News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are you building these days?  (Read 20235 times)

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: What are you building these days?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
A 1968 el Camino SS 396
Body comes off the frame next week.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
Yes Charles, the bottom and top parts if nose are supposed to be planked with 1/4x1/8" balsa strips.
But I'm not going to do it like that, I don't like that method. Kits are full of shortcuts.

L

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
A 1968 el Camino SS 396
Body comes off the frame next week.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Oh so that is where you've been hiding all year huh?! Here we thought you had a pretty young......aw forget it.
Hope to see you next year at the field.

Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Yes Charles, the bottom and top parts if nose are supposed to be planked with 1/4x1/8" balsa strips.
But I'm not going to do it like that, I don't like that method. Kits are full of shortcuts.

L

Lauri,

Yes I agree. There are better and lighter ways.

Interesting none the less, hold old is the design or when were the plans first drawn?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »
Charles,

This is Kaz Minato's design, first time I saw the model maybe 3 years ago in a contest in France. And it seems that Kaz did quite well with it in the last US Nats, so the model cannot be very bad. But my main interest is to have a test bed for our engine, I want to test it in cylinder down position. And maybe experiment with Rabe Rudder, too.
Aerodynamically the Hellcat very close to Kaz's Blue Max design.
The kit is made by a friend in Brazil.

L

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
Gotta make a correction about the Galloping Comedian. It was published in the May 1952 Air Trails.

While Red's airplane had an aluminum cowl, the drawing shows an optional cowl made from balsa and plywood.

Ref. Wilks Plans
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
Lauri,

Thanks for that and the photo.

Looks like some time was spent on the design. Thick airfoil and blunt, good moments also.

I just finished working on moments on this new model I'm currently working on, a real killer.  LL~

Sans Rabe rudder, although I have read about it and seen photos.

Is your engine your own design? I have a feeling it may be.  H^^

Thanks again for the reply.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »
Bill,
I wrote a correction on that above. I talked to Walter about it.
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
I'm still in Klingon Cloaking Mode with my new 54" fun scale semi-scale stunter, but I can Blog.

The wing is framed except for landing gear blocks and some fine tuning with rib height. Might change the adjustable lead out and lesson the rear movement. Needs spar webbing also. Probably use 1/16" balsa for that.

Flaps are temporally in place and work smoothly. Single pushrod, no slop or play. Thanks for the advice on that single pushrod. All Robart hinges on this one with Tom Morris CF pushrods and HDWE.

Couple of changes to the fuselage, which BTW has true scale outlines. Originally set up for a Fox 35, now, as you know, the OS LA 46. Thanks for the recommendation on that also.

Increased the nose moment by an inch and added a couple of inches to the tail moment to arrive at scale outlines. Well, as long as the drawing I used is correct? Enlarged it in my drawing program.

Fuselage needs bottom sheeting, nose ring blocks, forward upper sheeting, and a tank hatch. Looks proportionate on the monitor in my drawing program. Actually stole the moment measurements from a famous model.

With the changes I can now fit a 5oz, uniflow tank, instead of the 4oz I originally had. That extra ounce will come in handy. Been reading about Tank vents, interesting Posts on that and good info.

Stab and elevator are complete except for hinging and covering. Split elevator on this model. Rudder is built and silk covered.

Flaps will undergo a bit more tapering. They will be put in place before I paint.

I might even try dope this time. Much of Robert's videos is sinking in.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
This spun aluminum cowl came from a hobby shop in 1949.  It sat in my junk box for a long time until I found a plane for it.  This is a Palmer "Venus".

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:17 AM »
 I'm building two Skyrays right now. One from the kit parts and one from traceing the kit parts. I haven't decided on how i'm going to finish either yet. I want to learn the beginner stunt pattern on these......Gene

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
I'm building two Skyrays right now. One from the kit parts and one from traceing the kit parts. I haven't decided on how i'm going to finish either yet. I want to learn the beginner stunt pattern on these......Gene

My suggestion is some sort of 'coat on the wings (and tail, if they're not glued on yet), and Minwax Polycrylic as a primer under Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel for the fuselage.  The Polycrylic will never be fuel proof, and the Rustoleum will only be fuel proof after a couple of weeks curing time -- but it's cheap, quick, and easy.  You can even paint Rustoleum trim onto 'coat, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner's plane -- just do the wings in one color, with AMA numbers big enough to count as "trim", also out of 'coat.  That way when you dork the plane and rebuild you won't have to spend forever repainting (and waiting for the paint to get fuel proof again).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
Am almost finished wth a "Naughty Lady" profile and just started a Palmer "Smoothie" for Old Time.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Day 19 of my Classic Continental

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:27:46 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Robert,

I tried to find the video where you did the gear blocks and arrangement on your Continental. I came up empty?

I did notice your blocks were a bit smaller than what I normally see?

