News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are you building these days?  (Read 20232 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What are you building these days?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
It's raining outside, so it must be building season.  I have nothing to contribute (unless you want to see experimental electronics laid out on a control line plane).

So, someone post pictures of your latest build?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:34:00 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Mike Griffin

Re: Build Threads?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:30:36 AM »
In New Orleans where I live and in the Deep South in general, our building season for the most part is in the Summer.  The heat and oppressive humidity keeps most of us seasoned citizens indoors under the air conditioning at the work bench.  We fly more in the winter here because of much more comfortable temperatures.  When it is 98 degrees outside here and the humidity is the same, it is no fun to be outdoors for any length of time.

I don't have anything on the bench to show Tim.  I have about three I need to put the final touches on.

Mike

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
Tim, I've got one started in the Classic Planes section, but its going kinda slow. It's still pretty warm here so the shop isn't comfortable till late at night.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
My new build, which I'm trying to decide on an engine for, is in Klingon Cloaking mode.

No photos till it's done, as some modelers do, so I thought I'd try it. Good discipline.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
I'm building a new Impact. It may end up a profile. It's not my best work so far. I'm thinking it will become a test bed airplane.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
I'm building a new Impact. It may end up a profile. It's not my best work so far. I'm thinking it will become a test bed airplane.

Powered by Zeus, rather than Prometheus?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
To be honest, I was thinking of putting servos in it. At the rate it's going it won't be a contest worthy airplane. If I do try servos, it will obviously be a personal experiment to learn from. 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Building a Blackhawk models mongoose for racing. Should have first color if paint on it today. May start my Super Clown build next week.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
I'm cleaning up messes and completing some repair projects. Once that's done, I plan to start a new dog.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »

Building season is just around the corner up here. I've got a couple of projects pretty much staged and ready to go, along with finishing one that's already over half done, and drawing up some ideas for another and, and... ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Here's my latest  .15 Carrier plan e and since yesterday was so beautiful here in Eastern WA I got to fly a NW .40 Sport Carrier profile for the first time.  The .15 has yet to be flown. The blue profile has 2.4 throttle and needs only a bit of tweaking to get ready. For the first time this year my wife Ginny was able to launce for me. A GREAT DAY all around!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
This is two planes and one engine.  Putting finishing touches on them and still have to get the wheels.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
That top one looks familiar!
AMA 64232

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
That top one looks familiar!

Whoah, that looks like a handful! y1 
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »
That is my Ringmaster version of the canard that Richard Sarpolous designed and published.   Once trimmed and gotten used to flies better than I do.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
At school I'm working on a Staris that I'll be powering with a PA 51. I have a build thread going for it but I haven't updated it lately. I've got most of the major components framed up, just need to work on it when I can.

During winter break back at home, I'll be doing some touch ups to my Thundergazer where fuel has started to eat at the finish in the cowl area. I'm also going to be putting together an Extremeflight 91" Yak 54 for RC.
Matt Colan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
At school I'm working on a Staris that I'll be powering with a PA 51. I have a build thread going for it but I haven't updated it lately. I've got most of the major components framed up, just need to work on it when I can.

Every time I see a picture from that project, it's on a different table.
AMA 64232

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
Every time I see a picture from that project, it's on a different table.

I'm building the wing on the kitchen table because the garage has been taken up with a project my roommate has been working on for a while. I also wanted to build the wing on the kitchen table so that it would be in a more stable environment.  I began building the plane in my dorm last semester and would take over student lounges and work until 12 or 1am in there with my current roommate.
Matt Colan

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Chief, you is da man!!!  I like it.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
I appplied the first coat of clear ths morning, early. Now my eyes won't uncross. Those small checkers are hard to focus on.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Was it from peering at the checkers, or sniffing all the dope up close?
AMA 64232

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Hi.

I am slowly starting with my Hellcat kit. It has a fuselage is big enough to hide my engine! L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »
Hi.

I am slowly starting with my Hellcat kit. It has a fuselage is big enough to hide my engine! L

Lauri,

The Hellcat is a great aircraft to model. I may be wrong, but I believe the Blue Angels used the Hellcat as their first aircraft.

Interesting engine, looks brand new.

Quick question. I see your plans, or at least the nose area of them. What are all those solid horizontal lines I see? Wood separations?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:12:51 AM by Avaiojet »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
Had to go look and yes the Original Blue Angels flew the F6F Hellcat.   Type in Blue Angels History on your browser and learn a lot about the team. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »
I have a lot going. Probably too much.

1) The "Impala" is now in white base coat. The plan is for a main color of tan, with white, brown and gold trim.

2) I am considering refinishing the "Galloping Comedian" that I built for the 25th anniversary of OTS in 1995. The airplane is now in sad shape with tares in the plyspan, a broken rudder and a broken stab. The finish has also yellowed considerably. It will have to be entirely stripped and will need either a new cowl or repairs made to the original cowl. Part of any decision will be the condition of the leadouts that will be seen after the old covering is removed.

Should I go ahead with this?????

3) I have started a never seen Navy Jet for Pampa Expert. It has molded fuselage, and will be electric with retracts.
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
Tom,

I'll take this model. It's a beauty!

Maybe we live close? Figure something out.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
Charles,
Not for sale. It is part of OTS history.

The question is whether or not I should go through redoing it.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »
I've given up posting in process builds. Seems something always gets in the way and the project stalls. IF I get anything built this year, I'll post when done. In the mean time, I like seeing what you guys are doing.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
I've given up posting in process builds. Seems something always gets in the way and the project stalls. IF I get anything built this year, I'll post when done. In the mean time, I like seeing what you guys are doing.

