News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2014 GSSC Results...Or, He Came, He Flew, He Conqured! Modified  (Read 930 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
2014 GSSC Results...Or, He Came, He Flew, He Conqured! Modified
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
The 2014 GSSC is over. But not without some drama; the final flights in Expert, had everyone standing around watching! In the first round Dave Fitzgerald showed why he is a multi time Nats winner, with an impressive 606.5. But the Canadian contingency was not to be denied. Chris Cox had a 599 first round and knew he had to up his game in the second, and he did. He flew an remarkable 616.5 in his second round, and you should have heard the buzz when that score was posted. (At this point I need to say that both judges scored Chris within one point; the flight was that good!) But Dave was prepared, and when he took off on his second flight everyone was watching. He can be proud of the flight, he backed up his 606.5 with a very impressive 611! Oh well.

The weather certainly helped the flyers. A very steady 3-5 mph breeze and clear skies gave us almost perfect flying conditions, unlike Saturday's 8-12 mph gusts that were changing directions for Classic and Old Time flyers.

I was told that this was the first contest that saw a score of 602.5 not make the podium! How can anyone put in that kind of flight and walk away empty handed? Ask Howard Rush, he now has that honor, or the "distinction" of that accomplishment. It would have been even more interesting if Brett Buck had been able to compete, but a sudden illness prevented him from flying on Sunday.

The Saturday banquet was as fun as the flying. Dave Fitzgerald and Howard Rush combined to give us great stories and pictures of this past Nats and World competition; can a banquet get any better? Yea, the Tri-tip and chicken were good too.

A little run down; Expert had 22 flyers; Advanced had 12, Intermediate had 3, Beginner 2, Old Time had 6 with Classic flying 17. Our judges had a workout!

Brian
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:21:16 PM by Brian Massey »
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2014 GSSC Results...Or, He Came, He Flew, He Conqured! Modified
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
My biggest and greatest possible congratulations to Chris Cox for a yob (sic) well done! I bet Alan is happy that Chris is flying home...  ;)

I've started campaigning for attending next year, FWIW.   y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
Re: 2014 GSSC Results...Or, He Came, He Flew, He Conqured! Modified
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
Very nice Chris!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here