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »

Thanks Tim for the input. I don't expect these two models to have a long life, so we'll see how I end up finishing them off. I'm leaning towards Monokote on the wings & paint on everything else. ( easy to repair & still look presentable) I'm looking at them as expendable tools  <=.....Gene

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
I appplied the first coat of clear ths morning, early. Now my eyes won't uncross. Those small checkers are hard to focus on.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

You're a heck of a modeler, Ty.  My eyes haven't recovered from a Flite Streak I covered in checkered silk in 1960.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »

Thanks Tim for the input. I don't expect these two models to have a long life, so we'll see how I end up finishing them off. I'm leaning towards Monokote on the wings & paint on everything else. ( easy to repair & still look presentable) I'm looking at them as expendable tools  <=.....Gene

In my view that's exactly what you should do.  Make them straight, solid & light, but don't bother with pretty (well, not too pretty).  Then fly em' like you stole em', and if there's anything left when you move up to better planes, hand them off to some kid or other aspiring beginner.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Dwayne

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
It's been awhile since I posted something. Trashed my good plane when I pancaked it on the bottom of the 4 leaf. Building a new one using some of what's left, the look is what I'm calling retro/mod, a moden Crossfire type nose with stab plates on the tail. I'm  really liking the look.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
I built this Gieseke Nobler in exactly 10 days from start to finish for VSC two years ago after crashing my then current Classic Dog!
Kote on wings and tail and Top Flite Rattle Can paint on Fuse.  Came out at 35 oz with a Aero Tiger 36.

Didn't look too bad actually.  I did cover the fuse with dope and silkspan before the paint!

Sure saves time if you need it and very light!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

John Leidle

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »
  That's a pretty one Randy.
  John L.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:15 AM »
Thanks John...
Unfortunately the ball links on the controls tightened up after about 50 flights and it's hanging on the wall waiting for surgery...don't know when I'll get around to it!
Too many other projects right now!

Randy C.
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

John Leidle

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 01:31:40 AM »
  Situation understood.

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 03:08:40 AM »
RSM Chipmunk, falling slightly behind Sparky, but, I'll catch him during painting.....maybe!
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 05:46:02 AM »
Thanks John...
Unfortunately the ball links on the controls tightened up after about 50 flights and it's hanging on the wall waiting for surgery...don't know when I'll get around to it!
Too many other projects right now!

Randy C.

Randy,

I've never seen anyone mention ball links tightening up at all? I know Tom Morris sells a ton of them.

Are you using Tom Morris ball links? Are you sure that's the issue?

I have Tom's ball links in everything.  n~

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:24 AM »
Work on the Impala is stopped. I had tried a variation on the primer coats and have paid a huge price. (I knew better too).  Every where that I moved tape to adjust the mask lines, he white came up. The airplane will have to be completely stripped and recovered. This project just went to the back of the list. Gotta hang it up for a while and get on to my major project. 
AMA 7544

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
Oh, to be able to continue with my new Hellcat and Shark, I must have some engines. So I made 2 cylinders. MB.77 Mk.3 has now new, improved scavenging!

Lauri

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Oh, to be able to continue with my new Hellcat and Shark, I must have some engines. So I made 2 cylinders. MB.77 Mk.3 has now new, improved scavenging!

Lauri

Oooh, eye candy of the highest order.  So, how do you get your CAD program to label dimension lines like that?
AMA 64232

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Only in my wet dreams can I use CAD.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
Only in my wet dreams can I use CAD.
Man, that's a clean bench.  I think I have more metalworking swarf on my woodworking bench than you have on there!
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »
Randy,

I've never seen anyone mention ball links tightening up at all? I know Tom Morris sells a ton of them.

Are you using Tom Morris ball links? Are you sure that's the issue?

I have Tom's ball links in everything.  n~

Charles,
I don't know if I got these particular ones from Tom Morris or from Central Hobbies...it really doesn't matter.  Several years ago ther was a rash of ball links that tightened up after assembly.  The general fix was to simply use som pliers to semi crush the outside of the plastic around the ball to permanently deform the housing and increase the clearance between the housing and the ball.  I suspect that thermal cycling is the major culprit because Tucson modelers are very familiar with this calamity.
Sitting in the back of a car or van here in the summer time temperatures can easily reach 175+ degree in the day time and 40 degrees at night...same in a garage or shop.  There are a number of folks here that simply wont use ball links anymore because of this.
I did the clearance increase thing on these before I assembled them but at VSC two years ago we had a particularly cold morning and they became so tight and draggy that it was nearly impossible to fly the airplane.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure this is the problem.  I assure you it's not an isolated case.  Not even for me!!!

As you could see John wasn't surprised by the situation.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

John Leidle

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
   Robert,  I don't remember what power is going into your Continental.
  John L.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
   Robert,  I don't remember what power is going into your Continental.
  John L.

This plane is period correct with a ST.46
AMA 12366

John Leidle

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
 Sounds fun, I will start mine in late July when I get home from Muncie.  I have a Stalker .51 for mine.
  John

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
What are you building these days?
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
Putting the finishing touches on my Green Box Nobler.
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »
A little farther

AMA 12366

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
451 days and counting..... ;D

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
   Since we're talking Galloping Comedians, here's mine.

