News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ever Done Something Stupid?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
Ever Done Something Stupid?
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »
Did ya? I started out thinking this was looking pretty good then I ironed on the "Circus Queen"  I cut out of monocoat. And it looks like crap. :-\
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: Ever Done Something Stupid?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
Ya win some, ya lose some.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
It looks WAY better than most of my learning efforts.  If it flies well it is a success. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
This is the primary reason I stick with simple color schemes. Usually fuselage and tail one color, and wing covering another color, sometimes both the same color, like my Fronkensteen 4.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
Trim quality looks good. I would be more concerned with owning a plane that has pink trim, balloons and sports the word "Queen"

Just sayin... ;)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
Look at it this way... If you wad it up, your grieving will be measured in seconds, not days.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
Looks a little effeminate ... I have had what I thought were great concepts go bad when finished .... We all have.

Joe Daly

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
We had the circus prince and the circus king, this is a 48" W/S copy of the prince. Denny Adamisin made the suggestion it might ought to be the Circus Queen. I was all set to put lions on the wings and was having trouble finding any. So Circus Queen it wound up. Gonna fly it and see....if I wreck it....I will no doubt start over with something like camoflage! D>K

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »
Looks a little effeminate ... I have had what I thought were great concepts go bad when finished .... We all have.

I have 2 daughters that fly these things, one is 39 and the other is 14....there's only one me in my house, so most of the time I get over-ruled. :P

Offline john gunn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
I had the same problem, not an artist myself, but I found the next best thing.  A   company named  Fast Signs, I took my plane to them and  told them what I wanted . The artist displayed what I wanted on the computer.  The color was perfect, graphics were very good.  They had to order one color, basic charge was 25 dollars.  They even placed the graphics on the plane for no extra charge.

I think this is nation wide, check for them in your area.  Local contact485@fastsigns.com

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
I had the same problem, not an artist myself, but I found the next best thing.  A   company named  Fast Signs, I took my plane to them and  told them what I wanted . The artist displayed what I wanted on the computer.  The color was perfect, graphics were very good.  They had to order one color, basic charge was 25 dollars.  They even placed the graphics on the plane for no extra charge.

I think this is nation wide, check for them in your area.  Local contact485@fastsigns.com
I may do that next time. I've got about enough wood left to scratch build a Circus King, just need a clean plan blown up to Something around 50" W/S.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
R%%%%

Homo-phobic?

I don't even know how to answer that. I was just poking fun at John.  I would fly the plane myself.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
I don't even know how to answer that. I was just poking fun at John.  I would fly the plane myself.
Hey, no worries....if I didn't have pretty thick skin...I wouldn't be here! I'll try to get a better picture so everyone will see the "pink" is actually red! Everything you see is cut out of monokote. No Paint except the firewalls and faux-rudder underneath. LL~

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
Yes . . . and it had nothing to do with model airplanes.   HB~>
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
Years back, I set my new airplane down on the ground and my Zippo lighter fell out of my shirt pocket and went right through the wing. HB~>
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
If you have not done something stupid or have never made a mistake......you are lying!

I hate iron-on $cote type coverings.

As to graphics, I worked with a sign guy in N.J. that loved to do different things. So I was using vinyl masks 30 years ago when most people knew nothing about them. When I moved to Texas I had a local sign shop do some simple numbers and she was a pain in the neck and didn't want to be bothered again.

I then went to Fast Signs to have my AMA number only... four digits....7544.....2" high.  They told me that their minimum charge is $50 and this is required by Fast Signs corporate.

So... I purchased a vinyl cutter and now do stick on and spay masks for myself and others. There quite a few  planes throughout the country with  graphics that I did.

Another great source is Charles (aviojet) who has helped many.
AMA 7544

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »

Going back to the original question,"have you ever done something stupid", my answer is "not yet" , but the day is still young!!         ??? ::)
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

.....//Another great source is Charles (aviojet) who has helped many.
Yes, and I originally had him asking me what I'd be happy with, color, font, size...things like that. But I figured I aggravated him by my ticky specific demands....but yesterday he re-iterated that he had something better. We'll see. Meanwhile I swapped engines for an LA .46, and if it runs ok, I'll test fly it. It's an R/C engine with a carb, so it may work out and it may not. ::)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Stupid? How about accidentally grabbing the can of Clear Klass Kote instead of hardener? Our group is still in awe regarding the incredibly glossy finish! Of course you dared not actually touch it....  HB~> :X :'(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:28:54 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
If you don't like the film trim, can't you just remove it? 

As for "doing something stupid"...yes, but I wasn't quite 22 years old when I got married. D>K Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
If you don't like the film trim, can't you just remove it? 

As for "doing something stupid"...yes, but I wasn't quite 22 years old when I got married. D>K Steve

Yes, and you could also remove the marriage, but I don't advise it. It might get costly. LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 05:09:52 AM »
Was wondering why my motor  would not run on the test stand.   The reason was I did not install the backplate on the motor.