Randy,

I'm doing the same thing with my new build.

Taking photos setting them up and Posting them in a build takes a bit of time. Time that can be used for building.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Charles,
Not for sale. It is part of OTS history.

The question is whether or not I should go through redoing it.

Ty,

Absolutely!! Free graphics or paint masks if you do!

I would like plans.

That model reminds me of the Golden Age Racers. In fact, I just finished designing and drawing the parts for

The Mystery Ship. 52" in span. I'll start it when I finish the one I'm currently working on.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Whacha Building? (was: Build Threads?)
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »

Part of the reason I post build threads is because it keeps me going -- all the folks looking over my shoulder impel me into the shop to get work done.
AMA 64232

Jim Roselle

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
Ty,

Absolutely!! Free graphics or paint masks if you do!

I would like plans.

That model reminds me of the Golden Age Racers. In fact, I just finished designing and drawing the parts for

The Mystery Ship. 52" in span. I'll start it when I finish the one I'm currently working on.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1835

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for that.

Looks like a spun aluminum cowling.

Was it ever kitted?

Great looking model!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
Someone -- I think it was Berkley -- sold kits with stamped aluminum cowls.  When I was growing up you could get them from Sig.

I'm not sure why they weren't spun -- I've seen one and the stamping is pretty crude.  Someone who felt motivated to branch out into metalwork could probably spin up some pretty nice cowls.
AMA 64232

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
   ...Perhaps...The "One and Only"...DAN BANJOCK!
AMA 11416

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
   ...Perhaps...The "One and Only"...DAN BANJOCK!

And that airplane is a piece of ART!
AMA 12366

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
Charles,
I think that you were answering me, not Ty.

Ty is correct in that it doesn't take much time to post a picture or two. I think it is interesting to see what is being worked on, even if it is over a long time. Sparky is only one I know who spits out stunters in his sleep.

Wilks plans has a copy of the original "Galloping Comedian" Model Airplane News article.

Yes, the original cowl was spun aluminum. Mine was made of balsa. If I can't repair the cowl, I might make a new cowl of either fiberglass or carbon fiber. If I decide to rebuild the airplane I will probably change the to colors to red, black and silver and add Waco wheel pants. I have my own vinyl cutter and do graphics for myself and others.

Tim, The "Whatcha building" change didn't take.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:01:34 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
Yes, Dan's "Comedian" is a work of art.

Dan spun the cowl himself. Red's original was spun by Bob Hunt's father.

The "Galloping Comedian" is one of the very good flying OTS airplanes and is well worth the little extra work to build the fuselage. . And is a great departure from the Humungous and the Jamison Special which have taken over many recent OTS contests
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
I wonder how many cowlings Dan made?  ;D

Be nice to have the look of the original aluminum.

That cowling looks polished.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
The July/August Stunt News has a great flying shot of Dan's Comedian on the cover.
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What are you building these days?
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
Look what I found in my archives. I have no idea where I got it? And what a great photo!

I knew that model looked farmiliar. Aluminum wheel pants! Aluminum prop! I didn't notice that in the other photo.

Did they come with the kit?

You won't spin those.

On my bucket list for sure!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
I got some paint on the pair of flite streaks I started a year ago.  I had to open the wing and adjust the controls since it has been pointed out more than a few times a slow bellcrank is better.  They both got Pactra aerogloss blue and Midwest aerogloss clear.

I benched the iron lunged FP20 that I scored the proper muffler for.  Wow that is a nice running engine.

Maybe by spring...

Phil

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »

Next up - Pathfinder Twin

Ara

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
As usual I have at least half a dozen things working.  Maybe I'm ADD after all.  I'm busy finishing my Collussus...masking now!
But of course I just had to start several other things at the same time...I love framing up airplanes.

Pictures below of the latest projects in addition to the other 4 ready to cover and paint!

First three pictures are a Trivial Pursuit in process, ROJett 76.  Next three are my Electric Bear II.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »
Randy,
You have been busy!

Charles,
The "Galloping Comedian" was never a kit. Dan's cowl and aluminum wheel pants are all done by him. He is a very talented craftsman, and a wonderful nut too. He has more fun than anyone else that I know.

I didn't mention that I am making the finishing touches on the Guillows III trainer and hope to have my cardiologist flying it this weekend at the Gleason's fish-fly.

I also have a realistic looking bipe on the drawing board that will do it all!

AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »

I love bi-planes, I had many in R/C. The Wayfarer was my favorite.

Can you send me a peek?

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
This is a photo of day 14 and the entire build can be seen by VIP member at www.clcraftsman.com

As a subscriber you can see some video and receive tips in News letters. As a VIP full acess to hours of videos not seen anywhere else.
AMA 12366

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
Randy,
You have been busy!

Charles,
The "Galloping Comedian" was never a kit. Dan's cowl and aluminum wheel pants are all done by him. He is a very talented craftsman, and a wonderful nut too. He has more fun than anyone else that I know.

I didn't mention that I am making the finishing touches on the Guillows III trainer and hope to have my cardiologist flying it this weekend at the Gleason's fish-fly.

I am not qualified to correct Tom, BUT, the Galloping Comedian was kitted by Walter Umland.

Roger Vizioli
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
Roger,
Thanks, I didn't know that.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »
I just talked to my old friend Walter. He did kit the Comedian. It would take a special order now though.
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
Hi.

Lauri,

I'm still interested in these solid lines on your plans?

Planking? The designer chose planking?

Be nice to know one way or another.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here