News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jo Kotula M.A.N. Covers  (Read 2167 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jo Kotula M.A.N. Covers
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
   You never know what you may find when you surf Craig's List! I answered an add a guy had for some of his Dad's model stuff. Some vintage R/C stuff, engines, balsa and some magazines. Hi dad was involved with the McDonnell R/C club, but quit the hobby in the late 60's to early seventies.
   I bought some stuff from the guy and have been consulting him on the rest of the stuff as he went through it and brought it all home to his house. His dad is still living, but had to put him in an assited living facility, and is liquidating his house and stuff. So he still has his Dad around to askk for any back story on things.
   The guys has some interest in what he has, and with no great hurry to dispose of everything, he has been slowly checking everything out, and asking me questions along the way.
   A week or so ago, he asked me if I ever saw a Jo Kotula painting. For those who don't know, Mr. Kotula did many detailed aviation related paintings that served as original art work for the cover of Model Airplane News for many, many issues. I have heard and read that the original art work for these was long lost. But little did I know that at least one was practically in my back yard. I got to see it first hand Sunday and took some photos. I sent them to Mike Keville, who most of you know if a fair hand with a paint brush and canvas himself, for his opinion of potential value and such. He's working on that with some of his aviation artist friends.
    Does anyone else out there know anything about the Kotula paintings or know if any otheres exist? How many covers did he do or any kind of information.
     This guy's Dad got this when he went to the publishing offices for M.A.N. on some business, and was shown some of the paintings and they offered him one. It really is pretty cool and if there is anything that fits the description as being a part of history, this is it I think.
   I'm at work and hope Mike will chime in here and post the photos. I'm no authority on art, but I know what I like, and to quote Rick on Pawn Stars, "This thing is really cool!"

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
Re: Jo Kotula M.A.N. Covers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
I remember those covers of M.A.N. from when I was in junior high school, they used to have them in the school library and I fell in love with the artwork. That's one of the things that really attracted me to old aircraft, like the WWI planes he painted. I still have a few old magazines around.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Don't forget, if you are on the Internet, and you want information, Google
is your best friend.  Chances are, she (I've decided that Google is female)
will probably find something that you are looking for.

The link for Kotula's covers was not accepted because of its length, but simply
put "jo kotula model airplane news covers" in the Google search box, and you will
end up with a ton of his covers.  This guy was amazing prolific.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
AMA 12366

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »
In the 70's I went to an art show where those paintings were for sale. As I remember the prices were in the 250 - 350 range. Too rich for me then but I sure wish I had figured out how to buy one or two. Those covers inspired at least one generation!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
I remember those from the late 50's until MAN went to all RC.   Had all from that period of time until we moved into a different house and the basement flooded.  Wish I had stored the magazines up higher, but was told there was never a problem with water in the basement when we lookded at the house.   We had a terrific storm of a down pour in which for about 15 minutes could not even see the street.  Almost 4 foot of water and the sump pump couldn't keep up with it.  I see on the first page of covers that he had some back in 1932.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 11:49:45 PM »
He also panted plastic model kit box paintings. Some of the best action and dramaticly colored paintings ever were his stuff.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here