.
let me know if you are still looking  wingspan is 48 inches  north American B25

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here