News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying Wings  (Read 10885 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Flying Wings
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
Mike, several of Red Reinhardt's Flying Wing Stunt models appeared in Minnesota in the mid-'50s.  It was a pretty good flyer as I recall; Fox .35 Stunt up front was the norm.

Don Still's Nobody for combat was a personal favorite.  I built a couple of wings with basically the same dimensions but modified structure; they were great "wind flyers".  I could keep them up for several minutes after the engine quit, sometimes even sitting down in the middle of the circle.

I have plans & copy of the original construction article for the Nobody for those who might want them.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
 The NoBody has a very thick 2.5-3" thick wing. It is a D tube wing with a horizontal spar going from the leading edge to the middle of the spar. Motor mounts upright and the elevator is on the trailing edge. It is almost industatable when covered with silk.  I flew one with a Green Head at a combat contest at Jacksonville in 1975 the day before the KOI stunt meet. All the top combat dogs laughed when I got the plane out of the truck. They were very surprised how fast it was and I won the contest as each time it crashed it was back in the air very quickly as it never got damaged. Hard tank with case pressure. I flew them a lot back in the day with Combat Specials on them. They do not turn tight like modern combat planes but if you put 3" booms on them they will turn tight. The motor mount is like the Reactor and bolts to a plywood plate.
 I have pictures somewhere.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Mike Griffin

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »
There is some great information in this thread and. I appreciate all the input.  I am still looking at all the options for a kit on a flying wing.  Maybe doing something like taking the TOREADOR and enlarging it I a 40/46 size.  I like several of the designs that gave been offered.

Mike

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
Mr. Griffin.  I told you to keep throwing these little gems out there and I learn a little each time.  I didn't know Don Still ever designed a flying wing.  He is my local guru/mentor/hobby shop owner.  Been friends since I could slide my money across the counter.  Always something interesting in his little shop.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
The NoBody has a very thick 2.5-3" thick wing. It is a D tube wing with a horizontal spar going from the leading edge to the middle of the spar. Motor mounts upright and the elevator is on the trailing edge. It is almost industatable when covered with silk.  I flew one with a Green Head at a combat contest at Jacksonville in 1975 the day before the KOI stunt meet. All the top combat dogs laughed when I got the plane out of the truck. They were very surprised how fast it was and I won the contest as each time it crashed it was back in the air very quickly as it never got damaged. Hard tank with case pressure. I flew them a lot back in the day with Combat Specials on them. They do not turn tight like modern combat planes but if you put 3" booms on them they will turn tight. The motor mount is like the Reactor and bolts to a plywood plate.
 I have pictures somewhere.
Ed

My Nadir - basically a NoBody with modified construction - was a contest winner too, in 1959.  Later I modified the construction again - solid leading edge, 2 vertical spars (one at high point, one near trailing edge), internal 4 oz. tank and side mounted engine; that version was really tough and came in at 18 oz.  With nearly 500 square inches of wing area and that thick airfoil, it too surprised a lot of people with its speed and could be flown (without power) for a very long time in a modest breeze.

The Reactor was also a favorite; this one dates to 1957 and was powered with a Fox .35 Stunt.  Lost it trying to fly combat in a very stiff wind.

Great memories!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
I thought It would be fun to build one of those things and fool around with it if I can find some plans for one. 

Just go to George Cleveland's house and get one of the F2D models he imported.  It will be cheaper than building from plans and will fly better than most of the old stuff.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
I've posted these pictures before. Here's Wooley's FA with pants and my version from the 60s. I have a more recent FA , which I still fly occasionally. I'm also working on the FA 875 design, which is also available from RSM by special order. They are great flyers if built light & straight.
Mike, there is also a 1/2A version FA that was published in FM magazine. It would be great to kit this version. It wouldn't take much wood or break the bank.

Well, duhhh, if I would have closely read the post just prior to my last one, there is the picture of Steve with his FA, and just like Bob posted, a second place finish.  Egg on MY face, ya bet!  But...this brings back so many good and bad memories of my teen years, the bad ones being the loss of Steve and the good ones just remembering what a unique guy he was.  Gotta go, the screen is blurring.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Rog Strickler

• New Pilot
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
I am not sure how good my memory is anymore, but when I was a kid I seem to remember seeing guys flying a lot of flying wings that were maybe a .35 size.  Anyone remember who designed them or maybe have plans or pictures?

Thanks
Mike
Just spotted this thread and thought I would add one to your list of "Old Wings"
Does anyone remember the "DAR WING"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here