News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dan McEntee's Cox Stuka flying at Buder Park  (Read 19640 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Dan McEntee's Cox Stuka flying at Buder Park
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Dan got the Cox Stuka flying today at Buder park...

Enjoy,
Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
Re: Dan McEntee's Cox Stuka flying at Buder Park
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
Shoot Dan,

Sorry I missed that. Thank goodness for video! That thing flys better than what I was told.

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
I am impressed and happy for you.
I love goofing with 1/2A's.
But you know you are going to have the collectors having small strokes for the next few days right?

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
Heartwarming for sure Dan and.....my Dad and I shared an intro to control line with the exact same plane. Dad took it off straight up and down she came to smash into bits. All I remember is my Dad running backwards. We went out for BBQ and homemade ice cream after. Saw my Dad turn into a 14 year old boy that day. Changed my life.
I did want to see the bomb drop...
Nice Dan.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm sure Grandma and uncle Jimmy were watching proudly.  Looked really good!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
Here is a picture of the Cox Stuka that was flown today, awesome landing Dan!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »

AWESOME!!! That's the first time I've ever seen a Cox Stuka actually fly, and not too badly either! I was amazed at the landing too, I figured it would drop like a rock. Nice job and neat story Dan! y1

Just curious, what size and length lines did you use?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
Outstanding!  Those things will fly, in the hands of a competent pilot.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
   Fred, thanks a whole bunch for making and putting up the video. I was on line and on site when it popped up and I think I was the first to view it. I still can't believe how well it flew! You go through a life time of hearing how some of these plastic RTF models were just slugs on a string, that it really was upper most in my mind to be ready for anything. The airplane is made up of pieces and parts  and is mostly complete, and has several repairs and such to help it stay together. I have a couple of really nicer ones, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time and effort on this one fixing it up, in case I did a replay of my first experience with trying to fly one! I think I have enough parts for another, and may do a better rebuild with full markings as a flyable model also, now that I know what to expect.
   This was just a simple thing but really meant a lot to me. Thanks again to Fred and the rest of the Lafayette Esquadrille model airplane club for the help today. More flights to come, and Hey Shug! I DO have the bomb for it, and now that I know it flies with some real pull and authority, it will get added to the mix! I just and really thrilled with it and can't believe it went that well. I flew it again later in the day and had another great flight and smooth landing. I'm looking at a Cox P-40 or two within eye shot as I'm typing this, and they will probably get a taste of fuel and flight in the near future also! And some Corsairs. And a Skyraider that was a recent addition!
  I've watched it about 6 or 8 times so far tonight, and gonna watch it one more time before I shut down for the night!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
   PS to add:
    And it was more like almost 50 years ago that I made the first "attempt."  1966 or 67 I think.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
If you hav a well broken in engine and racing fuel it WILL do a loop. Inverted fafeggaboudit! Great wing, adequate stab area, decent control sensitivity, fragile as an egg!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

John Leidle

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 02:07:52 AM »
  Awesome,  I got one for Christmas Dec 1962  all the other guys got PT19s & Mustangs  but I had the cool plane  mine was green. Yes it busted up on the first flight.
  John

Offline Kim Stricker

• Dedicated Castor-Slinger !!!
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:41 AM »
Fantastic Dan !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »
That's awesome! I had one when I was about 10 years old and
could never get that thing to fly.

Steve

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Excellent post, was fun to watch and hear the story!!!

thanks for doing this!!!
Duck

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Dan,

Nice flying! I'd be excited also, must be a challange flying that small model. Incredable landing!

Nice foliage in the background. Building season starting?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
The reason it looks to fly so well is Dan's great technique. The undercamber wing design makes the center of lift ever moving making the neutral point an ever changing point. His immediate and proper actions leading the the elevator input as the model comes into the wind keeps the oscilations from wind down to a minimum, and he never lets it get very high. The reason the landing is so smooth is that Dan knows to keep it low and dive it to the deck once the engine quits, coupled with the good surface at Buder Park it culminates with a nice rollout too.
Great Dan! Nice tribute, and fun for you I can see.
Chris...

