News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refinishing - Teosawki  (Read 725 times)

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Refinishing - Teosawki
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
I am in the process of recovering the wing on my Teosawki.  When I removed the original covering I found what appears to be silkspan covering the foam leading edge.  I am trying to restore it exactly like the original.  Does anyone know what this covering is and what was used to adhere it to the foam?

Thanks-Jim
JCAT

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Refinishing - Teosawki
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
Silkspan or lite wrapping paper.  Here is a link - see reply #4 and 5.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=24204.0
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
Jim,

Glad to see you are refinishing the teosawki, I have a couple of original built by Clayton,   The latest one I obtained from Allen brickhaus  family after he passed ,  the best I can tell , it was next to the last one  built , I think Gene Martine has the last one

Mine   appear to be covered in some type of light tan /white paper , different from silkspan, could be some  type of tissue paper , I can sand it off , it blends easy , so it is applied with some type of glue  that is clear  and very sandable .  Who knows what he used , probably some hi tech russian space garbage bag .

I am in the process of covering and repairing mine that I have flown for over 10 years,  I too wanted to retain all of the Clayton look, including the  wood  thrust shims , petty blue wing tips , trick wheel retainers  ( lock washers in his groves )and cotter pin pushrod guide .

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
Crist and Will, thanks for the info.  I took a closer look at some of the paper that I could get off in one piece and it does appear to be medium silkspan.  In checking around I found a adhesive water based product called Balsaloc that works like Stix or Balsarite but is a low temp and foam compatible.

Thanks. Jim
JCAT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here