News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Over 200 KITS  (Read 953 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Over 200 KITS
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:40 AM »
I was speaking with John Brodak last evening and he mentioned something I thought was interesting: with the addition of DARE, he offers over 200 kits....He is the largest kit manufacturer in the World according to a recent article.
John has built and written the construction books for each of his models, and frequently finds that the CAD pieces need to be modified to work.
A recent release of a C-130 sold out almost immediately.
John lamented that it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain quality balsa because balsa serves as a core for wind turbine blades.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Over 200 KITS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
A year or two ago I wrote about the impact of wind turbine blades in CLW.  Now the problem is even greater!  The latest series of blades and tower parts that have driven past my home have increased in size dramatically!  The latest blades are nearly 100 feet long and much bigger in circumference.  The manufacturers of these blades are buying shiploads of balsa and are grinding it up for the blades.  Balsa prices for the retail trade will increase again!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
So, lets start making models from something else.

MM

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »
I have had the same thought Motor Man.  I just have not come up with an alternate material although I know there is one.

Mike

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
Maybe if we build enough models out of balsa wood, we can force the wind turbine manufacturers to seek an alternate material.   LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here