News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Color documentation?  (Read 4835 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Color documentation?
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Hello all,

I have a subject in mind for a 1/2a multi engine scale project. Problem is there are only black and white photos and there is no sure documentation of the colors, only some educated guesses. What's the best way to approach coloring the model?

Thanks,
 Jim

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Color documentation?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
Hello all,

I have a subject in mind for a 1/2a multi engine scale project. Problem is there are only black and white photos and there is no sure documentation of the colors, only some educated guesses. What's the best way to approach coloring the model?

Thanks,
 Jim

Unless it is really some obscure aircraft, it is hard to imagine that there is not a plastic kit available.  If there is a plastic, the color information in the kit is sufficient for documentation.  Do a search on the aircraft, and you will be surprised what might show up.  Some of the really obscure aircraft will show up on a Google search, then check the images that will appear as a flag.  You will also be surprised what might show up if you do a search on e-Bay.  Bob Banka has sold or is in the process of selling his Bob's Aircraft Documentation, but he has thousands of 3-views that might be helpful to you.  He also has photo archives that is short of amazing if not really amazing.  Also, check with the Squadron Shop and Amazon for your airplane.  Again, you might be surprised what you will find.

Or, if you would share here what you are looking for, there are more than a few scale enthusiasts here that might help you with your search.  Or is your project under secret wraps right now.  I understand things like that.

Keith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »
Jim,

Bob Banka's business has been sold, but the new owner has updated the website with new contact information

What aircraft is it? I have the IPMS color guide (if the aircraft is military) that will document the FS color number for different nations. Too bad this book is out of print.

Getting color information sometimes the toughest to get especially for civilian aircraft

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Jim Roselle

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:54:31 AM »
Keith,

That's funny you were the first to respond as my subject is the Bellanca 28-92 we were talking about yesterday. It was a pleasure meeting you by the way.
 Only one was built and so far I've found versions in white and red, white and blue, silver and olive, and silver with shamrock green.  Laddie  Mikulasko stated in his construction article that he could not find any confirmation of color.

Any and all help from the forum would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:02:25 AM »
Jim,

Nice aircraft to model!

The aircraft has been modeled before so you could contact the builders.

Also, might take a bit of research but, you could look into who has restored or is displaying the actual aircraft.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
Jim,

Nice aircraft to model!

The aircraft has been modeled before so you could contact the builders.

Also, might take a bit of research but, you could look into who has restored or is displaying the actual aircraft.

Turns out the actual aircraft was purchased by the Argentine government and eventually rotted away in a field.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
Good looking plane...!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2066338

Fred

This would be my most ambitious modeling project to date. I like that it looks great and should be a pretty straight forward build, if there is such a thing  LL~

Jim

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
In the late 1980s a So. Cal. modeler, the late Morrie Leventhal, flew a Bellanca 28-92 in Half-A multi-engine profile scale.  His was finished in silver with dark blue trim - although I don't know where he got his color documentation (or if it was accurate).

You've probably done a Google search and seen those trim colors of blue, red, and green.  Confusing!  Since there was only ONE of those Bellancas, it's anyone's guess.

Best bet, as offered by Keith Trostle, is to contact the new owners of Bob Banka's documentation service.  That's Dave & Janet Houk: bobsairdoc (at) frontier (dot) com.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Jim Roselle

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Thanks for all the response. I will definitely contact Bob Bankas' service.

In the meantime, if I were a betting man I would say this is solid silver with graphics I could produce on an inkjet printer:

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
Trying to figure out the color from black and white pictures can be confusing, there have been cases where someone thought the color was one thing and turned out to be another color. Sometimes I look for written information that say blue, green or something.

Good luck!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
Colors seen in photographs can be inconsistent. Take the photo in the early morning then late in the day, angle also. Sunny or cloudly could be an issue?

I personally would have absolutely no confidence in printed ink, unless the colors were "managed" to be correct. Chips?

Ink jet printing on what material? Paper or vinyl? Still got to get it on the model. Probably be better off with vinyl masks if paint is your goal.

Looks like they called on the local sign painter to apply the lettering by paint and brush. Freehand lettering, you see made up fonts. Many differences in characters and spacing and in some cases, uneveness and the same characters that don't match. This should be copied as close as possible and not improved upon. Has to be like it was.

So just knocking the lettering out using a font program won't give you the exact look of the actual aircraft.

It is a great aircraft to model.

Quick footnote.

As a former sign painter, if they called me in for the job, I would ask that the aircraft be leveled. The lettering layout could be done easier this way IF it was drawn/sketched on the aircraft.

Or, measurements taken first, then the sign guy could return with paper pounce patterns, easier to repeat on the other side.

He didn't take a shot and bring it into photoshop, that's for sure!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
Ya know, the old stunt flyer in me looks at this and says, "Wow, that would make a GREAT looking semi-scale stunt ship with three electrics in it!"  (And I'm niot even an electric flyer!)  But I sure wouldn't wanna deal with three IC's in a stunter!
Okay, who's gonna be the first bold stunt dude to take the challenge? #^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
Years ago Jim Lee had a three engined semi scale stunt plane powered by .049's.  Think he flew it at a past NATS.   Can't remember the name of it right now.  May have to rattle his chain.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
Ya know, the old stunt flyer in me looks at this and says, "Wow, that would make a GREAT looking semi-scale stunt ship with three electrics in it!" 

You'd have to be some kinda nuts.  But then again, Paul Walker did fly at the Worlds with a semi-scale B-17, with IC engines.

Three LA 25s?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here