News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Teosawki finished and first flights  (Read 2744 times)

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Teosawki finished and first flights
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
Well, it is finally finished and I flew it yesterday.  The CG came out spot on the centre of the spar and the dry weight was exactly 32oz.
It flew well and will be better when I have got is better trimmed.  I feel as though I am holding some down on when I am flying and the speed is a bit quick (4.5sec/lap) and a bit short of range 4.5 mins on the tank that prefiously gave me 6.5 mins when I had the same engine combination in my Mo-Best.  I made a new venturie and started off with a 7.4mm hole with a 4mm spraybar and this is too big I think. Next time out I will use a 7mm venturie and I will probably reduce the nitro from 8% to 5%.

I had 3 flights and learnt something each time.  It turns well in both directions and has a sufficiently sharp corner for the squares.

Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Teosawki finished and first flights
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
Nice, I like it!

How did you do the LE?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »
The LE is hotwired foam  It was a strukggle to work out a way to achieve what I was aiming for but I now know how to do it.
I covered it in Christmas wrapping paper.
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
Looks great!
What muffler are using?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
Hi Paul

The silencer is one I made.  There are drawing here:-
http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/aeromodelling/st51/ST_51_tube_muffler.pdf
That drawing is for the ST 51 but if anyone is interested I have the drawings for the LA 46, the Eyna 45 and the ED Hunter

Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
I would be interested in a set of leading edges.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
Hi Paul

The silencer is one I made.  There are drawing here:-
http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/aeromodelling/st51/ST_51_tube_muffler.pdf
That drawing is for the ST 51 but if anyone is interested I have the drawings for the LA 46, the Eyna 45 and the ED Hunter

Your a handy kind of guy.
My next question was going to be where do I buy one. 👍
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Good looking airplane.  Love the muffler.  What does it weigh?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
For all that it looks like a slow combat plane that wandered into a stunt contest by mistake, I think you could come contest with us and get a few appearance points -- you did a very good job making that design look good.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Great project!! One of my all time favorites!! Looks great, hope it flies well for you!!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
Mike, great job.

You really did keep it light at 32 oz dry. If you look at Wayne Foster's list of specifications for the Teo, he shows Clayton's at 24 oz, without engine, muffler and tank. I just weighed a LA46 w/front NVA at 8 7/8 oz plus 2 3/4 oz muffler plus 1 5/8 oz for tank which equals 13 1/4 oz. Add this to the 24 oz bare plane and his total would come up to 37 1/4 oz dry.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
Mine weight from 36 to 39ounces with standard la46 with  big rc muffler , mike did a great job on the weight , there's some weight to save with wood selection, muffler , covering , etc, I believe the Fascal has excessive weight over some lighter  coverings ,
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:36 AM »
My silencer weighs 1.2oz (33gm) compared to the 3oz weight of the standard silencer(both including mtg bolts).  I covered the model with lightweight tissue (actually some that my wife had wrapped around some flowers hence the colour). The leading edge is covered with light Christmas wrapping paper.  The ply fusalage sides were 1/16" ply rather than 3/32" as I have failed to find a source of 3/32"  The spars were cedar rather than spruce as that was what I had in stock (the cedar was cut from shelves salvaged from Cambridge University Chemistry department and were at least 100 years old and very dry).  The stabiliser was built-up.  I chose light wood for all parts.  I didn't make a special effort to save weight but I am generally a light builder.

I have now made a couple of new venturies one Ø7.0mm and one Ø6.5mm and will try them next time out.  I am hoping that this will give me control of the engine which currently is too fast and using too much fuel.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:12:16 AM by pipemakermike »
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
Mike,

Are you that gentleman that's doing all the design renderings, detail drawings for a locomotive?

If so, could you please provide a link to that restoration, I had it once and cannot find it.

If you are the guy, the skills you have to provide for and compliment that project is amazing.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
Hi Charles

Yes, that is me. I have been working on this since the beginning of 2011 and we are now well on with the build and the design.  I am currently working on the front pony truck and it is proving quite demanding.  I guess that we are well over half way thrugh the build and more than three quarters through the design.  The aim is to have it running by the end of 2015 (although that is probably the earliest).

Here is a link to my blog of the work.  I try to update it at least every couple of weeks and more often if I have achieved more.

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/baldwin242/baldwin.htm

and a picture of the blast stand which is the last finished component.

Regards
Mike Nelson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here