P.S. If you want to see a big difference, Monokote the wing bottom closed (using a few strips of styrene for anchors and to make sure the wing stays straight). Watch that wing become something completely different, same as closing the bottom of the wings on those TF Form Flite 1/2A's. They fly great that way.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
    Hey Chris!
    I was hoping you would see this! I remember you talking about the Top Flite Form Flite 1/2A  models. I had problems with those as a kid and never knew why. I got a few of those kits set back and will get at one of those modified accordingly with some sheet balsa on the bottom of the wing. I remember a P-47 giving me the biggest problem, never could get it to fly! That will be on the agenda for next summer! Land it was a dream! In the video, the engine quits just to the left of the camera. It glided around to the back side of the circle and I had a bit of down it to hold the speed, and I was able to flare it for landing! That is what shocked me the most, that I still had some elevator authority right at touch down. Like I said before, it was a simple thing but just tickles me to death! I'm still kind of giddy about it!
    Hey Larry Renger!
   Glad you checked in also. I don't think I'm gonna try the loop, but a wing over into a bomb release just might get a try! I have a couple of the bombs,  I think.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »
Don't forget, when I looped one, I could walk down to customer service and get replacement parts! :)

DesignMan

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
Great stuff. I remember flying one back in the 70's. Even managed to get the bomb drop to work a few times.

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:31 PM »
Dan, that was one of the best control line flights I have ever seen.  My first control line model was a Cox Skyraider that my father bought for me in 1967.  We tried several unsuccessful flight attempts before busting it up.  I now have a mint NIB box example that I have been tempted to fly just for the thrill that you just experienced.  From the look on your face, the depreciation of a NIB Cox seems to be worth the nostalgic experience.  Why leave it for some pimple face kid to tear up after I die.  I should get the thrill of flying and enjoying the experience!!  Good on you, and thanks for sharing your emotional experience with those of us who truly know how you felt.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »
   Hey Lou;
    Keep your eyes open, there are Skyraiders out there. I found one at a local antique shop for ten bucks about a year ago. Pretty nice shape and minimal work to get it flying. It may be the next in line for a flight. I have a new in box Skyraider also, one of the last versions they put out of that model. Got a P-40 also that I want to find some missing pieces for before I try that one. I have a few 1/2A kits I want to build for old times sake also. Some Scientific hollow logs and especially a Big Otto. And the Form Flite models like Chris McMillin brought up. Returning to our roots, where it all began! Simple models for simple fun!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
              I have a Cox Super Sport which looks great but that's pretty much it. It makes a great tethered two wheel go kart. It doesn't want to get off of the ground. That was years ago and I still have the plane. Seeing this video makes me question many things about my plane. I only tried it once and it's been hanging around here since new back in 75-76 era. It truly is heavy and this has me suspicious in terms of flying. One Cox plane in particular that I really enjoyed flying was the electric Piper Comanche. This plane used a 6 volt lantern battery to charge it up. It was very simple and reliable to use. When up elevator was applied it turned on the motor. Unfortunately the knot failed on the bellcrank and this caused the demise of my fun. I always wanted to get another back then. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
The Super Sport was definitely marginal! Happily, not my design.   :##

DesignMan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »

Other than using up a couple of PT-19's back in the day, the magenta Super Sport was the only other Cox plane I ever had. As I recall I thought it flew pretty well, at least as far as I knew at the time. It was definitely no stunter, but neither was I. I flew it a ton one summer until I let a friend fly it and he promptly flew it into a wood fence and destroyed it. That was a bummer day. About ten years ago I bought a perfect NIB one on Ebay just 'cuz I thought it was cool and to keep one for memories sake. Thing is I'd actually like to fly it "just to see" but this one is perfect and to me it would be a shame for it to even see fuel. 

Wayne Willey

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
Why not enjoy, before it becomes landfill? We don't live forever!

I'm being tongue in cheek of course. Nobody will appreciate it or enjoy as much as you do. Have a little fun... ;)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Why not enjoy, before it becomes landfill? We don't live forever!

