News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel proof on 4-s  (Read 6492 times)

Offline bruce finley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Fuel proof on 4-s
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
When using the PM YS 20% nitro, Am I required to use a 2-part auto clear coat.  This what I've heard, just would like the opinions of others.  Thanks  H^^

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Fuel proof on 4-s
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
When using the PM YS 20% nitro, Am I required to use a 2-part auto clear coat.  This what I've heard, just would like the opinions of others.  Thanks  H^^

This isn't just a 4-stroke question, 2-strokes use 15 and 20% fairly routinely. I use 2-part epoxy and automotive clear. Dope (any type or brand) doesn't cut it even with 5% for any sort of durability. Another advantage is that for a given quality of finish, the epoxy/automotive finishes tend to come out lighter than dope, mostly because the coverage is so much better.

Brett

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
Thanks Brett

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
I'm struggling with this in trying to decide how to finish what will be LatencyII . The existing Latency is dope from start to clear and even though I have been pretty careful, stuff happens and it has spots all over it where fuel has splattered. I really like dope, it is the most forgiving easy to touch up finish in existence but it doesn't like nitro. I'm seriously thinking about using dope for the color and KBS clear coat to fuel proof the dope. Only concern is haven't really seen anyone say anything about the weight.

Automotive paint works but it scares me in that I know nothing about it. I have also seen a couple two part clear finishes that separated from the base coats and allowed fuel to get to the base coat, wasn't pretty. The water base paint won't go over dope so the substrate can't be clear dope. AS it stands I will either go with epoxy or dope with KBS clear. Just haven't decided yet..

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »
I'm struggling with this in trying to decide how to finish what will be LatencyII . The existing Latency is dope from start to clear and even though I have been pretty careful, stuff happens and it has spots all over it where fuel has splattered. I really like dope, it is the most forgiving easy to touch up finish in existence but it doesn't like nitro. I'm seriously thinking about using dope for the color and KBS clear coat to fuel proof the dope. Only concern is haven't really seen anyone say anything about the weight.

Automotive paint works but it scares me in that I know nothing about it. I have also seen a couple two part clear finishes that separated from the base coats and allowed fuel to get to the base coat, wasn't pretty. The water base paint won't go over dope so the substrate can't be clear dope. AS it stands I will either go with epoxy or dope with KBS clear. Just haven't decided yet..

I gonna try the KBS product, haven't heard any negatives!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
Foam brushed KBS added one ounce to a 600 sq" classic plane. Here is a word of caution. I have had no problems with it on new construction BUT when I went over a well cleaned old model it showed problems six months latter. It will degrade over areas that had a lot of fuel on them in the past. On another very old plane I put a coat of dope on it before the KBS and it is OK. I sprayed one plane and it came out very smooth with no brush marks.
 If you buy a quart can the first time you open it pour it into four ounce cans or it will go bad on you. A tight quart can sealed up that is half full will set up.
Here is KBS sprayed 25 year old plane with 1500+? flights on it. This one got heavy as I did a lot of experimenting with supper bright colors over a very old finish. The clear added.1.5 ounces. This was just a test of of compatibility of a none fuel proof color and KBS clear. KBS will stick to anything.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
Yes. It's that simple, use auto paint and wipe down your model after each
flight. The two part auto clear is easy to use. It's usually a 4 - 1 ratio of
clear to activator. Depending on the brand, a small amount of reducer can
help with getting a better flow from you spray gun. Spray in a well ventilated
area, wear a mask, apply with fairly high pressure while moving your spray
gun quickly and be prepared to turn your plane every few moments for a few
minutes to prevent any runs.

It may sound like a lot to do, but it really is easy to do. Doug and I have
gotten it down to about a 10-15 minute process to clear coat an entire plane.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here