News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reverse rotation  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Reverse rotation
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Brett made a statement in the general section that the electric guys are moving away from Reverse Rotation I would like to know more details as to the reasons for this trend. I have been flying a reverse rotation 4 stroke for a few years and like everything about it. What am I missing?

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Reverse rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
Brett made a statement in the general section that the electric guys are moving away from Reverse Rotation I would like to know more details as to the reasons for this trend. I have been flying a reverse rotation 4 stroke for a few years and like everything about it. What am I missing?

You beat me to it Bob.  I'm interested too.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »
4 planes that I tried with tractor and pusher props all liked the pusher prop.This years build is going to be designed with a pusher up front.
Bob

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
I'm also very interested in hearing the reason why. Everything we have ever tested with ECL power seems to work better with reverse rotation.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
Only thing that comes to mind is prop selection.  However the pusher prop choices is quite large.
 n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »

Igor Burger mentioned it in a few post..

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,35516.0.html

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
From what I understand some planes like tractor some like pusher you just have to try it both ways.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
Only thing that comes to mind is prop selection.  However the pusher prop choices is quite large.

I know that Paul Walker recommended it to Mike Haverly on one of his profiles, for reasons of trim.  So it's not just a prop choice thing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
I plan to try a standard prop on my new electric. The reverse rotation props I'm using pull my arm off.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

Not an engineer, but fortunate to fly with several very  knowledgeable types...and I'll toss in a  bit of personal observation, so here goes.Seems that the pusher provides a welcome margin of control  in that the aircraft will -upon loss of line tension created by one's own wake , turbulence or  a wind gust,  fly back out; allowing the aircraft to  regain line tension in time (hopefully) before disaster strikes .Key  is the air spiral created by the pusher around the rudder/vertical fin .

Tractors don't offer a similar outcome . As one would expect, they have the  opposite effect upon the air spiral around the rudder/vertical fin, so one is left having to add rudder and/or motor offset ( control-line 101). Plenty of line tension, but not the quite the same...

I know of  an electric flyer  who flies  clockwise and  has  benefitted from  switching back to  tractor. Can't say that is a general rule; just worked better for his particular aircraft.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
Last year's airplane flew OK with a backwards (negative rotation about the airplane X axis) prop.  This year's didn't.  The most awful thing it did was a perverted lomcevak at the top of the hourglass.  Switching to a normal (positive rotation about the X axis) prop made it OK.  Could be that our airplanes were initially optimized for positive-rotation props, and we haven't yet figured out motor orientation, vertical tail position, and stuff like that for backwards props.  One cool thing is that you can get matched pairs of quadrotor props cheap and try both ways. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »
 i tried counter clockwise props on two of my elecs and both gave me trouble in the HR glass switched back to clockwise and problem went away
rad racer

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:25 AM »
i tried counter clockwise props on two of my elecs and both gave me trouble in the HR glass switched back to clockwise and problem went away

Clockwise and counter clockwise looking from the front or from the back?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
In flight ground school, they told me that prop rotation was from the viewpoint of a pilot, sitting in the cockpit.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
And referred to as "Right Hand" or "Left Hand" when they're on the front, pulling the plane. They are NOT "pusher" props when pulling the airplane.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
Think of starting an engine from in front of the plane. Would you use your right or left hand fo the best flip?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Dwayne

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »
I plan to try a standard prop on my new electric. The reverse rotation props I'm using pull my arm off.

And that's it right there, my Vector 40 with a 12-6P pulls like a truck on lines, switched to a standard and it's much better now. I'm thinking others are doing the same.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
Interesting comments on the hourglass and completely different from my experience. The two stunt ships I changed to reverse rotation (Left hand rotation from the cockpit) showed a significant improvement in line tension at the top of the hourglass and vertical eight. No detectable loss of control or line tension on insides just improvements on outsides. I didn't change the normal 2deg of engine right thrust I always put in and do not have any engine down thrust in either airplane. The ships were re-trimmed to turn flat with a small tip weight and leadout position tweak but even before the re-trim I noticed the improvement in hard outsides.

Wished I could put a reverse crank in the ST 51 in my Skylark, it has always had issues with outside line tension. I've managed to trim most of it out but have no doubts a reverse rotating engine would fix it.

I also don't get the two comments on line tension, overall line tension can be trimmed somewhat with leadout position and tip weight but it really depends on the airplane's speed and weight which doesn't (or shouldn't) magically change just because you are turning the prop the other direction.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
Guys, if you change prop, you must completaly RETRIM model, so simple exchange only shows for which prop is model trimmed. If model pulls somewhere and somewhere not, it is simply not trimmed (or even designed) properly :- ))

As I wrote already in that other thread, I did not get as good trim with pusher as I got with tractor prop, also several other guys reported the same. However it is true for classic models type like my Maxes. I can imagine that inliners will not show such differecnece or al least no so visibly. However in any case, the trick is and always will be prop with low presession :- ))) the larger is not always the better :- ))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here