News:

• April 24, 2024, 12:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Urethane basecoat vs Acrylic Lacquer  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Bill Burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Urethane basecoat vs Acrylic Lacquer
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
I am trying to decide whether to use Urethane basecoat color or Acrylic Lacquer color on my next stunt ship.  What have you guys found to be the best in application, appearance and weight.

Thank you
Bill

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Urethane basecoat vs Acrylic Lacquer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:32:50 AM »
Bill,

What "acrylic lacquer" product would you be using?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
I've used both.  The lacquer was PPG Duracryl.  The polyurethane basecoat was Deltron 2000 DBC, used under the tutelage of Mark Scarborough.  Both cover nicely.  White and yellow lacquer can cover in one (1) coat if you know what you're doing.  It took me two coats.   The lacquer with DCA 468 lacquer clearcoat got both me and Bob Parker, who taught me how to use it, on the front row of the Nats.  I think it's nicer to use than dope, but it's not at all fuel proof.  Also, it's getting hard to find.  I had to scrounge all over town to get all the colors for the last plane on which I used it.  I made two planes with the PPG lacquer basecoat and PPG D893 catalyzed clear Isocyanate Death Paint, recommended by PT Granderson.  Darker colors couldn't be left in the sun, because the paint would get lumpy, presumably because lacquer solvents wanted out and couldn't get though the clearcoat.  This was a bit of a nuisance. because it needed to be continually sanded and buffed, but still got on the Nats front row.  I used the polyurethane basecoat on my current dog, with the PPG D893 clear.  This worked great.  One peculiarity of the Deltron basecoat is that the instructions say to put the clearcoat on within 24 hours of tooting the basecoat.  It took me four days, but it worked OK.  Mark put all the paint on his new Impact profile in 12 hours: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,34731.msg373144.html#msg373144 .    I don't have the weights handy, but I sorta remember the urethane as being heavier.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Burton

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Thank you Howard for the information.  I appreciate you taking the time to post that.  Avaiojet, I have not gotten far enough with researching to consider a brnd yet.

Thanks
BB
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:30:04 AM by Bill Burton »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »
My experience with urethane base coats is that they are really ,really light and tend to be somewhat unstable. Just about anything will wipe them off. But once the clear coat is one, they are great. Be careful with taping over a base color.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

John Leidle

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:35:24 AM »
  Randy,   once you shoot the basecoat they make an "Intercoat" clear you can shoot over the color. I resists pulling up with tape  then after all trim is on   shoot the 2 part clear.. fool proof . To me lacquer & dope are similar. The Urethane can get heavy but so can dope...  ask my how I know this.
   John

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »
John,

Yea, but I've never used is because it's just more paint. You can tape directly over the basecoat but you do have to be careful and be sure to use tape that doesn't leave anything behind as you can't wipe it off.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »
I've used both.  The lacquer was PPG Duracryl.  The polyurethane basecoat was Deltron 2000 DBC, used under the tutelage of Mark Scarborough.  Both cover nicely.  White and yellow lacquer can cover in one (1) coat if you know what you're doing.  It took me two coats.   The lacquer with DCA 468 lacquer clearcoat got both me and Bob Parker, who taught me how to use it, on the front row of the Nats.  I think it's nicer to use than dope, but it's not at all fuel proof.  Also, it's getting hard to find.  I had to scrounge all over town to get all the colors for the last plane on which I used it.  I made two planes with the PPG lacquer basecoat and PPG D893 catalyzed clear Isocyanate Death Paint, recommended by PT Granderson.  Darker colors couldn't be left in the sun, because the paint would get lumpy, presumably because lacquer solvents wanted out and couldn't get though the clearcoat.  This was a bit of a nuisance. because it needed to be continually sanded and buffed, but still got on the Nats front row.  I used the polyurethane basecoat on my current dog, with the PPG D893 clear.  This worked great.  One peculiarity of the Deltron basecoat is that the instructions say to put the clearcoat on within 24 hours of tooting the basecoat.  It took me four days, but it worked OK.  Mark put all the paint on his new Impact profile in 12 hours: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,34731.msg373144.html#msg373144 .    I don't have the weights handy, but I sorta remember the urethane as being heavier.

Just imagine if you put wheel pants on your planes, you might get 21 points.

Derek

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
Just imagine if you put wheel pants on your planes, you might get 21 points.

Derek

Don't rock the boat dude, not now that I have gotten used to the Howard no wheelpants look on my Dreadnought.
Steve

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
Don't listen to Derek.
It's just one of his rants.
My finest maneuvers
Are done without pants.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »
Don't rock the boat dude, not now that I have gotten used to the Howard no wheelpants look on my Dreadnought.

See what you have done Howard!

Derek

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
Ironically, Mark spent a lot of time advising me on how to paint the silicone-contaminated carbon wheel pants that I never got around to installing. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
Howard,
you never told me,, or I dont remember,,
were you able to get them painted eventually?
by the way,, the new Plane looks very nice,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here