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
Oh, just this last Tuesday morning. I was out flying and had just started the engine on my "Vector". I reached around to diconnect the starter battery like we all have done thousands of times. My fourth flight of the morning and my last for about 3 weeks. I left my left halh of thumb nail God knows where, and after 5 hours in the emergency room the tip was sewn back on and the tip of the bone in that finger is mending.

Stupid because I fly off of a stooge here and know to go behind the airplane to disconect the starter battery but instead reached around the prop-Not!!

Don

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
Did I!  Set up the stooge, shoved the line ends under my homemade stooge and unrolled them and the stooge line to the center of the circle.  Connect the flying handle, connect the battery, flip the engine, run to the center, grab the handle, pull the stooge cord and watched my latest creation fly off with no lines attached.  Needed a little wing weight on the inboard side but it darn sure flew nice.  Made a pretty big circle to the right, went over my head about 20 feet up. Landed about 60 feet up a pine tree.  Stood there with the handle in my hand feeling like the King of Duh!  Never told that story before. In my defense I was about 14 years old but I still see traces of that kid from time to time.  The older I get the more I see of the little brat.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
How about this one?  While usually a very poor finisher, I did take some great effort to get my AMA # just right. At that time I had a 5 digit number. I masked it off and then painted it. What came out just great! The only problem was wrong. I painted my old Zip code on the wing instead of my AMA #!
The above only one of 567,453 Stupid Things I have done in modeling.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
Ever Done Something Stupid?  several times today.

At our club contest, slammed the van door on my airplane and crushed it.  Crashed the other one.   Does that count?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
When I posted this thread, I figured I'd take a lot of grief for my troubles....it never occurred to me that I'd get so many good laughs..... LL~ LL~ LL~ ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
For me, I don't think I have a day go by I don't do something stupid.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Richard Davis

• AV8TR1
  • New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
YES I DID
Did not write down contact information on a kit I wanted  and my computer crashed and I lost it.
Now I write it down.

George Hostler

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
The older I get the easier it gets to do stupid things. I plan on something one day, and forget it the next. It is just a part of life these days.  n~

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:52 AM »
I know just how you guys feel.........I was almost not perfect myself!  #^

Keith R
Keith R

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
See my new thread on stooge line wrapped around ankles.  Also, about 15 years ago,  a flameout occurred at the top, and I became entangled in the lines with left hand and tried to save the plane.  The engine caught again, for some unknown reason, and a trip to ER ensued due to badly cut pinky.   I now wear a glove on my left hand every flight.  The plane was healed quicker than my finger, which is still somewhat numb and scarred.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:15:57 PM by John Fitzgerald »

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
Did ya? I started out thinking this was looking pretty good then I ironed on the "Circus Queen"  I cut out of monocoat. And it looks like crap. :-\
Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing  ??? but the "ol' girl" looks pretty good to me!  :) Heck is ain't s'pose ta' win the Miss America Pageant is it??  Bet your daughter like it ....  :!  'specially if you take a magic marker and sign it "To Iris from Justin Bieber"!!  Jus' don't ever tell'er you signed it!!  r.o.t.f.l.m.b.o.!!!   ;D

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
uuuhhhhhh....Well probably about 10 X 10 to the 40th place.  But I'm getting better only 6 times yesterday and only twice today...of course it's early!

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
Yes, see my post in Prop Went Bye Bye.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing  ??? but the "ol' girl" looks pretty good to me!  :) Heck is ain't s'pose ta' win the Miss America Pageant is it??  Bet your daughter like it ....  :!  'specially if you take a magic marker and sign it "To Iris from Justin Bieber"!!  Jus' don't ever tell'er you signed it!!  r.o.t.f.l.m.b.o.!!!   ;D
Yeah, she has an eye for that one....she'll get her picks one day! LOL Oh...and she shies away from the Beiber!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
Well John S., has the plane been in the air yet.   It may be the best flying plane in the stable.   Especially if the young lady gets a hold on it and flies it. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 05:46:50 AM »
Well John S., has the plane been in the air yet.   It may be the best flying plane in the stable.   Especially if the young lady gets a hold on it and flies it. 
Been raining and windy since the flyathon, Doc. I made a rule not to do maiden flights on windy days. Once I get her trimmed out right, the breezy days won't be a problem. Iris has had the "wind discouragement" syndrome after crashing her Estes Stuntin .19 on a windy day! I'll get her out there soon, and see if she's game to fly the "Queen"....I swapped the Enya out for an OS LA .46...we'll see how that works out during the trimming process. H^^

Mike Griffin

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Well, let's see......I built a wing, installed a bell rank and sheeted right over it without putting in the pushrods.  John, I did the same thing once with the stooge line.  I was hopping around like a Penguin on crack. 

I had a shelf on the wall right above my workbench (bad idea) and had a wing almost finished, reached up to get something and knocked off a full bottle of alcohol and guess where it hit?  Right square on the ribs crushing a few of them. 

My wife thought my hobby was called "AW S#^T"

Mike

Offline john gunn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »
Ty, that is a great story

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
I employ and work with 4 women plus my wife everything i do is stupid ask them they will tell you.
Brad smith AMA780054

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here