News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:44:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I tend to wander from center  (Read 2971 times)

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
I tend to wander from center
« on: October 11, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
When flying, I have to glance down once in a while to stay on center.   This is a distraction, since I have to fly high in order to look down.   Would it be helpful to install a smooth chest high pole to slide my left hand on and walk around when I fly, or would it be a distraction?  Has anyone tried it?   It could also double as a mower wrap/tether pole.  My circle only has 75.5 feet clear, and my longest lines are 64 feet.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I tend to wander from center
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
Get some white road marking paint and paint a pilot's circle in the grass.  If you have normal peripheral vision, you'll be able to see a six-foot circle without looking away from level flight.

I'm not sure what size the regulation pilot's circle is, but you could paint one of those.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
"3.1. A pilot’s circle shall be clearly marked. That circle shall have a minimum radius of three (3) feet but not larger than five (5) feet in radius."

So, 6' to 10' diameter is legit (for the mathematically challenged). There is no specific penalty for getting outside of the pilot's circle, but one can be DQ'd for flying in an un-safe manner.

I would add that some colors of paint may work better than white, depending on the current color of the grass. White works on green grass. On "summer tan" grass, black might be better. Since John has his own flying field, it might be good to concrete the center, or at least lay a 10' ring of bricks. Somebody (Tulsa?) bought a concrete septic tank lid to use, as I recall. You can also get concrete discs of various diameters for landscaping 'lawn steps'.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »
Back in my early days of flying in a city park I did not have a lot of room to move without hitting trees. I always carried a rag in my pocket to throw down in the center of the circle to keep me from wandering. Never had a problem with it.
Jim Kraft

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
 The problem should go away if you simply work on focusing and concentrating on what you're doing out there, just like the stooge line ordeal.

Cluttering the center of circle with more stuff is not the answer.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
I used the rag method until I got more into CLPA. I use orange marking paint and it seems to be very visible to me in most types of grass. I paint a solid center and a 5' diameter circle around it like a bullseye. Just be careful not to paint your shoe when the wind is blowing. Lol  Strangely, yellow works very poorly for me.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
I too wander flying on grass circles.  The new one especially as it is rough and I keep stepping in low spots.   Once the circle is located in a permanent location at the new field I plan on getting a solid center put down.   Flying in Topeka on their pave circle I had no problem staying in the middle.   I would move to the line for the pilot circle when I knew the engine was going to quit so Melvin wouldn't have to walk so far.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »
John I bought and dropped a pavestone marker on the new circle center.  This week I'll go dig it in flush to ground level if the rain ever stops.  We could do a ring of pavestones perhaps until we get around to pouring a concrete center.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »
I have a stone in the center I keep my left foot on.

MM

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
This works well:

Offline kiwibrit

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
I fly regularly at a rugby union football ground. I like to line up with goal posts in one direction and a row of floodlight poles 90° in the other direction. Helps keep me in position almost subconsciously.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »
It is a good idea to know where you are when flying.
My good friend Rich Giacobone has torn the outer wing off two different planes while flying in a 165' marked circle at Brodaks'......once on take off, another time on landing....
Situational awareness.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:43:21 AM »
 Would it be helpful to install a smooth chest high pole to slide my left hand on and walk around when I fly, or would it be a distraction?  Has anyone tried it?   
I have, John....and I can tell you I'm not one bit ashamed. And if the time comes that I'm in a wheelchair, and need someone to rotate me...I will still fly my planes. This pole I can move to my bigger field, the bases are set in concrete, right now it is in my side yard. The lines are 60' long.
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Advertise Here
Tags: Wander center 

Advertise Here