News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: treetown 1/2a scale  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
treetown 1/2a scale
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
My entry at this years 1/2a profile scale event.
WenMac powered.
Getting them to quit at the same time was not done in the first attempt.
Fred did a fine job too but the first flight was a riot.

It got better with work.
I got first.
Fred got second.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:50:25 PM by Bill Smith »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: treetown 1/2a scale
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:10:18 AM »
You should get a prize for getting even one WenMac to run, let alone two.  Lucky you have a nice big smooth pad to fly and run around on.

Is that a Black Hawk Model?
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »
scratch built. and Fred was running WenMacs also.
it was kind of a challenge between the two of us.
they really don't run to bad. but they are not balanced well and with two of them the harmonics led to a foaming problem that made getting a good needle a hassle

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
Where the heck is "treetown"?  ???
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
Maybe WenMacs aren't all bad.  But back in the day kids who broke their plastic toys and then build Scientific hollow logs had a lot better results with Babe Bees.

However, my next door neighbor who was a boy genius and always number one in his class was able to get a WenMac to run.  He designed and built his own CL model and could start the WenMac and fly around level any time he wanted.  Maybe it was quality control thing and he won the lottery.
Paul Smith

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
Here are Bill's winning flight at our 1/2A contest and my final attempt (I had problems initially getting the engines tuned).  Bill is running Wen Mac MkII engines and I am using the later 'Hot Shot' variants.  Both our planes were scratch built basically from 3-view drawings.  I was unable to get the required 10 laps with the existing tanks (I have since built larger ones), so Chris Rud kept topping off the fuel tanks until I got to the handle   LL~
Thanks to Bill Smith and Chris Rud (pitting) and Larry Lindburg (prop) for helping getting this thing airborne.
Fred

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
Tree Town modelaires is the club name. We fly off of an unused pad at the airport in Sugar Grove, Illinois.

In the last video you'll notice we have to make 10 laps for points in scale. Fred's tanks were a little small so Chris is topping them off constantly till launch.
The engines when broke in right will start in 3 or less flips but I found out that I got better more consistent runs on 10% nitro and 5-4 black tornado props
instead of the 25% I had been using.
needled up they would do 16'500rpm and run fairly smooth.
harmonics between twin engines made the fuel foam so the tanks are coming of and ballons are replacing them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:15:13 PM by Bill Smith »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »

Thanks for the videos guys, great stuff! H^^
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
outstanding!! this looks like an exciting day!

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
Fred we need a picture of your plane here.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »
Are you going to do the 1/2 A next year again?  Is it conjunction with other scale or is it 1/2 A only.  Might come up next year.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
we have three weekends in a row that we have something going on.
weekend 1.  pampa stunt, fox racing, speed, and scale (includes 1/2a I think? I'll get back to you).
weekend 2   family fun fly, bring the kids. there's food and planes for kids to fly.
weekend 3   1/2a stunt, 1/2a scale (profile standoff, sorta scale) and our Coxy hazel event Sig 1/2a Skyrays with cox .049 integral tank engines.

Feel free to come to any of them.

PS. during this time we also have a Porto can on sight.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:29:55 PM by Bill Smith »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
we have the weekends in a row that we have something going on.
weekend 1.  pampa stunt, fox racing, speed, and scale (includes 1/2a I think? I'll get back to you).
weekend 2   family fun fly, bring the kids. there's food and planes for kids to fly.
weekend 3   1/2a stunt, 1/2a scale (profile standoff, sorta scale) and our Coxy hazel event Sig 1/2a Skyrays with cox .049 integral tank engines.

Feel free to come to any of them.

PS. during this time we also have a Porto can on sight.

When you get the date set for next summer let me know.   I may can combine it with next summers vacation.                     
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Here's pics of my He219 that Bill requested.  It now has larger fuel tanks than those pictured.

Offline richardhfcl

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 82448
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
"Treetown" is actually Elmhurst, Illinois.  Legend has it that the model airplane club got its

name from the town when they held their meetings in the basement of Al's Hobby Shop.  Though Al's

is no longer the meeting site and has, in fact, closed the club is still known as a great bunch of guys.

'
Richard Ferrell

AMA 82448

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
A few years ago Allen Brickhaus asked the Tree Town secretary (me) to generate a history of the club for an article in Allen's column in Flying Models.
Here is that article minus the modern day updates (they have changed somewhat since the article was written).
Fred

The Tree Town Modelaires

Many thanks to Harry Higley (an original member) and Les Otto (who joined in the 2nd year) for the early history of our club.

The Treetown Modelaires was formed in 1953 in Elmhurst, Il., with Herbert Weith the driving force.  The first meetings were held in Herb’s basement.  Most of the members were teenagers with beginner level skills.  Chuck Jensen, an adult scale modeler was the first president and Harry Higley was the secretary.  Al’s Hobby Shop, owned by Al Fuschen Sr., was a sponsor of the club.  Les Otto joined the club in its 2nd year and about this time they began meeting down the street from Al’s Hobby Shop in the basement of a building at the corner of 1st and Addison.  Funds were donated to purchase materials and building benches were constructed.  Elmhurst airport authorities allowed them to fence off flying areas.  3 circles were laid out and enclosed.  Interest in model aviation was high at the time and it was not unusual to see 30 to 40 cars of spectators at the field on Sundays.

The skill level of the young members grew rapidly with their main interest being combat.  The Torp 35 powered Ringmaster was the plane of choice.  Within a couple years Ted ‘Uncle Teddy’ Jourasch designed new combat ships based on the Ringmaster airfoil.  The first one was a straight-winged variant called the ‘Butterfly’ and the second a swept wing version with upright engine called the ‘Firefly’.  Both variants had replaceable tail surfaces.

Harry Higley was primarily a stunt flier.  Harry recalls the most common stunt planes were the All American Sr. and the Barnstormer with the Nobler being built from plans.  Most stunt fliers used the Fox 35.

A number of the club members went to the 1954 Glenview NATS and Les remembers meeting Admiral Nimitz, which left quite an impression on a 16 yr old.  In 1956, Herb Weith took 12 members to the Dallas NATS and they won a fair amount of trophies.  Harry was 2nd in 1/2A speed with a Thermal Hopper powered plane.

The Des Plaines Piston Poppers were their arch rival in inter-club competitions.  Tree town members began serious team racing and painted all their planes the same pattern with different colors and named them after the planets.  Accused of having a ‘sissy’ name the Tree Town boys were ferocious competitors.

Due to the changing location of leader members, the club moved from Elmhurst about 1960.  The current club members are only familiar with its present location.

The Tree Town members have never lost the competitive spirit, thus the majority are strong C/L competitors.  Most of us also have other model aviation interests, e.g. FF, indoor electric R/C, etc.  Many of our members are also active members of other model flying clubs.

The Tree Town Modelaires meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month, at VFW Post 503, 5101 Belmont, Downs Grove, IL.   Meetings start around 8:00p.m.  For more information, contact the club secretary, Fred Krueger, at (630) 849-7298 or fpkpampa9@att.net.  Everyone is welcome.

Fred Krueger
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:00:50 PM by Fred Krueger »

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »
Back during my racing days, late '70s - early '80s, I was a Tree Town member.  I still have the T-shirt. 

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
Thank you Fred.
You are much better source of information than I am.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here