I'm being tongue in cheek of course. Nobody will appreciate it or enjoy as much as you do. Have a little fun... ;)

I agree. The number of folks with memories of flying these things gets smaller every day. Non modelers around my age don't appreciate things like that.  Just think about Beanie-Babies. Right now I'm watching my daughter drool on one that could have fetched a pretty penny 15 years ago. While this may be a bit extreme, the only thing that allows a plastic RTF goes for a couple hundred bucks on eBay is one persons desire to have something coupled with another persons greed.

So go fly it! :D

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »
  The Super Sport is one I don't have in my collection that I would like to. Just a decent one that is flyable. I keep looking. I have several Corsairs. And a Spitfire is another one I would like to fly. I have a nice one in the box, and another one hanging from the ceiling that I rebuilt back to nice condition by grafting on a vertical fin to the right side fuselage half. It's a good candidate for a flying version and may come off the ceiling for a flight or two. My older brother Ted had a Wen-Mac Dauntless that I lusted after that was the blue Navy version. I have been looking for one of those for a long time. I have the olive drab Army A-24 version, and a light blue one that is a good candidate for one to fly but still needs some work. Got a Testors/Wen-Mac T-6 to put finishing touches on that I have been pieceing together. So many airplanes and so little time!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
 Here's an idea...

...maybe the St. Louis gang (and others) should consider adding a "Plastic Fantastic" class at the annual September contest? Just thinking out loud here, but have some sort of basic flight and simple maneuver scoring combined with a flight score for overall "impression" or "showmanship" given by a panel of three to five judges. Think "Dancing with the Stars" type scoring combined with the flight score for the total.

Who knows what kind of stuff might come out of the closets... S?P

Wayne Willey

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
Fly your model, then carefully disassemble it and wash, then dry all the parts. with liquid dish soap. Be gentle around all the decorations as they weren't very durable. Oil wipe the lg and pushrod wires.

Wipe the engine and mount as clean as you can (or disassemble it and REALLY CLEAN  it) use after-run or air tool oil for preservative. Clean the mount with alcohol to keep the oil off the model's plastic parts.

Put it back inthe box and find a place that can re-shrink wrap it. Bingo, a pristine model for your collection, but have flown!

#^

DesignMan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »
Fly your model, then carefully disassemble it and wash, then dry all the parts. with liquid dish soap. Be gentle around all the decorations as they weren't very durable. Oil wipe the lg and pushrod wires.

Wipe the engine and mount as clean as you can (or disassemble it and REALLY CLEAN  it) use after-run or air tool oil for preservative. Clean the mount with alcohol to keep the oil off the model's plastic parts.

Put it back inthe box and find a place that can re-shrink wrap it. Bingo, a pristine model for your collection, but have flown!

#^

Thanks for the suggestions Larry, and I know, but there is just no way you'd ever get parts of it as clean again as if it had simply never seen fuel. I do realize it's all kind of a silly concern on my part but I just want to keep this particular example as perfect as it is, it's kind of why I bought this one in the first place. Not that it really means anything, but with some of this older stuff I guess my viewpoint is that if it has survived this many years without getting messed up why ruin it now? To me it's not really about the value either, it's just about preserving the history. For some reason I get sentimental about some of these things, I just think it's really cool old stuff. Dan's video sure had me thinking again though... ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »

Now how cool was that? (Dan's video.) Pretty cool, I'll say.  A fine tribute to your mom and brother that has a lot of meaning to you.

Ah, plastic Cox airplanes!  I too, had a few of them "back when"... and never learned to fly with any of them!  Fell to a Sterling Beginners Ringmaster for that honor! (Using the Cox Babe Bee that came out of my crashed PT-19!)

Lessee'... over the course of a few years I had the following Cox RTR's:

Super Cub
Helldiver
PT-19
Skyraider

Reused the engine out of the crashed PT-19 to power the Beginners Ringmaster, and after I knew how to fly, bought and flew the Skyraider several times.

Fun thread.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here