News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colorado Springs flyers?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Colorado Springs flyers?
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
Is anyone still flying in the Springs?  I have kids here now and more moving to Castle Rock so will be visiting from time to time.  I would like to spectate or launch if there is any flying this week or on my next visit. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Colorado Springs flyers?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
Last time I was there was nothing but grunts and goat ropers.

MM

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
HI Russell,
I do know that Jack Pitcher lives a bit north of Denver, and Mark Gerber is who he flies with.  Both are PAMPA members and can be found through the member list there.  Good luck.
AMA 34849

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »
While the club in the Denver area is not close to Colorado Springs they are very active and have great flying circles

http://rockymountainaeromodelers.com/eic/Home/Home.html

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online Jack Pitcher

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Russell,

Rich Jones and his son Kaige live and fly control line in the Springs. Rich's email is richjones at elpasoco dot com.

The Rocky Mountain Aeromodelers fly cl at Mapelton School in Denver and also in the parking lot at the Denver Coliseum on occasion. See their web site at http://www.eicnetwork.com.

The Colorado Control Line Aerobatics Club flys stunt at the cl circle at the Arvada Associated Modelers field in Arvada on the west side of Denver. You can find the AAM web site at arvadamodelers.com.

You can contact me at mjpitcher67 at gmail dot com. We'll hope to meet up with you when you are in the area.
Jack Pitcher
Vortex Stunt Team
AMA 65309

Online Jack Pitcher

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Russell,

Just got an email from Lynn Boss announcing that the Rocky Mountain Aeromodelers are holding a fun fly at Lynn's house this Saturday the 25th. Lynn has an absolutely spectacular laser leveled concrete circle in his back yard at his home in Watkins just off I-70 east of Denver. Starts at 9 AM and will probably go on all day. The weather looks to be fabulous and the RMA'rs will likely be out in force. There are pictures of and directions to Lynn's circle on the RMA web site listed above.
Jack Pitcher
Vortex Stunt Team
AMA 65309

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
  Lots of free flight activity there . Sean was based there for a while and he got hooked up with the Magnificent Mountain Men. Some of the best there is are there. They might know of some C/L activity but I don't think there is much in the Springs, or Sean would have mentioned it, and that was one reason for the activity in free flight models.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
Very nice website, too! The flying site pictures have me wanting to plan a road trip...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
  Lots of free flight activity there . Sean was based there for a while and he got hooked up with the Magnificent Mountain Men. Some of the best there is are there. They might know of some C/L activity but I don't think there is much in the Springs, or Sean would have mentioned it, and that was one reason for the activity in free flight models.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Yeah that's pretty much the case. I moved up there after my last trip to Iraq. It was odd because I was getting a touch of "FF fever" while I was deployed. A glimpse into the future maybe?

The Denver CL club just didn't put on allot of events, and everything else was outside my Army-approved travel radius so it wasn't enough to keep me busy.  So I linked up with some of the local FFers--Nats level folks as dad mentioned--and got me hooked on gliders.

They have a field in the Springs, south of Shriever AFB that they trim/practice on and hold their monthly club scrambles at. They have a HUGE field in Denver--I can't remember the acreage but something would need to go wrong for you to need to chase off the field.

Several of those guys have roots in CL. I took my ringmaster up to the FAI 14-rounder that they have every July and put up some flights. I passed the handle around and a bunch of guys could still fly. There is a hobby shop off of CO-115 and I-35 that carries mostly RC stuff but one of the guys there was talking about 1/2A sized electric CL models. Don't know if he ever got off the ground with them, or if the shop is still there, but that would be your best for finding people to fly CL with up there.

Even if it's just to hang out, the 14-rounder is worth the trip to go to. They fly AMA events too, but FAI flyers from everywhere come to warm up for the Nats. Denver can be a tough field to fly on and it's alway quite a shootout. Very entertaining to watch. They have a few other contest and FAC Scale meets throughout the year, and some indoor contest in the winter months. PM me and I'll give you a few contacts if you are interested. Happy Hunting!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
I have had the pleasure of flying off Lynn's flying circle in Wakins Colorado, amazing does not do it justice. here is a video of Lynn and myself flying two CL scale models in Tandem on his circle.

Wish I could be there on the 25th....!

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
Those twin 4-strokers sound rediculous!  Way too cool :)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
Thanks to everyone.  I made it to Lynn's fun fly today, Saturday, and tomorrow I'm getting together with Rich and Kaige Jones for a Flite Streak tuneup.  Lots of great people here in Colorado. I have two offers to store an airplane here  for future trips so I have to bring something to fly on my next trip. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
Thanks to everyone.  I made it to Lynn's fun fly today, Saturday, and tomorrow I'm getting together with Rich and Kaige Jones for a Flite Streak tuneup.  Lots of great people here in Colorado. I have two offers to store an airplane here  for future trips so I have to bring something to fly on my next trip. 

Nice to hear that there's still some normal folks there.  I lived for quite a while in Denver and Ft collins, and all my friends from there say most of the denver population is High on grass...gives a whole new meaning to Rocky Mountain High! y1 LL~
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here