News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flew an awesome Pathfinder today! Now with video  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Flew an awesome Pathfinder today! Now with video
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Wow!  What a plane. I flew the fantastic Pathfinder that my brother Curtis built at Gordon Delaney's home back in the late 90's.  Gordon has been a great friend to us and it was built under his careful guidance.  This plane hasn't flown in many years,  but it sure flew very nicely today.   First big plane I have ever flown.  I was nervous and timid, but after only flying 1/2a stuff, it was an eye opener to see what a proper modern stunt ship feels like on the lines.

This plane has a cool history.   After my brother finished the plane,  Gordon took it and campaigned with it at many contests.  It has had so many of the great stunt fliers take flights with it.   If you have flown this plane, please comment.  I'm sure my brother would love to hear about it.

edit photo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:12:51 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flew an awesome Pathfinder today!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:44:34 PM »
Too Cool!   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Flew an awesome Pathfinder today!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:13:26 AM »
Brent,

Thanks for Posting.

Yes, I'm flying one now.

It's an ARF, but none the lest, still a Pathfinder.

Flies extreamly well. Tracks nicely and does go where you put it.

The Pathfinder you have is certainly a fine looking model, and I'll bet, well built!

Good luck with it.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flew an awesome Pathfinder today! Now with video
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
I have uploaded a video of my brother Curtis flying the Pathfinder.  He has had a lot of his plate and this was his first time flying this plane in probably 8-10 years or so.  It was also his first flight with a real stunt ship in many years as he's only flown with my 1/2A contraptions a few times this year to shake off some rust.  He was ecstatic after the looooong flight about how great this plane flies.

The engine is a brand new Randy Smith prepped OS .40FP.  Kind of a strange surging sound.  14 minutes out of 3.5oz of fuel!??

:)

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
The engine is a brand new Randy Smith prepped OS .40FP.  Kind of a strange surging sound.  14 minutes out of 3.5oz of fuel!??

I think your engine was brutally lean.  Never ran a 40 FP, but I would venture a guess that the fuel economy should be at least half that.  The "surging sound" is really sagging.  Hope you didn't cook the engine.
Gonzo

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
I agree, it's very lean.  The engine wasn't terribly over heated upon landing, though.  We need to check the position of the spray bar, as we had to flip the needle valve assembly and may have the hole pointing in a less than optimal position.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
I have not run a .40FP either, but if it runs at all, the spraybar hole position is not the problem. Is there a fuel filter? Does the elderly tank have 'stuff' in it that's causing the problem? New fuel hoses, I hope? Too small an outlet on the muffler? Not enough oil in the fuel? Too much prop? The good thing is that a new OS .46LA-S will bolt right in. Good luck and good flying!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
Kinda reminds me of a Nobler we used to fly here. it was nothing to get over a hundred laps...then one day the piston gave it up. LOL! Cool plane! H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline peter jurczyk

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »
Pretty sure I remember that plane flying at contests here in so cal. Ill bet I have pics of it from the contests when it was brand new :) and Id say if gordon was flying it it was a great airplane and built perfectly. Man its been along time since Ive flown and Im getting the bug again

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »
The engine could be gummed up with cooked castor. Try some all synthetic run rich on the ground where you can control the rpm. A quart or two should take care of it. Check the nose area for stiffness. Watch for bubbles in the fuel lines.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here