News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AERO TIGER 36 VS OSLA46S  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
AERO TIGER 36 VS OSLA46S
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »
I would like info on comparing the Aero Tiger 36 to the LA46S; as to power, usability, etc. Planes to be used with either engine go from a Nobler, Vector 40, and Gieseke Nobler component kit up to a Brodak Cardinal or a Cardinal Evolution 40. I have several of the engines, so purchase is not a problem.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: AERO TIGER 36 VS OSLA46S
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
I would like info on comparing the Aero Tiger 36 to the LA46S; as to power, usability, etc. Planes to be used with either engine go from a Nobler, Vector 40, and Gieseke Nobler component kit up to a Brodak Cardinal or a Cardinal Evolution 40. I have several of the engines, so purchase is not a problem.

I would use an Aero Tiger in any of those.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »
I'm a big fan of the OS LA46 and think they are likely the best stunt engine around for anything like what they cost.  They will turn a bigger prop than the Aero Tiger but none of the airplanes you mentioned need that.

So, for the airplanes you mentioned I would also choose the Aero Tiger to use if they were available to me.  It's tough to beat the consistency of the run and overall reliability of the Aero Tiger.  They will likely outlast the LA46 two to one or more.  Also some of the airplanes you named would likely require a little tail weight to balance the LA46.

I would say however if I had an LA46 and didn't have an Aerotiger I would not worry about it I would simply use the LA, and not really be handicapped.

If you were using airplanes in the 50 to 56 oz range then the LA46 would in my opinion, have a distinct advantage with a larger prop.

However others may disagree!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
I have several LA 46 engines and love them! Great stunt engine at a great price. I have one currently on a 60 oz plane swinging a 12 1/4 prop with ease. But they are heavy. No experience with the Aero Tiger, so no comment. But, the Brodak 40 is a good strong engine and light weight to boot. I have one in a 43 oz plane swinging an 11 1/2 inch prop with ease.

Personally, I think the LA 46 is a bit of overkill and too heavy for a Nobler size plane.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
John Simpson !

Enough said.

IMHO.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
Guys,
Thanks for the replies.

The original question states that I already owned the engines. Please give opinions along that context. Thanks.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
Both are pretty wonderful engines. Both will start easily and run very well. Actually, both will be very happy on the TT Cyclone 11 x 4.5 prop. I'd say that if you're still crashing occasionally, you'd be better off using the .46LA. If you're past the crashing phase, then either will work really well. Certainly, weight (and size) matters for smaller Classic models.

I launched Pete Peterson's AT .36 powered "Caprice" frequently over a season or more, and was always impressed with the easy starting and excellent power. Last Memorial Day weekend in Salem, I launched Bob Duncan's AT .36 powered "Imitation" several times. That's a really big airplane for a .36, but it hauled it very well, and always after a 1 flip start. It seems to me that he flew it in both Profile and Advanced, but I could be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure I launched it more than a couple of flights and always 1 flip starts. I can't imagine a sweeter combination than a G-Nobler and an AT .36.  H^^ Steve  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:34:34 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:12:16 AM »
(clip)
I launched Pete Peterson's AT .36 powered "Capris" frequently over a season or more, and was always impressed with the easy starting and excellent power. Last Memorial Day weekend in Salem, I launched Bob Duncan's AT .36 powered "Imitation" several times. That's a really big airplane for a .36, but it hauled it very well, and always after a 1 flip start. It seems to me that he flew it in both Profile and Advanced, but I could be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure I launched it more than a couple of flights and always 1 flip starts. [font=Verdana]I can't imagine a sweeter combination than a G-Nobler and an AT .36.  H^^ Steve  [/font]
[/color]

Right you are Steve...

My 36 oz AT powered G. Nobler...Sweet Stuff!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Guys,
Thanks for the replies.

The original question states that I already owned the engines. Please give opinions along that context. Thanks.

Sorry Guy if you did not get my drift.
John Simpson uses the AT 36 exclusively and has won the Nats as well as other contest with that engine.
I personally have no experience with it other then seeing them in action.
If you have both and not worried about price then try them both and you tell us.

Again IMHO it is like comparing a Chevy to a Toyota. Chevy's are cheap and dependable. Toyota the same but cost a little more but you get more mileage out of a Toyota. (Your mileage might vary)

I have yet to wear out a LA engine so that again may tell you what I know.

If Money was not concern I would buy a AT.

Because you have both can you weigh them and provide the results?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
aero-tiger  over the la46 anyday
ALAN E BUCK

Advertise Here
Tags: