News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:37:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: J.G. Pailet  (Read 1432 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
J.G. Pailet
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
I noticed on the last page of this month's Model Aviation Magazine there is an interview with free flight guru JG Pailet.  Before Jean turned all of his attention to free flight, he designed some classic control line models.  I had the honor of kitting a few of them which included THE PLAYMATE and the elliptical winged SKYLARK.  

His models had beautiful lines and a very distinct appearance .  I think Gene now resides in Ocala, Florida.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:26:55 AM by Mike Griffin »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: J.G. Pailet
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
I noticed, read the interview, and enjoyed it. I am hopefull that they will interview Paul, Ted, Brett, or David. I am never amused to see them interview some kid that's 12, flies R/C ARFs and doesn't even put those together.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Mr. Pailet also has a construction article in the issue for his fantastic competition 1/2A Free flight...can't wait to build it!  Beautiful as well as functional and very competitive, and doesn't require all kinds of special unobtanium to build.

I second the wish for the editors to interview one or more of the top CL Stunt competitors.  My vote would be for Mr Ted Fancher...He's done it all and is essentially retired from serious competition...perfect candidate to tell it like it is!  He also a true Gentleman!
Don't tell him I said any of this good stuff about him... <=

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
He's done it all and is essentially retired from serious competition...

Tell that to the 17 serious competitors who placed below him last weekend.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:18 PM »
Tell that to the 17 serious competitors who placed below him last weekend.

Yeah, imagine if he took it "seriously" again! Amazing how some guys can take it to a certain level and maintain at or near it. Billy W. is another. How many different decades has he qualified for and won the Nats, made FAI teams and won the Worlds? If he wants to make a come back, he just does it!
   Mr. Pailet is of the same ilk. Been around a heck of a long time and still competitive. I think he was one of the pioneers of foam use for models also. If he's not in the AMA Hall of Fame he should be.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
Mr.Pailet, Jean as he insisted I call him, really took me under his wing when I was flying gas free flight.  We would always try to setup next to one another at the nats.  He was always a true gentleman to both my dad and I.  I was fortunate enough to win open 1/2a gas at the 98 nats.  He sent me a very nice hand written letter afterwards congratulating me on my win.  I will never forget that and still have the letter.  I haven't seen him since 2001, but by judging from his picture and his great looking new design, he is still doing great things in the free flight world.  I sure would like to set down and catch up with him. 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
Jason you are so right about Jean being a gentleman.  When I was in the process of kitting his control line designs I had several conversations with him on the phone and it was a true pleasure just to talk with him.  He is an ICON of what a modeler should be and I wish we had more like him...

Mike

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »

Gean and his Huskie attends most of our FF events here in palm Bay,  would be glad to pass on any messages to him   Bob
rad racer

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »

Jean and his Huskie attends most of our FF events here in palm Bay,  would be glad to pass on any messages to him   Bob

Fixed it for ya!
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here