News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Kometa 5  (Read 3550 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Kometa 5
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
I just received a nifty piece of stunt history- this new Kometa 5 from a gentleman in Spain.  The Kometa is circa 1958 and I understand it was developed mostly for the USSR stunt team.  I also think it might be true that Sirotkin actually used the Kometa in his 60'-62' Spacehound rather than or in addition to the MVVS shown on the plans.
These were run in a solid two cycle with a flat prop (sound familiar?).  The furnished prop is something like a 9.75-4 nylon derivative, balanced from the factory by simply filing the from of the heavy blade.  The engine is dual ringed and strongly resembles the ST .29 speed engine of the time.
I'll break it in soon and perhaps it might find its way into the Spacehound I plan to build,  maybe interchangeable with the Tono and something more modern.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Kometa 5
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
This is a ripoff of the ST 29 of the time. One was tested in Aeromodeller, and performed abysmally, - power equal to a typical .15.
However, I had one of these, quality not very good. But I ran it on c/case pressure and a big venturi, it proved much better than that. I had it in a Nobler, and it took it quite o.k.
My engine was very soft compression, I made a special priming mix of 50/25/25, castor/nitro/methanol. With this, no problems. Very noisy.
I've no doubt the Russkie team engines were much better prepared.
Yours is a later model with a different c/case casting, and I think the quality may have improved.
Check it out for revs. on the bench.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Stone the Crows .  ;)

the wonders of modern tecnology . Shouldve just stuck to rubber bands .  VD~ H^^

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:12:54 AM »
I got some oil in the beast and a prop on to feel the compression.  I'd say it's about average for a new ringed engine with unseated rings.  I can hear a little air getting past the ring but that could be the gaps.  Maybe I'll get it on the bench this week.  Frank Bowman rings might cure any ailments.
Thanks for the info guys.  Interesting read.  I was sure off in my guess on the factory prop.  It's actually more like an 8x8.  I read they actually used the quasi 10-4 in practice .
AMA 20934

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
Well, after reading that review, it sure sounds like a nifty piece of something...  Maybe they gave the best hand fitted, exceptional parts to the stunt team, and sent the rest out to model magazine journalists and engine collectors?  If nothing else it's at least different.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
Well for sure we 'll see.  I try to keep in mind the vintage of some of these engines.  The competition for this engine at the time was the Fox .29/.35 and Forsters.  Sometimes we can think about how this 50-60 year old engine doesn't run like my new ABC Schnerle super sputter.  I'd like to try to keep my classics  'classic ' if I can.  Otherwise the whole point is lost on me.  Eastern Block stuff is more unique (and maybe harder).
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here