I built this from the original plans for Brodak's in 2010.
It's a wonderful flying airplane. I would encourage anyone
who wanted  to build one. I love mine!
There are some problems however.
   When Red Reinhardt designed the Comedian he was
just 16 or so, and back then he didn't have 60 years
of other designs to learn from. The story is that the wing
folded up at the "52 Plymouth Internats. That's easy to
work around but the big problem is building the fuselage.

Red's design doesn't show any stringers between the
octagonally shaped bulkheads and that means gluing the 1/16"
sides together in mid air. Getting it aligned would be a nightmare.
   How I did it was by plotting the bulkheads in CAD, lining up
notches for stringers then printing out the results and cutting
them on my little bandsaw. See the photo.
   How Dan Banjock solved the problem  was by joining much
thicker material (1/2 inch ?) in the required octagon and sanding
it round.
I didn't see Dan's until after mine was flying, and his really looks
great.
I'll send anyone a PDF of the bulkheads with the  notches if
they send me a message.

It isn't necessary to learn to spin cowlings like Dan Banjock.
I cut mine out of a roof vent that came from Lowe's.
I buffed it first before I cut and sanded the edges.
Piece of cake. <=
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:13:36 PM by goozgog »
Keith Morgan

Offline Steve Riebe

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
#1  Finishing a Brodak Nobler kit. Framed the wing over the last several days.  LA 40 power
#2  A rebuild and recover of a Nobler that lawn darted this past season LA 40 power
#3  An Allen Brickhaus Fanfare, should be in time for the beginner event at the NATS. Haven't decided what engine yet
#4  Maybe a scratch built Cardinal. I have a rib set and most of the balsa

I hope my builds come out nearly (or even half) as good as the beautiful planes I've seen posted here. You guys are a tough act to follow

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
451 days and counting..... ;D

Scott,

Interesting model. Nice building.  H^^

Warbird?

Will you have enough rear adjustment with your leadouts?

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
hmmm.....wonder what this does....
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
hmmm.....wonder what this does....
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/motors/hkiii-40/hkiii-4025/HKIII_4025_1100/

The numbers are big enough that I am finding them abstract and meaningless.

Phil

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
Scott,

Interesting model. Nice building.

Warbird?

Will you have enough rear adjustment with your leadouts?

Aviojet:

Thanks, it's based on a Cardinal Profile 40 wing with EVO 40 moments and etc. but modified, of course, to my liking.

By the shape of the rudder and stinger tail it is a tribute plane honoring the I-beamers of old (and hopefully not too disconcerting that it doesn't use an I-beam wing, my apologies for that.)

The issue for many stunt ships is not having sufficient forward adjustment.  Our new guys always have a hard time "getting" the "move your lines forward to increase your line tension" idea.

Here's the cowl...

Scott

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »
Aviojet:

Thanks, it's based on a Cardinal Profile 40 wing with EVO 40 moments and etc. but modified, of course, to my liking.

By the shape of the rudder and stinger tail it is a tribute plane honoring the I-beamers of old (and hopefully not too disconcerting that it doesn't use an I-beam wing, my apologies for that.)

The issue for many stunt ships is not having sufficient forward adjustment.  Our new guys always have a hard time "getting" the "move your lines forward to increase your line tension" idea.

Here's the cowl...

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the reply and that extra photo, really nice work.

I've been paying more attention, recently, to the placement AND the length of the leadout slot.

I see you have your bellcrank on the CG, just a guess, or really close.

Your forward leadout has no issues with the verticle material at the spar area?

So you feel as thought that forward leadout won't have to be placed behind the CG? Or there about? That material would be in the way, if so.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2014, 03:09:40 PM »

I recently blew the dust off of this project and am back on it...again. ;D

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,31272.0.html
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
 y1 y1 y1 y1
December in Jacksonville, FL. Just a little late in this response but, the new SV-11 is almost ready to put the top & bottom shell on. (see photo)
Going to try auto paint on this one.
Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas & a Happy & safe New Year. #^ #^ #^ #^
Gene
  H^^ H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
Hi Gene,

You always do beautiful work.  This one should be another beauty!  What power train?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Well, since my son, Aaron, also shares my shop things are all about!  Aaron has a Rapier and a Trophy Trainer underway.  There is an ARC Strega here plus some play about profiles like a CG Cosmic Wind, and some 1/2As.  There is also my Grandson Gabe's trainer the Sure Thing powered by an OS .15LA.  Several sheeted foam wings and a couple of "Lost Foam" wings.  We have plenty going on! LOL!!  I am beginning a F&B plans built Viking for Super Cyclone spark power.  If I cannot place at our contests I might as well have something odd! LOL!!  I will probably only fly OTS this coming season, and all with Spark Ignition!  ;D  We will try to work on Aaron I hope.

It should all be fun, though!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »
Bill:
PA-75.  13.5X4.2 3 Blade. S?P S?P
Gene

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
Lookin good Gene!  For me about to put color on these two Desperados then start my Veco Hurricane for classic.  Working on a Sig Acromaster for the grandson for Xmas and still grooming the new flying site.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here