News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying again  (Read 1251 times)

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Flying again
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
After a two year hiatus due to lack of a good place to fly, I have been flying again this summer.
We bought a new place last fall at the edge of town with acreage, and I have been developing a new circle behind the house in part of a hayfield that runs east-west.   It allows for 70 foot lines, with a little leeway.   It's not perfect by any means.  It is still a little rough, and about two feet higher in elevation on the north side.  It seems to get a little smoother every time I mow.  There is a small creek with treeline about 30 feet tall along the south side and big trees border the NW side.   I have been mostly flying my beater plane due to the ground conditions.   There is sometimes a lot of turbulence.  Any suggestions for smoothing that do not involve tearing up the turf?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Re: Flying again
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
John,

Google 'Geotextile RC runway'.  Many RC clubs are using Geotextile fabric to make runways.  I helped my local RC club put one down last year.  Very simple to install and reasonably priced.  It has worked out well all the members are very happy with it.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
Well,

The elevation issue will have to stay unless you plan on moving dirt. To do that properly you would need a survey. So I would suggest dragging it then rolling it flat. Just an old tractor and some implements is all you would need.

Ron

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
Just keep mowing it real short and little things will grow in between the big things and it will even out eventually.

MM

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Welcome back John.  I know it's a long drive, but the Memphis Stunt Classic is next weekend.  WE would love to have you come over and fly.

Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Advertise Here

Advertise Here