News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 36X pressure  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
Fox 36X pressure
« on: October 16, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »
I have a Fox 36X that I want to mount into a Voodoo.  What type of tank is supposed to be used when running pressure from the crankcase pressure connection?  How is it plumbed?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox 36X pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
Back in the day I ran a metal tank.   The VooDoo plan showed how it is done.   Two lines going over and under the leading edge, not through it.  Don't ask me how I know as it was my first full crankcase pressure set up with the Fox Combat Special.  Had three and half ounce tank.  Pressure line was just barely in the top of the tank and pick up fuel line was in out board rear corner.   It was easy to pinch off the pressure line till engine fired.   

Now the alternative is to close off the pressure nipple and run one of the newer badder tanks in a tube mounted inside the wing.  Do a search and you may find some of the set ups.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Pressure line goes in the forward inboard top corner of the tank and stops right there so if you leave some air in the tank when filling you hopefully won't get fuel in the pressure line when starting.

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
What Doc and Motorman said. I believe RSM makes replicas of the T-21 Veco, and 3.5 to 4.5 oz tank will work if it will fit. I just unsoldered the top tube and made it only slightly penetrate into the top of the tank. That was the pressure tube. The overflow tube was plugged off onto a peg mounted on the motor mount. I also soldered a #6 washer around each tube as a doubler to prevent the solder joint from cracking...worked excellent. But, I'd also suggest a bladder tank. A lot of guys ran 8-8 props on those engines and broke parts. I think I'd try a 9-6 APC and run about 10%-15% nitro with a 25% oil blend.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

Use a normal 1" tall, 2" wide, by however long (4" or so before you hit the spar) tank.  Plumb it so the pick-up tube extends from the normal spot at the right rear of the tank to the front and should exit the bottom of the tank behind and below the leading edge.  As mentioned you don't want to compromise the integrity of the leading edge by drilling a hole or cutting a notch for the pick-up tube. The vent is 1/8" tube, and extends just inside the tank on the top.  The Voodoo magazine plans show the venting, and also suggest soldering closed the vent and drilling it to size.  Another suggestion I was given was to hold a scrap of .018" flying line over a fire until it was blackened with soot, then slip it through the vent or pressure tap and fill the void with solder, before pulling the cable back out.  But, I've had good results by just using the stock Fox backplate pressure taps, which have a very small hole from the factory.  To fill the tank, hold the plane nose down and fill until fuel streams out the venturi.  To start, I generally pinch off the pressure line until the engine fires, but I haven't had any trouble getting the engines started without pinching the line, so I'm not sure it's really necessary. 

I have one Voodoo setup with a hard tank as described and backplate pressure (it was miserable on suction) and another running a bladder in a plastic fluorescent light tube.  Both are otherwise setup similar, 9x6 APC prop, 10/25 all castor Sig fuel, 57' eyelet-eyelet lines, similar Fox 36X engines.  The needle bearing 36X on backplate pressure flies around 100mph, the ball bearing 36X on bladder goes a little faster, both are easy to deal with.  The only problem I've had so far was blowing a head gasket on the needle bearing engine.  The old combat planes come in handy when the wind doesn't stop blowing for a few weeks, at 100mph the plane couldn't care less about a 20mph wind.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
I had a G21-35 on a sport combat airplane.  I used crankcase pressure to a metal uniflow tank.  It worked fine, but I was just flying sport so no problems with flooding after a crash.  What people have been talking about is how it was done back in the day. 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »
Thanks.  I bought a 3 oz profile uniflow tank from Brodak, and have installed it.  Plan to run pressure from the Fox 36X.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
I hope you pressure tested it first.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
I ran them just as described above and it worked just fine. I squeezed the pressure line with my thumb until motor started.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
I finished the Voodoo.  It was partially built when I was back in high school.  I recently found it again, replaced some ribs and other missing parts, installed the control system, tank, covered it, and added the engine.  I still had the Fox .36X that was originally planned for this model.  Uses crankcase pressure to the tank.  Please see the photos.  Thanks

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »
Back then we would limit the pressure nipple, by holding a piece of .012" single strand over a match to give it a carbon coat. Then insert that into the pressure nipple and solder. Once the solder had set simply withdraw the wire and install the nipple into the motor.

Greg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here