News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:46:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Give me the dope on brushes  (Read 1312 times)

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Give me the dope on brushes
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »
After spending 40 skins on a new dope brush,  :o  I'm curious to what other folks are using.  The one I bought reeks of quality, and has the softest bristles I've ever seen, just wondering if there's a good brush out there for decent money.  I've tried the 10 dollar "camel hair" brush with mixed results.

Gonzo
Gonzo

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Give me the dope on brushes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
Any good camel hair brush is good from an art store is good if taken care of.   I clean mine after use as much as I can.  It still gets stiff.  I soak in thinner or acetone before using again.   The metal fural has to crimped once in a while.   Another thing I do is between coats of dope I let the brush hang in the inner in a small jar.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Give me the dope on brushes
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
I just use the cheapest possible brushes for building up clear.  If they lose a bristle or two some fine sanding will take it off.

The real painting is doen with an air brush.

By the way, modern dope can be re-disolved with thinner or acetone.  The old stuff (Aero Gloss of the 60's) dried with a chemical change that could not be reversed. 

In the old days I could do a multi-color brush job with no problem.  With current dope the second color will disolve the first and make new color.  Hence the air brush system.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here