News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: longest time without a first flight?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
longest time without a first flight?
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
Ok so I have a problem. I have just aquired a plane built by my dads brother when he was 15. An ares built circa 1959. Never flew he finished it and hung it on the wall until 2 week s ago when he gave it to me knowing I 'do that stuff..'

Now what would you all do? There is 50+ years of hanger rash and its not amazing.  Controls are suspect.. tank is rusted and there are holes and cracks everywhere. Do I restore it for just 1 flight or hang it up never to see the skies?

Its non comp spec so it doesnt interst me as ive got a nice ares already. Lots of work just for a sentimental flight.

Thoughts?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: longest time without a first flight?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
Leave it on the wall.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Wall! Not even close...  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
Good question.  You got me beat on the time span though, my plane is only about 21.  It is also the last CL plane I built before a 20 year break.  My plane is in near perfect condition though.

Dope cracks, the coverings burst... hanger rash and age are pretty destructive.  Having worked on a few planes in the 20+ year disused there is frequently more cosmetic failure than structural failure.  Yes, I get it.  One flight for nostalgic purposes is the whole point of the rebuild, and the design has little value as a different machine to fly to you.  If you take on the project do it right, otherwise put it on the wall.

Phil

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Fly it.

What good is it going to do on a wall?

It's going to need some serious attention I am sure, but it's a "flying" model. Not a hang on the wall to rot model. Once finished, have your Uncle come with you and spend some quality time together.

Up to you, but you only go around once.

Ron

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Make it look pretty and hang it up.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Make it look pretty and hang it up.

I agree with Lester! ;D

Online Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
Not much to add. It's a static display now.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
 Been there PJ, a few years ago with a really neat old Walt Pyron designed P-39 that I ended up with. Too many here forget, this stuff doesn't always have to be about competition.

The old P-39 was set up for a Fox .35, and I had a few good runners lying around. I spent just a few evenings patching up some holes and doing a little touch up painting. Then I dug out a trusty old .35 and put on some new fuel lines along with an old Top Flite prop and new spinner. I took it out one lazy sunny Sunday and put a few flights on it, it flew surprisingly well and I even ran it through a few maneuvers. I would have continued flying it more but it's just a little too old and brittle to last through it. It's been retired to the wall ever since, but I do have a nice little memory every time I look at it.

So PJ, fly that Ares, even if it's just once just to say you did. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »
I agree with Lester! ;D

WOW, a voice from the past!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 07:59:39 AM »
Its a stunt ship!  It deserves to go out in glory!!

Get it running good enough to fly.  Fire it up, take off, and then do an incomplete wing-over (if you get my drift.)  Think of it as Aero-Euthanasia.

Then put the video up on U-Tube for the rest of us to watch.  Solemnly, of course.   ;D

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
Leave it on the wall
If you have other planes to fly, I wouldn't take a chance. The glue is brittle, the wood is dry and brittle the dope is brittle. with the least amount of vibration the plane could possibly come apart in the air.

I have a Hemstraught/Midwest PT-19 with a Johnson .32 Stunt motor hanging in my spare bedroom that my father built in 1970.
I flew it a couple of times in the late 90's, but for sentimental reasons I decided it was better to keep it on the wall

Larry Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
The glue is dust.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
PJ: everyone's trying to pull you this way or that, so here's my two cents worth.  It's the same thing I tell people when they ask me what they "should" do with some old car project:

You didn't get the plane to feed your wife and kids, or to fund your retirement, or for any other recognized useful purpose.  You were given the plane for the enjoyment of the giver, and for your enjoyment.

So, since the purpose of acquiring the plane was for your enjoyment -- you should do what maximizes your enjoyment, and maybe your uncle's.  If he's just absolutely chuffed at the idea of seeing it fly, and if you're not attached to it, then explain the risks to him and if he still wants to see it fly -- fly it gently and once (or until it bursts in the air).  If you're happy with hanging it on the wall, or parting it out and using the engine in something else (don't you have a Nobler with a seriously oversized engine?), then do that.

I've seen too many people who get too much joy from sitting in their garage drinking beer and thinking about all the things they want to do with their half-completed hot-rod project to think less of anyone who stalls out on a project.  If that's what floats your boat, and if your dependents have food on the table and a roof over their head -- do it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
I agree with Tim. I bought a P-63 that was at the LHS on consignment. It had been hanging in a garage since it was built. The sellers father had built it. It took most of my "spare" time to repair it. I covered the wing in ultracote, redid hinges  and painted the fuse(originally clear dope only). Since my flying is VERY suspect, I had one of the local stunt retreads wring it out. Flies great, more capable than me. So now it sits in  my hanger, awaiting the day my flying catches up to it( hopefully next spring). Oh I did send a picture to the previous owner, to show what he passed up.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
See the jet on the Wall where it had hung since 1954 in a old photo hobby shop in Binghamton NY. It was  given to me in 2010 and I flew it in 2012. I did replace the tank and redid the elevator hinges. It is old time legal and I plan on building a new one soon.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »
PJ don't waste you time . Your talents are much to valuable . Spend your time on building and flying. Oh by the way. I was most impressed with you wife that I met at the USnats. You are one lucky guy. Bill Rutherford

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
PICS! WE NEED PICS!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
Pics of the wife or the plane?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
Might as well post both.

Phil

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
I got one like that once[Ringmaster Imperial], restored it on the outside, controls seemed okay....2 laps and BAM nothing left but splinters....B/C mounting was in the left wingtip. I was crushed! H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
I have flown lots of peoples' OP;s.....a few measure up. H^^ Often it depends on the genre and trim. Yes, I said genre....a Humungous ,a Nobler or clone, a "46" size model from that generation and variables, 60 sized models of the 650 to 700 + variants or ST 60 or piped 40 +...and in general  600 + over powered monsters of electronically or IC piped power. Flapped or unflapped. In some cases it doesnt matter. In most cases it IS the pilot/ performer under the conditions at hand.

Many of these perform pretty well over a variety of expectations. Some of these look spectacular going through the motions....at the end of the day..it is the judges who decide. I have options as I see it....and i can draw and design  "around" the intended power plant.Always did seem like a starting point.

Sorry...perhaps this missive belongs in another thread.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here