News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
"International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
I posted this down in the 1/2A building section, but some of Y'all bigger fliers might like to join in.  Here's the link to the official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day" thread on the CEF.  It's where we're going to keep track of who flew what and when.  

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t7189-the-official-international-cox-pt-19-fly-it-if-you-got-it-day-thread

The Rules are simple.

1) If you got it, fly it.
2) See Rule 1.

This thread is to post your Cox PT-19 flight reports.  Just let us know who you are, where you are, and how many flights you made.  It’s called the “Fly It If You Got It Day”, but flying will be targeted for both days of the weekend of Sept. 20th and 21st.  Since we’re really strict about reporting and documentation, you must promptly report your flights, promptly I say, between Sept. 20th and whenever you remember to tell us about it.  Pictures would be nice, and videos even nicer, but are not required.  The only requirement is that you have fun dusting off your old Cox PT-19 and flying it.  Extra points if you introduce the Cox PT-19 to someone who’s never seen or flown one before.

We’ll take all the reports and keep a running tally.  If this gets enough response, we can do it again next year with flyers, and a facebook page, and even a cool logo.

Mark

Offline Kim Stricker

• Dedicated Castor-Slinger !!!
  • New Pilot
Re: "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Excellent Work Mark !!!  Thanks for coordinating this great time !!!

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
I'm in  y1 <= #^ :)! ;D

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
  I'll be putting up flights with mine on Saturday afternoon following the end of official flying at the Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale Contest at Buder Park in Valley Park, MO. I will be putting up some flights also with a Cox Stuka. I have recounted my first attempts with flying control line models elsewhere on Stunthanger, and have always wanted to recreate that point of my history, but with better results this time! If you are near the St. Louis area and want to get in on the good time, see the announcement in the events section for contests details.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
I wish I still had the PT-19 I bought at the big BX at Tan San Nhut, VietNam in early 1972 and flew between EOR operations at Bien Hoa Air Base. But there's hope: Over on facebook, in the Cox Engines forum, Shawn Adkins is looking for parts for the model so he can recreate the molds and start making the plane again. It would be less the engine, but we all have some of those, don't we? We'll see what happens...

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
Dan, when you fly the Stuka, take my advice and skip the bomb drop. In fact- be very careful if you decide to do a simulated dive bombing run, those little elevators sometimes don't have enough Ooomph to pull it out of a steep dive!

Still one of the coolest Cox planes ever, along with Miss America and the Chipmunk / ME-109 Stunters.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
I don't know where the first attempt of this reply went, but here it is again.

9 people flew my PT-19, including at least 5 who had never flown one. One guy started out stating that they don't fly! (He flew it just fine)

In flight order:

Larry Renger
Mike Jones
Bill Byles
Ron Duly
Howard Doering
Chuck Rudner
Rich Von Lopez
Paul Wescott
Leanna Wescott

The photo is of Paul, Leanna and petit moi. ( Wendy Wescott photo)

Paul and I flew the ET-1s in preparation for next week's EAA Expo at Compton airport. Good thing we did as one model had a bad motor connector!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:25:51 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Check with Cox International and Estes Industries before working on molds. The originals may well still exist!

Mike Pratt did a marvelous job of recreating the model with several improvements. The final version is what I fly and it is way better than the original. There are a couple of trivial tweaks that I would make to improve crash and fatigue resistance, but if you score the molds I will be delighted to work that through! No charge!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:32:37 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 02:49:53 AM »

9 people flew my PT-19, including at least 5 who had never flown one. One guy started out stating that they don't fly! (He flew it just fine)

In flight order:

Larry Renger
Mike Jones
Bill Byles
Ron Duly
Howard Doering
Chuck Rudner
Rich Von Lopez
Paul Wescott
Leanna Wescott

The photo is of Paul, Leanna and petit moi. ( Wendy Wescott photo)

Paul and I flew the ET-1s in preparation for next week's EAA Expo at Compton airport. Good thing we did as one model had a bad motor connector!

Larry, was that one flight each?  If not, how many.  And I may be dense, but where did Y'all fly?  Can I repost the pic over on the CEF?

Thanks,
Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here