News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-Square plan  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
T-Square plan
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
Does anyone have a T-Square plan?  I learned to fly with one and would like to build another with wood that isn't Sterling.  Maybe I shouldn't knock the Sterling kit, that airplane was tough. Thanks.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: T-Square plan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:21:48 AM »
Barry Baxter plans service (controllineplans.com)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »
You can get a kit from Walter Umland that is worth the time and money. Full size plans and lazer cut parts.

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:47:37 AM »
You can get a kit from Walter Umland that is worth the time and money. Full size plans and lazer cut parts.

Hi Den, thanks for the plug but you forgot the webpage link  n~

http://www.builtrightflyright.com/New_Web_Pgs/kits/T-Square/t-square.htm

and a picture of yours..

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
Does anyone have a T-Square plan?  I learned to fly with one and would like to build another with wood that isn't Sterling.  Maybe I shouldn't knock the Sterling kit, that airplane was tough. Thanks.

That is one very solid airplane!  I built mine with replaceable motor mounts and did a lot of "wind flying" with it - which required several motor mount replacements.   :)

It wasn't a bad combat airplane, but not on a par with most of the others of that era in my opinion.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
The thing I remember most about the T-Square I had in 1962 is that when the engine stopped the wing would glide "all day long"....very gentle touchdowns.  A very nice sport-flying design, though not really suited for In-Your-Face Combat.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
I broke my motor mounts so many times that I got some aluminum from a machine shop and sawed out some.  After that, I just unbolted them and hammered them back straight.  I know I had a $5.95 McCoy Redhead on it, but don't remember the final end of the plane. I do still have the engine - it was tough, too.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »
I built mine in 1960 and powered it with the $10.00 McCoy .35 Red Head which was my first .35 size engine.   Did a lot of flying in the hay field next to the house when Dad felt like launching it.   He liked watching it fly, but not as much as the Nobler.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
Wow, talk about memories - I also had one with a redhead on it - learned to fly inverted with the beast while at aviation prep school at the NAS Norman OK base.  It must have been tough if I learned some of the maneuvors on it!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
Hey gang,

The T-Square was always one of my favorite planes.  Actually, I started building one about 50 years ago, and never finished it.  It's all done and
covered with black silk (of all things), and several brushed coats of clear, and it looks fine today.

When Walter Umland offered a new kit of the T-Square, I saw an opportunity to relieve some guilt, and complete a plane that I started and
never finished.

So here is the results.   The covering and trim is all Ultracote, except for the pin strips, which are vinyl tape.  The motor will be a Fox 35, but not
the usual Fox 35.   This one is an ABC Fox 35 made by Randy Smith.  All the extra motor mount holes are to allow me to change mounting of the
motor if needed for balancing reasons.

The angled blue checkers look like a fairly simple and straight forward trim job.  But it wasn't.  Laying out the checker pattern and then placing it
in the proper position on the wing, was a very frustrating job.

By the way, Walter's kit was superb, as was expected.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
Mine was covered with the silkspan in the kit and then just clear doped.  Ugly but it flew for me.  I had a terrible time with the LE sheeting - soaked the wood in the bathtub and still it was hard to bend it into place. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »
On mine (1962) I replaced the LE sheeting with soft stuff.  Entire wing was covered with red silk, then doped with 15 coats of clear Aero Gloss - wet-sanded with 600 grit every-other coat after the first five - LE, center section and vert. fin trimmed with dark red Aero Gloss.  WAAAY too much work for a Combat wing, but it sure was pretty.  Power was some old Fox, the one with the big square inlet.  I plugged it up about halfway and ran it on suction.  'Nitrotane' fuel (remember that stuff?), 9-8 Power Prop.  Enjoyed many pleasure flights with it.

Then I screwed-up:

Entered it in a Combat meet, Riverdale, Illinois, same year.  After about five laps, more-or-less, my opponent passed right over my T-Square.  So what did I do?  Give it full Up and "bellcranked" the guy...destroying both models.

He was not amused.

P.S. =  For D.M.A.A. members reading this, my launcher that day was Dave Ek, then a H.S. Senior who would soon enter the USMC.  You know the rest!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here